Transitioning from power cleans/power snatches to the full Oly version

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by flak, Jul 26, 2010.

1. flak

flak Guest

I did some power snatches the other day and enjoyed it. I didn't drop down very far in the catch.

It got me thinking about the idea of trying to gradually drop down lower and lower in my stance in successive workouts, until I reached some approximation of a full snatch. I would use light weight for all these workouts, something I can do for 3-5 reps per set. After I felt like my form was decent I would gradually increase the weight.

For those of ya'll with serious Oly lifting experience -- is that a good or bad idea? Should I look at the power snatch and Oly snatch as two different lifts?

And if anybody has time, same question re: transitioning from power cleans to full squat cleans.

Thanks.

Also --

2. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

When learning the full versions, don't think about the power versions. If necessary, break down the lifts into components, and drill the components. For example, clean pulls, and squat cleans off stands.

3. Perfect Moo

Perfect Moo Blue Belt

Do an overhead squat every time you powersnatch.

Warm up with drop snatches.

Sometimes I just take an empty bar and sit in the bottom of an overhead squat to work on balance and comfort there.