Training with more advanced guys?

You should always try to roll as much as you can with the best person in the room and then ask them what you did right/wrong. Never roll with a white or blue belt when you can roll with a brown or black.

Variety is critical, like everyone has said.

But my favorite rolls are against guys who are one or two levels above me in terms of ability, so they usually beat me but I can put up a fight. Those are the rolls that really push me to improve. They teach you that, if you stay mentally strong, you can close the gap and start catching better guys more and more often.

Wow, thanks for all the input!

Well, the reason I'm asking is because the school I'm going to now has a beginner and advanced class, when before all levels were taught together. The beginner classes are labeled "fundamental" classes and thus focus on fundamentals. Btw, it isn't a pure BJJ school it's a CSW (submission wrestling) school, if that matters. Anyway, the beginner classes I would say are basically all white belt level guys who have been there like less than a year. And the advanced classes is everyone above that. I myself only have 3 months of prior grappling experience, however I am really athletic and really strong (I was a 2 way varsity football starter and all league and I have a 1400 lb powerlifting total), and I also took a semester of wrestling in college at a great wrestling school. I find that in the beginner classes, even though I do not know many techniques or submissions, that I don't get tapped and can gain better positions than the other guys, even the guys bigger than me (though most are smaller). So I supposed I could stay in those classes and work my offense and learn more techniques and submissions, however I don't feel as if I'm forced to work hard and I thought I could possibly do the advanced classes and be forced to learn.

Sorry if that makes no sense and I sound like an arrogant idiot. It's just really what I'm thinking. I know that strength, speed, size, etc aren't as valuable as technique but I just got the thought in my head.

Thanks guys.

Back