Trash Talking - Good or Bad? If you don't like it, please tell me why?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by SherdogJoe, Jan 16, 2015.

1. SherdogJoe

SherdogJoe Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

A lot of the Conor haters state that they want him to lose because of his big mouth and his trash talk etc.

I ask, why does this bother you?

In my opinion, trash talk is good for the sport for the following reasons:

- Makes people more interested in the fight.
    - Makes the fight itself more interesting because of potential bad blood.
    - Fighters get paid more if they bring more attention to themselves, so therefore Trash Talk = $$$.

So I want to ask the people who don't like it these two questions:

1. Do you disagree with any of my points as to why it's a good thing? If so which and why?
    2. What negatives do you see for engaging in trash talk?

The only negative I see is if a fighter can't back up his trash talk, then he may have to eat his words. But that's the fight business.

I think the haters are using trash talk as an excuse to hate, because at this point I don't see it having anything but a positive effect on the sport. So please to any of you who have a problem with fighters talking shit to make more money and bring more interest to the sport, what is your problem with this? Would you rather have boring guys with no personality?

2. NoBiasJustMMA

NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

It depends on if the person is genuine about it or if they are good at it. If they are not genuine when talking trash and aren't good at it then it's bad.

Stephan Bonnar shouldn't talk trash as he just makes people cringe.

Conor seems ok at trash talking but he's lost trash talking battles on twitter more often than not.

3. Post 2 Decision

Post 2 Decision Black Belt

I love trash talking, but Conor's trash talk reminds me of 4th grade

4. Degen Gambler

Degen Gambler Silver Belt

Trash talk is good when the fighter has the intention of going into the cage and backing it up. He doesn't have to be successful, he just has to give it his full effort. Its bad when its something like Stephan Bonnar talking shit to Tito and then stepping in the cage with man boobs and a 5 minute gas tank.

5. standandtrade7

standandtrade7 Blue Belt

I like it. Especially good trash talk I think is hilarious, so long as you back it up.

People on these boards hate it though.

A lot of people will say its insecurity but I resent that. As a child, I trashed talked like a motherfucker in sports but if anything it was a reflection of the confidence my parents instilled in me not insecurity.

6. OliverAtom

OliverAtom Granite Belt

As long as he can back it up and is not racist or involve the other guys family members or some stupid shit like that I'm OK with it. But I can understand why some people may not like it and there's nothing wrong with it.

7. MMAProfessional

MMAProfessional Golden Belt

There's a reason why Dana treats the trash talkers so well. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

8. Jamie Jitsu

Jamie Jitsu White Belt

I like it. Trash talk has to be backed up though. One bad by-product of the added pressure it brings to the fighter(s) is fear the of losing becomes greater, thus leading to fights that leave a lot to be desired. Real disdain makes for a good, hard nosed scrap. [​IMG]

9. Shogun Rising

Shogun Rising I am Shiva god of death

Dudes like Bonnar, Wanderlei, Phil Davis, Matt Hughes, and now Lamas—it's just this awkward forcefulness that sends douche chills all over anyone who hears it.

Guys like Rashad, Chael, Conor, Bisping, etc. These guys are great at talking and entertaining the fans, and it's only a positive in creating interest and engagement.

10. ib313

ib313 Imagine a Dystopian UFC

The value of trash talk depends.

You claim that it makes people more interested, but your post indicates that you wonder if it actually drives people away.

Trash talk can earn fights and fighters get paid for fights - but again depends on the fighter and the quality of the trash talk. Only works if the field has a lot of parity.

If you talk a lot of trash and then get your ass beat.... I'll bet your career is shorter.

Does trash talk make me more interested in a fight I might otherwise not care about. Maybe. It's working in Connor's case. Doesn't work in other cases.

11. SherdogJoe

I just don't get how some people want Conor to be KO'd for the sole reason that he talks trash when talking trash is a good thing that's good for the fighter and the sport.

12. AppliedScience

AppliedScience Brown Belt

Talking is not going to save him from:

[​IMG]

13. Zanmato

Zanmato Black Belt

i wouldn't be friends with someone that is smug, rude or generally a 'trash talker' but it certainly lends itself well to interest in a fight. you are either dying to seeing this guy back up his talk, or get smashed for being an idiot... either way you're more invested in the fight... so i'm all for it as long as it's done with wit and charisma, and not simply thuggish "ha ha i'll punch you in the head! just wait til we're in the cage" type rubbish

14. RafailNadull

RafailNadull Brown Belt

Why do you like trash talk? You, not because other people like it. Also, I'm asking personal preference here, not "because Dana will be able to buy another Ferrari if the fight makes a lot of money".-

Are you a little kid taken in by manufactured over the top drama?

I know a lot of people are more interested with trash talk, because they are primitives who might as well watch the WWE. Walk me through the thought process that has you giggle with excitement when Chael or Conor produce some rehearsed one-liners.

Here's why I don't like it.
    -it adds zero excitement to the fight
    -it attracts a retarded, primitive audience
    -the fighters are acting. they are attempting to manipulate the dumb asses
    -fighters who do it are douches which hampers with rooting interest. i don't want to root for douchelords.

15. SherdogJoe

I already listed the reason in the OP, Mr Condescending. It makes the fight more interesting and brings more attention and buzz to the fight.

Can you explain which one of the factors you disagree with and your reasons for not liking trash talk?

And yes I think drama is interesting. But calling people primitives and acting like WWE invented drama is primitive thinking on it's own.

You seem like a huge fucking asshole who deserves to be ignored and I will take that route pretty soon if you don't talk with more respect, douche.

So please educate me on why trash talk is bad? I listed reasons for it being good, money, interest etc. What's your reasoning/thought process?

16. ragreynolds

ragreynolds Orange Belt

Nothing bad can come from trash talk.

17. Air Lats

Air Lats Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest! Platinum Member

At a restraurant eating a succulent Chinese meal.
    For me, trash talk generally falls into two categories.

Using Chael as an example because he did copious amounts of both types:

1. Annoying and ridiculous personal attacks - Anderson Silva's wife comments, Brazil bashing, etc. Can be entertaining when its grossly exaggerated and obviously not true: Nog feeding a bus a carrot.

2. Awesome and interest generating - gonna punch a hole through his chest, Anderson is an easy fight for me, etc.

I don't mind a tiny bit of type 1 but it gets old fast.

I really enjoy type 2 - it creates that fun situation where the trash talking fighter either pulls it off in the cage or gets hopelessly murked and has to eat crow - either way is great.

Sorry for bad writing im sleep dep'd like a fool right now.

18. SherdogJoe

" -it adds zero excitement to the fight" Maybe for you. But generally speaking do you agree it adds excitement to the fight? It's a net gain not a net loss, right?

"-it attracts a retarded, primitive audience" - I disagree I think it attracts a wide range of people ranging from primitive to highly intelligent. The fact that you make a blanket statement like this proves that your thinking is primitive.

"-the fighters are acting. they are attempting to manipulate the dumb asses" - So, acting is bad? If it brings in attention and money, why is this bad? Not to mention that some of trash talk isn't acting, it's very real. So again this point you've made it a little off. You're too black and white.

"-fighters who do it are douches which hampers with rooting interest. i don't want to root for douchelords." So making money and attracting attention means you're a douche. Ok, it's settled. You're a douche and your opinion doesn't matter.

It's coming clear now, that the haters are just douchebag idiots. Take this poster, RafailNadull as an example. He talks about primitive thinking and then when asked about trash talk his answer is "fighters who do it are douches i don't want to root for douchelords."

I can't think of a more pathetic and immature answer. I guess the reason people don't like Conor's trash talk is they are juts a loser like RafailNadull. Ironic that his post which would normally be considered worthless, actually is helping to uncover answers.

PS I bet if I met you in real life it wouldn't take long for me to realize you're a loser in life with a negative attitude. Have fun living with yourself ;)

Conor bless.

19. Air Lats

Nice retort ... Touchy lil guy, aint he?

20. Air Lats

Could RafailNadull present with any more irony? A guy whose writing is barely coherent is complaining about other people's low intelligence.

I love it.