1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Transitioning from gi to no gi

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Red Harvest, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Orange Belt

Hello all. I will give you guys a little background on myself to start. I started wrestling when I was 6 and BJJ when I was 16. I'm 29 now. I had never, until recently, had to apply my BJJ training without a gi. It's just not something I thought about and thankfully never had to use. I began training again after a 2 year lapse due to health problems and my wife having our daughter. I have been training without a gi now for a month and having a bit more trouble transitioning from gi to no gi than I would have thought. I'm sure the two year training absence isn't helping matters either. Without a gi, I seem to go straight back to my wrestling. I'm sure others have encountered this. I just wanted to hear others' take on the subject.

2. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

I dunno, I wrestled before bjj, and had no trouble with the transition. It's all in your head, the techniques are the same.

Also, damn you've really been training that long and have never done no gi? Even with a 2-year break that's 11 years!

3. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Orange Belt

Never once even thought about it, dude. I was so focused on progressing in the gi game. My biggest issues are with getting a sub other than a choke. I can move to where I need to be for a joint submission but for some reason can't finish. I end up losing my grips.

I don't know. Maybe it's just rust and lack of training.

4. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

I don't think it is rust. It will just take a bit of time.

In a way, I feel that NOGI is way more technical on the submissions offense department.

I use more wrist control for grip instead of the GI and it puts uke on the defense all the times.

5. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Speaking as a gi BJJ guy who never did any kind of wrestling beforehand, no-gi is most definitely different. I'm having a bit of trouble getting used to it. There's a lot of technique in the no-gi grips that you don't learn in gi BJJ.

6. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Orange Belt

Yeah it's strange when all I remember is having a handful of gi at all times and then having nothing but 2 handfuls of sweat. LOL

7. supersuk

supersuk White Belt

Theres nothing wrong with wrestling, you're fighting for a dominant position (like taking the guy's back) like in wrestling.

Just make sure you're not ignoring opportunities or put yourself into vulnerable positions that aren't vulnerable in wrestling.

8. Gerbiljiujitsu

Gerbiljiujitsu Purple Belt

it took me about 7 months of doing strictly no gi to catch my game up. I'm not sure how the wrestling will help you out because I never wrestled but I would imagine it would help.

I was a purple belt in the gi and had been training for 4.5 years before I started doing no gi.

9. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Orange Belt

Train, train, train. I gotcha. Thanks guys.

10. spaceman82

spaceman82 Yellow Belt

i made a similar transition fairly recently and, like you, had a difficult time because of the grips and not being able to hold onto my opponent in the way that i had before. you can just train and get used to everything eventually, but even though this might seem obvious, i think i adapted more quickly than i otherwise would have by really paying attention to my grips while rolling and consulting instructional literature and videos about grip techniques. might be helpful for you as well.

11. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Orange Belt

I was actually reading up on different grips just last night. I'm going to focus strictly on that for the next few months. Or atleast until my muscle memory kicks in.