Trap Bar?

RJ43

The Baddy
@Gold
Reaction score
My friend just got a new bar...type...thing. It's shaped like a hexagon that you step into and hold the handles on each side and load the weight on each side also. You can do shrugs and deads with it. Anyway I don't know the name of it but I was just wondering what you guys think of using this to do deadlifts. If you don't know hat i mean, the bar can be seen in the background of the 98 rep squat video that's floating around here.

i like the trap bar a lot for deadlifts. it adds some nice variety, and is a little easier to pull with.

I was told deadlifting with a trap bar turns it from a hip dominate move into a quad dominate move...

I like the trap bar for deadlift it makes it easier to keep good form with heavy weight.

I think I'm gonna give the trap bar a shot next week. I tried it without any weight and it felt pretty good so

Anybody know where I can find a Trap Bar that can be loaded with "standard" plates? All the ones I've seen use olympic

i doubt you will find a trap bar with standard plates...just keep your eyes open on E-bay, craigslist, new papers, yard sales, and flemarkets for olympic styled freeweights.

trap bar is ok for improvising farmers walk, and for shrugs, but deadlifting with them is inferior to a regular barbell.

anvar said:
I was told deadlifting with a trap bar turns it from a hip dominate move into a quad dominate move...

Yeah it does, i imagine because you can start with your knees bent as much as you want and drive with your legs right from the beginning of the motion, something you cant do with a barbell

I googled trap bar images and the picture closely matches what NYB has to offer, only the handles stick up, so you would have to maybe do your deadlifts on a platform?

Shrug Bar

$99 for a standard...

It depens on your objective. Deadlifting with a trap bar is good if you want to teach someone to use their legs more in the deadlift. it is inferior in building raw strength, size and power to a conventional and sumo deadlift tho.

Urban said:
trap bar is ok for improvising farmers walk, and for shrugs, but deadlifting with them is inferior to a regular barbell.

Urban said:

Right, but who has access to a trap bar and not some good old fashioned dumbells? My gym keeps the trap bar over by the full set of kettlebells - good tools, but probably not the first thing a person buys.

Back