Travelling to Japan - need advice!

TS if you are there 8 nights or whatever there may be a few people recommending a Shinkansen trip to Kyoto, however, with as much to offer in the Tokyo/Yokohama area you really can spend all of your time there. If it's your first time you do not want to try to over-do it. I am located by the Hiroshima area and attractions are more limited down here compared to where you will be.

This is just the tip and not everything; Tokyo Tower & Sky Tree, Disneyland, Shibuya & Roppongi district, Tokyo & Yokohoma marinas, Ueno Zoo, Kamakura Buddha. For specific details on individual restaurants & bars just ask or pm me.

Convince the gang to go see ZST!44 live at differ ariake
View the city at Tokyo Tower or somewhere else
Visit dat Fish market

I live right next to Differ, I'd invite you over for a drink but I don't like people.

There's a good observation deck at Shiodome (free), which is right next to Hamarikyu garden (nice Japanese garden), which is right next to the fish market, which isn't far from Differ, which isn't far from Odaiba (Fuji TV, big Gundam, Toyota Mega Web), which isn't far from Ageha.

TS if you are there 8 nights or whatever there may be a few people recommending a Shinkansen trip to Kyoto, however, with as much to offer in the Tokyo/Yokohama area you really can spend all of your time there. If it's your first time you do not want to try to over-do it. I am located by the Hiroshima area and attractions are more limited down here compared to where you will be.

This is just the tip and not everything; Tokyo Tower & Sky Tree, Disneyland, Shibuya & Roppongi district, Tokyo & Yokohoma marinas, Ueno Zoo, Kamakura Buddha. For specific details on individual restaurants & bars just ask or pm me.

Awesome stuff thanks man!

I live right next to Differ, I'd invite you over for a drink but I don't like people.

There's a good observation deck at Shiodome (free), which is right next to Hamarikyu garden (nice Japanese garden), which is right next to the fish market, which isn't far from Differ, which isn't far from Odaiba (Fuji TV, big Gundam, Toyota Mega Web), which isn't far from Ageha.

Awesome advice! I'm going to be screaming "AXION!!!!!" up and down the roads by Differ until you're forced to come outside

Awesome advice! I'm going to be screaming "AXION!!!!!" up and down the roads by Differ until you're forced to come outside

My windows are double-glazed.

There's a boat you can take from Hamarikyu gardens to Odaiba which might be something different for you (also goes to Asakusa - Sensoji etc).

A couple of MMA/kakutougi bars in Tokyo, there's one near my workplace in Shimokitazawa, I haven't been there but I've been told the owner has a big DVD collection and will put on events by request.

I am jealous you get to go to Japan.

I would love to train martial arts there
Stay in micro apartment
go to vending machine and purchase used underwear

No particular order.

Stay in micro apartment

No particular order.

Bullshit, we know which one you'd do first.

Stay in micro apartment

No particular order.

been cruising street view just for this

Now's a great time to go since the JPY is so weak.

Go for a walk with Enson.

If you're going to Gibli Museum, get lunch or dinner at Satou Steakhouse. It's on the way and well worth the trip.

Try to get reservations at Sukiyabashi Jiro in Ginza, or if you can't, go to his son's place in Roppongi Hills. It's about $300 a head, but well worth it.

Joel Robuchon also has a spot in Roppongi Hills thats about $20-40 a head that's great eats.

Lots of stores to get vinyl, vintage cameras or watches in Tokyo, too, if that's your thing.

Unless you have really cheap airfare, you might be better off getting a one week rail pass only available to tourists. If taking Skyline or other train to Tokyo, get a round trip pass with a few days subway pass at NRT. It'll save you a few bucks.

If you want to get a full body tebori tattoo, I know a guy...

My windows are double-glazed.

There's a boat you can take from Hamarikyu gardens to Odaiba which might be something different for you (also goes to Asakusa - Sensoji etc).

A couple of MMA/kakutougi bars in Tokyo, there's one near my workplace in Shimokitazawa, I haven't been there but I've been told the owner has a big DVD collection and will put on events by request.
Whoa! I'd love to see some Pride/K1 events on a big screen. Where be this bar

I second the idea of staying in Tokyo. Honestly the first/second day you should just take a tour. Very reasonable and it covers every main spot in Tokyo, depending on what package you choose.

http://www.hatobus.com/en/

For pub crawling you can do it yourself or you can try to find an organizer.

http://www.tokyopubcrawl.com

Everyonce in a while they even have events in the middle of the week. The guy who runs it has a VERY neat connection to Pride and Japanese MMA but you'd have to ask him to find out what it is. ;)

Lastly there is The Robot Restaurant. People will try to explain it to you but it's not as cool as it will sound. A show of Japanese exotic dancers riding dinosaurs while robots zoom around.

Basically it's like a chuck e cheese version of that movie Sucker Punch. I highly recommend it. It unapologetically hits you in the face with EVERY Japanese stereotype. It's not very foreigner friendly and it's hard to book but this site might help. Look into it on a weeknight.

https://www.govoyagin.com/activities/go-to-a-robot-restaurant/899?gclid=CNHjkorxicMCFYiCvQod8yoATw

Yoyogi park is okay. Last time I checked it was still partially quarantined due to an outbreak of dengue fever. Check it out on a Sunday. You can see 60 year old rockabillies doing the twist at the gate. Also you can visit Meiji jingu shrine, which is right next door. All of this is at harajuku station where you can see the harajuku girls and go through the ocean of young shoppers across the highway. The real posh area omote sando is like a hundred yards away if you wanna do some grown folk shopping and pick up a Gucci bag or something.

Any other questions just post up.

Last edited:
Meet up with Goonerview and spend a week as his wingman. Keep us updated

lol @ me being mentioned in this thread.

Fellow mayberrians it looks like I'm heading to Japan!

My buddy just got his first friend/family passes for the year and wants to start an "annual trip" thing! so 4 of us are going to Japan in February!

Right now the group of us have got a small list of things we would like to do/see, but was wondering if any of you who've visited Japan or are living in Japan could hook a brother up with some awesome suggestions!

Apparently we'll be staying in the Shibuya district in some rented apartment thats like a 5 minute walk away. (hopefully don't get scammed but I trust Airbnb)

to do list so far...
1. Convince the gang to go see ZST!44 live at differ ariake
2. do a Tokyo pub crawl
3. View the city at Tokyo Tower or somewhere else
4. Visit dat Fish market
5. Yoyogi Park
6. Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden
7. go ham at the Arcades
8. buy meals from vending machines
9. the missus and I want to visit the Studio Ghibli museum as well

we gonna be there for like 8 nights so we're not sure what else we can get into so any suggestions would be great!

I live in Japan and can offer you some insight. Although, I live in the countryside and enjoy a slower pace of life. I sometimes head down to the capital (was in Ikebukuro last night).

I've numbered your list:

1. Have no idea what that is.
2. There is a chain of "English pubs" called "The Hub", they are cool to visit, but a lot of people smoke in there and I personally don't like tobacco smoke. If you want to go, go during the day when it's a little quieter and less smokey.
3. Tokyo Tower is cool, but they now have the "Sky Tree" ... it's much bigger!
4. Tsukiji fish market, I did that, it was alright, if you like sashimi and sushi ...
5. Yoyogi park is huge
6. Have no idea what that is.
7. Arcades? As in game centers?? Yeah, they have UFO catcher games there, I sometimes play them, sometimes win stuff, too.
8. Vending machines. Japan has TONS of vending machines ... but 99.9% of them sell drinks .... I have never seen one that sells used underwear ... I think that myth is over-exaggerated.
9.Ghibli museum ... never been there, but heard is was kinda small.

Hope this helps.

I second the idea of staying in Tokyo. Honestly the first/second day you should just take a tour. Very reasonable and it covers every main spot in Tokyo, depending on what package you choose.

http://www.hatobus.com/en/

For pub crawling you can do it yourself or you can try to find an organizer.

http://www.tokyopubcrawl.com

Everyonce in a while they even have events in the middle of the week. The guy who runs it has a VERY neat connection to Pride and Japanese MMA but you'd have to ask him to find out what it is. ;)

Lastly there is The Robot Restaurant. People will try to explain it to you but it's not as cool as it will sound. A show of Japanese exotic dancers riding dinosaurs while robots zoom around.

Basically it's like a chuck e cheese version of that movie Sucker Punch. I highly recommend it. It unapologetically hits you in the face with EVERY Japanese stereotype. It's not very foreigner friendly and it's hard to book but this site might help. Look into it on a weeknight.

https://www.govoyagin.com/activities/go-to-a-robot-restaurant/899?gclid=CNHjkorxicMCFYiCvQod8yoATw

Yoyogi park is okay. Last time I checked it was still partially quarantined due to an outbreak of dengue fever. Check it out on a Sunday. You can see 60 year old rockabillies doing the twist at the gate. Also you can visit Meiji jingu shrine, which is right next door. All of this is at harajuku station where you can see the harajuku girls and go through the ocean of young shoppers across the highway. The real posh area omote sando is like a hundred yards away if you wanna do some grown folk shopping and pick up a Gucci bag or something.

Any other questions just post up.

damn dude great stuff thanks!

Robot restaurant sounds hilarious/incredible

lol @ me being mentioned in this thread.

I live in Japan and can offer you some insight. Although, I live in the countryside and enjoy a slower pace of life. I sometimes head down to the capital (was in Ikebukuro last night).

I've numbered your list:

1. Have no idea what that is.
2. There is a chain of "English pubs" called "The Hub", they are cool to visit, but a lot of people smoke in there and I personally don't like tobacco smoke. If you want to go, go during the day when it's a little quieter and less smokey.
3. Tokyo Tower is cool, but they now have the "Sky Tree" ... it's much bigger!
4. Tsukiji fish market, I did that, it was alright, if you like sashimi and sushi ...
5. Yoyogi park is huge
6. Have no idea what that is.
7. Arcades? As in game centers?? Yeah, they have UFO catcher games there, I sometimes play them, sometimes win stuff, too.
8. Vending machines. Japan has TONS of vending machines ... but 99.9% of them sell drinks .... I have never seen one that sells used underwear ... I think that myth is over-exaggerated.
9.Ghibli museum ... never been there, but heard is was kinda small.

Hope this helps.

thanks dude! I assumed the uunderwear vending machine was a myth as well

1. http://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/28353-zst-44
2.will definitely check this out! think there's one right near where we're staying
3. will look into the sky tree thanks!
4. this is mostly the missus idea, but I know she doesn't really like fish so I'm not sure what the appeal is there
7. yah game centers, like dance dance revolution all that stuff!
9. Yeah I'm debating whether or not to go because I figure it'd be pretty easy to come across Ghibli/Miyazaki movie stuff in shops in shibuya/akihabara

Go to Jiro's.

Do not miss this opportunity.

Dude I am not sure if it is worth it. Sushi in Japan even the conveyer belt kind is head and shoulders above American sushi. I don't know if they'd appreciate it. Save money and just go to a sushi place that let's you order by the piece. You can get some good sushi there and only drop $40 instead of $400

Vending machines are drinks and sometimes food. Check em out. Lots of odd choices esp Yakult brand. They have yogurt drinks, canned coffee which is kinda bad, there is even a goku drink in Dydo methinks?

Back