training your hands to be stronger for punching?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by flikerstance, Aug 30, 2019.

1. flikerstance

flikerstance floridaman Double Yellow Card

is it practical like the shins are?

lots of guys break their hands in fights tbh i never wear hand wraps and i dont like my bag gloves to have a bunch of padding as i wana feel my hands hitting the bag to get them use to feeling the impact but not to the point it hurts them.

i feel if you are a fighter your hands at least for how i fight is my mos valuable weapon as i prefer to box and wrestle so need my grips and power to hurt my opponent and mma with the smaller gloves its much easier to hurt your hands vs boxing

so im curious if scientifically you ca do this and isnt some bro science

Ultra O’Dia likes this.
  2. pecho26

pecho26 Purple Belt

IMO no,because knuckles are not shins.

Knuckle is a joint,and if you would "condition" them as they do shin which is just bone,you would damage the joint pretty bad in the long run. (osteoarthritis comes to mind first)

Grip strength,forearms strength and good technique as i see it.

j123 and dannysmith like this.
  3. dannysmith

dannysmith Blue Belt

Without doing permanent damage that you'd surely regret later in life, youre best off strengthening the muscles and connective tissue in your hands.

4. corpse

corpse Bannned

karate guys are big into hardening the hands via makiwara training and other things:

5. TheeFaulted

TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

Has this guy ever posted a non-insane thread in here?

j-boxing and wufabufa like this.
  6. tekkenfan

tekkenfan Yellow Card Yellow Card

of course he has. do explain how it is insane to ask about is it dangerous or impractical to work on making hands stronger. lay off the roids

7. Pinyin

Pinyin Green Belt

In Vee Arnis we used hit/slap the backs of our hands on bricks and or cinder blocks that had the surface taped over with duct tape or packing tape.

You start off soft and gradually and over time slap harder. This would harden the skin and build up the joints and bone density. The Dog Brothers used to do this on a larger scale and they would actually harden their entire bodies, enabling them to literally smash through walls.

8. SandisLL

SandisLL Blue Belt

Bone density I think is related to hormonal and biochemistry processes far more than some targets beating. Some 50 years old alcoholics have better bone density than some 35 years old offce white collar workers.

Conditioning tasks primarly are done with joints, tendons and muscle stregth, static and grip strength development.
    This is in serious grappling programmes too, especially if wirsts locks allowed etc. stuff.

Knuckles conditioning alone doesn't help anything because forearm is complicated structure and knuckles isn't only elements of foreaerm/ arm.
    Regards to technique applications : Goju is effective and it isn't less worth than wrestling or boxe.

Difference between old TMA and modern sport, I think, without damage to your Health might be evaluated if you close your fist with wrappings on 1000 cycles and feel, smell feeling and then do 1000 " the same " cycles with bare hand.
    Then again do with wrappings on and think again.
    World is different, yes? Till end of life, just try taste and evaluate for yourself… empty space.

9. TheeFaulted

TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

Your hands are a collection of small joints, ligaments and tendons. Sure one CAN make their hands harder. Of course it will occur at the expense of normal human dexterity and lifelong crippling arthritis, but hey you got to feel tough while destroying that which separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom.

10. tekkenfan

tekkenfan Yellow Card Yellow Card

well thats why the question was asked

11. SandisLL

SandisLL Blue Belt

Yes and that's the reason why wrestlers, judokas, jujustsu guys, gymnasts etc uses exercises to increase ligaments, tendons and muscle strength....
    Because this helps reduce joints, tendons etc damage from hard work load etc.
    Wrestlers, boxers etc uses specal fitness programmes not only to be stronger, but also as tool to reduce injuries in training, competitions.

-
    I don't think that hard items beating increases punch power:) because then all top athletes started to beat stones etc instead of heawy bagwork with wrappings and gloves on etc.

However if one has weak forearms, he definitely might heavily suffer from hard bagwork with wrappings and proper gloves too.;)
    Common example is forearm's joint dislocation, injured tendons, broken small bones in forearm etc.

12. Sano

Sano Red Belt

None of the things you mentioned are common injuries in boxers. Hand and wrist injuries are much more prevelant. Now those things are obviously connected, but It's as much a matter of hitting at the right angles as it is tissue strength.

Btw, hand strength correlates with punching power in most studies. Doesnt mean that the causality is so, and we know that power is generated from the ground up, but It's definitely interesting.

Additional hand, grip, wrist and forearm strengthening is always a good idea if you are not getting enough stimuli from whatever else you are doing. In MMA or grappling even more so.

Last thing, bone density does have an hormonal aspect (you're probably thinking about the loss of bone mass density (BMD) after menopause in women), but impact and heavy load training can improve BMD, as well as diet and other genetic factors. Not to mention that increasing tissue strength improves joint sturdiness and stability.

RabbitPunch36 likes this.
  13. SandisLL

SandisLL Blue Belt

This matters, what we mean by words "hand strength" : forearm conditioned in TMA style? If yes, then for what exactly TMA?
    Japanesse Jujutsu also is TMA, but they don't do Okinawian type stuff, more close to modern judokas etc for fitness programmes.
    All arms joints, tendons and muscles etc?
    Of course they do fitness programmes, I alredy wrote about it, included also grapplers etc.:)
    If we mean knuckles, I didn't find that Iron Mike, Nigel Benn, Rocky Marciano, Foreman, Fraser, Ali, etc etc had some oldschool Okinawian type conditioning.
    This is reason, why for example young wrestlers and judokas training in 5 - 6 - 10 years of age primarly is focused on fitness, flexibility etc.
    Before they start more focus on grappling with more intensitve rolls.

14. Sano

Sano Red Belt

I honestly have a hard time following what youre saying. The hand strength is usually measured by a hand dynamometer.

15. SandisLL

SandisLL Blue Belt

This yes, too.
    In what matter?
    Yes, with what force you are able to press dynamometer is applied force.

I assume with hand strength multiple parameters.
    For grappling elements they are 1. Dynamic strenght ( lets compare running 30 - 50 meters fe )
    2. Static strength ( assume comparision sprint with 10000 meters running for example ).
    3. Ability to bear load without damage.

When you apply the grip, there's more dynamic strength and speed is important.
    When you hold resisting opponent, there more static strength is important.
    Also for resistance against manipulations with your hand, leg.

They have specific exercises for dynamic and static strength development.
    Okey, one parameter you measure with dynamometer.
    Other might be evaluated if for example you ask training partner to move your hand, but you resist passively and see what it is.
    With fingers is more funny.

16. Mr Mojo Lane

Mr Mojo Lane Brown Belt

I have small hands and average forearms. I've never hurt my hands in boxing or mma. I punch well above my weight also. Honestly, I think injury is more of a risk w/ small hands than anything.

My wrists are way bigger than when I was a teenager. When doing the middle finger and thumb grabbing the opposite arm wrist, my middle finger used to overlap may thumb. Now, there is more than a 1/2 inch gap between my thumb and middle finger

17. 4daLuLZ

4daLuLZ Purple Belt

[​IMG]

j123, Sano and corpse like this.
  18. pokerandbeer

pokerandbeer Green Belt

in TKD they made do thousands of knuckle pushups believing it made the knuckles tougher

I personally dont think it did much of anything

I have small hands and wrists....I punch really hard to

19. Kravjutsu

Kravjutsu Yellow Belt

Kung Fu bags.
    Wooden dummy
    Rice buckets
    Striking hard surfaces.
    Old school training

Mine are like being hit with rocks. It works

Believe me

20. Pinyin