Travis Mash calls out Rippetoe

Obscure Terror

Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/09/18/truth-experts-part-2/

Waiting for someone on the SS forum to post this and get a repsonse. Popcorn is a cooking.

My view is that people are misunderstanding Rip's "hip drahve" cue and good morning-ing their squats. But it's Rip's responsibility to address this. The result is the above.

Don't agree that high bar squats are for athletes. Athletes need to be strong. Do whichever type of squat helps you get strong, whether it be low, high, front, overhead or zercher.

Side note: JTS sure seem to be posting some controversial articles recently (this and the high rep Oly weightlifting Crossfit nuthugger article). Chad Wesley Smith must want more ad revenue from traffic.

Yes, I'm aware of the irony of linking to the article and you all reading it with the above sentence.

Yawn - you hit the nail on the head. Controversial articles to drahve traffic to the site.

Rip's cues definitely made me GM my squats when I was a beginner.

But, I can't really see how an inch or two of variation in where you hold the bar on your back, would make a practical difference in terms of how applicable your strength is to sports.

But, I can't really see how an inch or two of variation in where you hold the bar on your back, would make a practical difference in terms of how applicable your strength is to sports.

Agreed. Strength is GPP for athletes. Unless you're a powerlifter or Oly lifter just fucking squat and get stronger at it. Then do actual specific work later to try and get some training transfer if you're a)Strong and b)Good enough at your sport.

I have grown to love the world of Crossfit...
And here is a video that is correctly how to teach a squat:
In contrast, Gray Cook, the best Physical Therapist,
I have watched videos of all the great squatters in history: Ed Coan, Steve Goggins, Dan Green, Chad Wesley Smith, Shane Hammons, and Kirk Karwoski.

He lost all his credibility in the first sentence. His grammatical mistakes didn't help his case. Then he further hurt himself in my eyes by nut hugging on Gray Cook. The nail in the coffin was when he spoke about CWS in the same sentence as guys like Ed, Steve Goggins, and Kirk.

I don't agree with everything rip says, but this is just a poor attempt at increasing traffic.

Did not know Mash was in NC.

That complicates things...

Stopped reading at:

These days, there are a tonne of legit strength people associated with CrossFit, especially Oly lifters. The coaches on my Oly course, Mark Canella and Drew Dillon, are 100% legit (Mark Canella is the Holly Mangold's head coach and organizes the Oly contest at the Arnold). The article mentions Jon North who is a top American Oly lifter (and who is also reportedly raking it in teaching CrossFitters to lift properly). If you check out the Don McCauley videos on YouTube showing Oly drills, you can see they're all out of a CrossFit gym- he's a top coach (AFAIK).

It's a chance for them to make decent money and actually aspire to more than one day owning a gym that barely breaks even if they are lucky. I am sure they will all say that they love CrossFit or have come to love it in their public writing. Possibly some do, but certainly none of them are going to trash it and ruin their chances of making decent money.

^Yeah, Crossfit has become a cash cow for strength coaches, former competitive lifters and gym owners, so they're jumping on the bandwagon in droves. The silver lining is that since a lot of these guys actually know something about strength training, they are co-opting Crossfit and changing it from the inside.

At first I couldn

I read most of it and then stopped when it became a desperate cry for attention and controversy.

For the record, I'm not a big fan of Rippetoes technique on squats either. Actually, I'm not a huge fan of the way he teaches press either.

^Yeah, Crossfit has become a cash cow for strength coaches, former competitive lifters and gym owners, so they're jumping on the bandwagon in droves. The silver lining is that since a lot of these guys actually know something about strength training, they are co-opting Crossfit and changing it from the inside.

This is how my gym does it. Most gyms I have worked at or worked out at do it in this manner unless the CF instructor doesnt have a strong understanding of sport science.

You didnt want to read the advice about squatting by a guy who put up 970lbs because you dont like crossfit? Seems a bit silly.

These days, there are a tonne of legit strength people associated with CrossFit, especially Oly lifters. The coaches on my Oly course, Mark Canella and Drew Dillon, are 100% legit (Mark Canella is the Holly Mangold's head coach and organizes the Oly contest at the Arnold). The article mentions Jon North who is a top American Oly lifter (and who is also reportedly raking it in teaching CrossFitters to lift properly). If you check out the Don McCauley videos on YouTube showing Oly drills, you can see they're all out of a CrossFit gym- he's a top coach (AFAIK).

It's a chance for them to make decent money and actually aspire to more than one day owning a gym that barely breaks even if they are lucky. I am sure they will all say that they love CrossFit or have come to love it in their public writing. Possibly some do, but certainly none of them are going to trash it and ruin their chances of making decent money.

K, I guess my attempt at humour was completely lost. What's with this place?

For the record I read the article and I was right to have stopped where I did. I am no smrtr than before.

This guy has jumped on the CF money wagon. Who can blame him? It has nothing to do with how awesome the coaches are, or whatever he says, its all about the money. If I had the background to become a weightlifting or powerlifting coach, I would too. In fact I would coach high and long jump at a crossfit gym if they'd let me. Frequenting a CF box tells me a few things about you. One is that you like funky clothing and two, but more importantly in this specific case, you are willing to shell out copious amounts of money, so why not.

Hey, don't you know that squatz are super srs bizness!

I do like some humour thrown in with the good discussion going on here.

I find it interesting that oly and powerlifting coaches have so much more opportunity in the Crossfit world. Hopefully this leads to better recruiting for those sports as the athletes who show potential might want to compete in a 'real' sport. I take this as further proof of the fact that Crossfit 'won' the 'fitness revolution' in terms of popularity. Maybe Crossfit is just a fad though and all these legit coaches will start leading the decent athletes down the right paths.

Overriding vibe I get from Crossfit is that they like to get into verbal wars and make everything "us versus them".

Well, in fairness to me, people here say things like this in complete seriousness very often. Without anything else to go on, it's not unreasonable to take it in the same way.

Hey, don't you know that squatz are super srs bizness!

I do like some humour thrown in with the good discussion going on here.

I find it interesting that oly and powerlifting coaches have so much more opportunity in the Crossfit world. Hopefully this leads to better recruiting for those sports as the athletes who show potential might want to compete in a 'real' sport. I take this as further proof of the fact that Crossfit 'won' the 'fitness revolution' in terms of popularity. Maybe Crossfit is just a fad though and all these legit coaches will start leading the decent athletes down the right paths.

CF folk are obviously willing to spend money on exercise, so why not? As far as I am concerned some people are retards and some aren't. Its up to you to figure out who you want to listen to. CF has done some good things for strength sports and sports medicine clinics, so I'm in!

Overriding vibe I get from Crossfit is that they like to get into verbal wars and make everything "us versus them".

Honestly, most of it (on the small, local level that I am exposed to) makes them look really stupid. But it gets people talking, which is not a bad thing.

Well, in fairness to me, people here say things like this in complete seriousness very often. Without anything else to go on, it's not unreasonable to take it in the same way.

I know. But I figured my tenure might offer me some leeway.

Back