trainning partner problems

308rob

White Belt
Reaction score
yo just thought id get people with experience to give some opinions on some probs iv been getting while training.

First off i do combat submission wrestling or CSW. The erik paulson thing, its similar thing to BJJ with basic moves theres just a few differant ways things are done.

I started around 9 months ago so very much still struggling getting the concept of ground fighting, but im slowly getting better at certain things and getting fitter.

The problem is theres two guys in the class the best guys in the class infact, bother very good and every one looks up to them, including me. however in the 9 moths iv been there iv rolled with them once or twice or drilled with them once or twice, i dont wana sound like a pussy but they fully disrespect me and just go on to the next guy when ever its my turn to go with them, it cant be anything to do with my skill level coz he they train with my friend who started later than me. The odd occassion they do get with me there constantly can openning my guard to those who dunno its were you jam your elbow in the legs to break guard. Its also very painful and something i dont do to training partners as i see it as bad move and also i dont wana jam my elbow in my buddies when were training. i have to say its putting me off doing some thing i love i cant say anything because id sound like a *** lol.

Has any one when they first started encounted this two guys you wana be friendly with and wana train with that just dont give you time of day and disrespect you infront of every one.

Could be anything bro, maybe you just rubbed them the wrong way once, maybe they don';t think yhou train hard enough, or you're late to class, or you use too much strength, or you dont try hard enough, could be anything! Maybe try and ask them to roll with you more then, ask them more questions, be more engaging.

And re what you said about guard breaking, maybe they do that because you let them - you feel it's disrespectful as it's so basic but if it works then why would they not do it - I don't know anything about CSW, but if someone sits back (postures up) in my closed guard and digs their elbows in, I use my legs and a grip on the head or other arm and pull them back in. Or follow them as they sit up and try a hip bump sweep, which if fails you can go straight to a guillotine (easier to lock up if their hands are inside trying to elbow your thighs), or even just wrap them up and fall back down to the mat, eg breakin their posture down and taking them with you. Or, use a two on one grip on the arm and pull your legs up you'll dislodge the arm from the thigh pressure position and can carry on working.

na man you have no idea id get laughed out the class. and to that about being late and not training hard enough i put 200% in every lesson i wouldnt turn up and waste peoples time otherwise.

Then get better. If people much better than you keep doing something, it's cos you're open to it and aren't successful in stopping it. You might need to ask them the best way to combat whatever technique they're using, but the elbows to guard thing is pretty basic dude.

Then get better. If people much better than you keep doing something, it's cos you're open to it and aren't successful in stopping it. You might need to ask them the best way to combat whatever technique they're using, but the elbows to guard thing is pretty basic dude.

Agreed. Plus, the elbow in the thigh guard break is not a can opener.

Agreed with the above posters.

Other things to think about:
Do you have good hygiene? Cleans clothes, showered, teeth brushed, non-funky feet?

Do they ever skip any other partners during drill?

Do you spaz out when you roll?

It's almost certainly nothing personal and if it is... wel f&*k 'em. Work your ass off until
you can smash them.... in a non-spazzy way.

Maybe they're just arseholes. Every club has one or two. Don't bother with them at all, IMO train harder, get better and get even!

I thought this guy who I trained Judo with was awesome when I first started, he was a brown belt. He nearly broke my arm when I'd been training for 6 months and was to be honest a bully.

Fast forward 5 years, saw him again at a different club and beat him via 4 submissions.

Like I say every club has one or two.

It's basically a beginner technique (from what I've heard/seen/been told I'm not dissing anyone with that comment, there are blues I nkow that like to use it) that you can move away from quite quickly when you learn guard passes. (either standing guard break, or knee in butt to combat base, whatever, both don't require elbow pressure, or a tiny amount at best.)

Just going to add it can be nice when people do that, because if you can break their posture down while they're attempting it you're in a prime position to throw your leg over and triangle, or at least get the setup started.

Last edited:
If they're being assholes, just skip them dude.... So what they're the 2 best guys. If you never rubbed them the wrong way and they disrespect you, f*ck them. With guys like that, you're never gonna learn anything... Roll with guys that you can practice and drill with... And when you ever do get a chance to roll with them, put them in a triangle by surprise and then they'll respect you....

only a problem if they are the only other two guys in your class

since they arent, go train with others.

you may be so fixated on wanting to roll with those two that other people who want to roll with YOU might be thinking u are disrespecting them and passing them up for the goldenboys in the class

Not to be a jerk, but who cares? If they are "disrespecting" you then find other people to train with.

That's not a can opener. A can opener is compressing the head towards the chest by using a clinch when in someone's closed guard to get them to open their legs.

Maybe they just don't like you. Oh well. As far as them "can opening your guard", that's not what a "can opener" is, and putting an elbow in the inside of your leg while opening your hips to break your guard isn't disrepectful or cheap, it works. If you whine in prastice like you are whining here that someone doesn't like you, well.... that may be the reason these guys really don't like you very much. Respect is earned in most places, everyone doesn't have to be all sunshines and rainbows with you for you to get good training.

I say screw them. Like everyone has said, some guys just think they're the shizznit. Nothing is better than smashing someone who gave you the cold shoulder when you first started training. I've done it to a couple guys and one guy even stopped coming to the gym after myself and a couple other guys kicked his butt. He said it was because his knee hurt but well know the real reason, lol..

Learn better social skills? Man up, if it's bothering you, talk to them.

Chances are, the best guys aren't the best guys. Get your work in and smash them when you get the chance. Stop complaining and worrrrkkkkk.

Back