Triangle defense video - Marcus Soares

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by winman, Oct 22, 2010.

1. winman

winman White Belt

I put up a triangle choke video from 7th degree BJJ BB Marcus Soares

Now I am putting up the defense for the triangle choke

I think it is pretty simple, but you have to get your hand free before he can pull it across other wise you will tap out

I like this defense but it has to be done quick

YouTube - Triangle Choke Defense - Marcus Soares - Vancouver Grappling

does anyone else have other triangle defense?

I personally am not that great about getting out of a triangle once it is one pretty tight

2. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

I was curious looking through some of the other videos...

What is a "Bitch Lock" ???

3. Vovchanchyn Fan

Vovchanchyn Fan Green Belt

Thanks for posting this Winman.

I like the simplicity of it compared to some of the others that I know. It reminds me of the telephone defense against the arm triangle and I use that whenever I get caught there. I'm going to try it out next week for sure and see how it goes (no gi).

Here's another one I just saw, for gi, but might be adaptable to no gi as well.
    YouTube - 7 x bjj world champion Bjj triangle choke escape

I like yours better though, b/c its faster to implement and I think as long as they don't peel your hands off before your drop your head down, it should work well.

4. randomg1t

randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

the thing to do is use the outside arm to pull back on their knee, start posturing up (and actually turning your face upwards, like you want to look at the ceiling) and pressing your hips forward.

if i can't do that i wrap the locked arm around their leg and start turning away, giving up the omoplata.

and if i can't do that i put the hand of the caught arm on their hip, keep the elbow as tight as possible to avoid the kimura and then turn my hips to the side of the caught arm, pressing with the hand. this is actually surprisingly successful at times.

i think the best thing to do is not to get caught in one in the first place anyway.