Trap Bar DL Vs Conventional DL

gazhatton

White Belt
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone smarter than me can tell me the pros and cons for using a trap bar over a conventional olympic bar on deadlifts?

Got one in my gym and ive used it quite a lot, i seem to be able to lift more (around 30kg on average) with it. Its a big one that weighs 38kgs and is easier to load/unload weights onto as it flips onto a built in stand.

Was wondering if there was any reasons not to use it over an oly bar or maybe just alternate using the 2!

Trab bar deadlifts put more focus on the quads, regular deadlifts put more on the posterior chain. If you're squatting and trap bar deadlifting but not regular deadlifting, you might be missing out.

Don't the handles of a trap bar sit higher than a regular bar, thus a shorter range of motion? I would think that would help explain why you are able to do more weight.

Oblivian: Yes the handles are higher and limits the ROM. You can flip it over, so the handles aren't as high, though.

I used it while I was working out some flexibility issues that limited my ability to DL with correct form. As others said, don't just drop DLs entirely in favor of TB deads.

Trap bar is easier it seems. I feel that the placement of the handle on the side instead of gripping a bar in front of you is a little easier on the back and puts more emphasis on the quads and hips. Just my observation

Trab bar deadlifts put more focus on the quads, regular deadlifts put more on the posterior chain. If you're squatting and trap bar deadlifting but not regular deadlifting, you might be missing out.

i always wondered what the practical use of that bar was. i only used it a couple of times because the straight bar was being used.

i think ill include it every other deadlift day. appreciate the info.

The trap bar is more of a supplement/accessory for the squat than the DL

The biomechanics of a trap bar DL more closely resemble a squat than a conventional deadlift, except with a more limited range of motion. You can extend the ROM be flipping the trap bar over and/or standing on mats/plates...in which case the exercise is similar to a squat with the weight held in the hands, and done from a dead stop.

Extended use of trap bar deads as a primary lift will result in the growth of a vagina.

Thanks for the info (especially the revelation that I could be sprouting a mangina!) There are 2 handle heights on it one is at a level with the weights and one is about 8 inches higher up limiting ROM. I use the lower handles but I defo agree that it uses your quads more. I think i'll use it as more of an addition than the norm.

The biomechanics of a trap bar DL more closely resemble a squat than a conventional deadlift, except with a more limited range of motion. You can extend the ROM be flipping the trap bar over and/or standing on mats/plates...in which case the exercise is similar to a squat with the weight held in the hands, and done from a dead stop.
This.
Extended use of trap bar deads as a primary lift will result in the growth of a vagina.

And this.

This.

And this.

This.

And this.
And this.

This.

And this.

This.

And this.
And this.

I felt that it was a significant contribution to the thread :D
Fixed

This.

And this.

This.

And this.
And this.

Fixed

What was that? I'm sorry I couldn't hear you well, my connection was breaking up.

This.

And this.

This.

And this.
And this.

Fixed

What was that? I'm sorry I couldn't hear you well, my connection was breaking up.

Never mind, it wasn't important.

This.

And this.

This.

And this.
And this.

Fixed

Never mind, it wasn't important.

Ok then. Later broski!

I've been doin tb deads for a couple of months now. There is def more quad activation. That bein said, I feel the same amount of soreness(maybe even slightly more) in my traps and rhomboids from tb deads vs oly. It is a more biomechanically correct lift that effectively builds whole-body strength. No reason to give up olys though;maybe work a progression. The extra quad activation nowhere near compares to the squat. I would never sub these for squats(except maybe standing on a box goin down past parelell similar to a dumbell squat).

Back