Travis Stevens wins silver using BJJ?

deweydeucalion

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Yes he is using judo but he got all the way to the finals using guard passes to pins and Bow and arrow chokes. Do you see the future of American/Brazilian judo being populated by bjj players? I do.

They will change the rules again before that happens.

Judo has guard passes. Judo has been using bow and arrow chokes before BJJ.

BJJ will not likely infuse with judo as a whole, as it differentiated from it, and a good number (most i find) jiu jiteiros can't stand being taken down in a tournament, how do you think they'd like doing 30 minutes daily being thrown?

BJJ will not likely infuse with judo as a whole, as it differentiated from it, and a good number (most i find) jiu jiteiros can't stand being taken down in a tournament, how do you think they'd like doing 30 minutes daily being thrown?
In my opinion bjj is judo, just with different rules. Judo makes you a better bjj player and the reverse is true. Every competitor is looking for an edge, cross training is the edge. Travis was so close to gold.

I agree, but most don't, hence their lack of interest in taking up judo, and the lack of focus of throws/takedowns in BJJ as a whole.

I notice that the more non physical bjj players are the ones that do not want to wrestle (ever) and just flop or butt scoot. Nothing wrong with that. I'm thinking that the athletes of the bjj class can focus on judo cross training. Judo culture is slowly changing to cross train as the coaches get younger.

He won using Judo. Nothing about what he did, or the techniques he used was very unique. Several other Judoka have done the same things and medaled.

Part of the other issue is finding someone to teach it well. Judo is a very hard art to get decent at. And this isn't accounting for the effects of throws, just the know how to and when to.

The only thing that reminded of a BJJ strategy from Travis Stevens was when he tried a few pulldowns to newaza early in the match against the Georgian guy and got shido'd for it. The way he punished that fake seio-nage attemt with a lapel choke is typical for judo though.

He won using Judo. Nothing about what he did, or the techniques he used was very unique. Several other Judoka have done the same things and medaled.
In the men's? no, I don't think so. 81k was a murderers row, such an amazing tournament. The ground attack of Travis was very unique.

Part of the other issue is finding someone to teach it well. Judo is a very hard art to get decent at. And this isn't accounting for the effects of throws, just the know how to and when to.
True. There are few schools where I live and fewer training partners. I think the player just has to make do with books, internet and training with your local wrestling styles and competing in judo and getting slammed threw the tatami and learning from your mistakes.

That he developed at renowned Jukoka Renzo Grazie's academy.

The only thing that reminded of a BJJ strategy from Travis Stevens was when he tried a few pulldowns to newaza early in the match against the Georgian guy and got shido'd for it. The way he punished that fake seio-nage attemt with a lapel choke is typical for judo though.
Yes, it is all judo. The only bjj tech that is not in judo is the stuff that doesn't work in a fight like worm guard,rubber guard, x guard and that junk. Travis being very aggressive in turning the opponent from the stomach, the double leg grab pass, those are common tactics in bjj and not so common in "male" judo. bjj is just a different style of judo as is sombo.

Screen-Shot-2016-08-09-at-11.08.28-PM.png

I don't think anyone is denying that all BJJ techniques are derived from Judo. The point is BJJ hones the techniques that are successful on the ground. This year the refs allowed far more newaza than I've ever seen and it was great. If this trend continues than Judo programs with weak Newaza will see their athletes cross train with the neighborhood BJJ dealer.

I'm curious to hear what he himself has to say on the subject. Of course every technique he used was 'judo,' but the question is to what extent training BJJ specifically improved or facilitated his execution of those techniques in a competitive elite judo context.

That he developed at renowned Jukoka Renzo Grazie's academy.

Yes you're right, I'm sure he didnt know how to pass guard, pin or do a bow and arrow choke in Judo before he went to Renzos place.

Guess the scores of other Judo competitors who have won big with the same strategy should probably tell them what they were doing was not Judo.

The only bjj tech that is not in judo is the stuff that doesn't work in a fight like worm guard,rubber guard, x guard and that junk.

You mean in a judo fight? X guard has worked in mma at the elite level (Conor swep Diaz with it).

Yes, it is all judo. The only bjj tech that is not in judo is the stuff that doesn't work in a fight like worm guard,rubber guard, x guard and that junk. Travis being very aggressive in turning the opponent from the stomach, the double leg grab pass, those are common tactics in bjj and not so common in "male" judo. bjj is just a different style of judo as is sombo.

A choke like that will start already before the throwing action goes to the mat, just a quick adjustment of the lapel grip and the rest is pretty much details...

I'm curious to hear what he himself has to say on the subject. Of course every technique he used was 'judo,' but the question is to what extent training BJJ specifically improved or facilitated his execution of those techniques in a competitive elite judo context.

http://bjjstyle.com/fighter-in-focus-travis-stevens/

JJS: Could you talk us through a typical week of training? How many sessions, any strength and conditioning and rehabilitation work?

TRAVIS: I guess the easiest way to do this is to make a timetable of my training week:

Monday:
7:15-8:15 nogi BJJ

10:30-12 judo

12:30-1:45 running and sprints

2-3:30 lifting

6:30-8 judo

10:30-11:30 running (only 1 week out from departure to competition)

Tuesday:

7-8:30 judo

12-1:30 BJJ

5:15-6:30 BJJ

Wednesday:

7:15-8:15 nogi BJJ

10:30-12 judo

12:30-1:45 running and sprints

6:30-8 judo

Thursday:

12-1:30 BJJ

5:15-6:30 BJJ

10:30-11:30 running (only 1 week out from departure of competition)

Friday:

8:45-9:15 running and sprinting

10:30-12 lifting

6:30-9 BJJ

Saturday:
11-12 BJJ Teo BJJ

12-1 nogi Teo BJJ

2-3:30 gi RGA Manhattan

Sunday:
10-12 BJJ

Back