Training with a stress fracture

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Gfreak, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Gfreak

Gfreak Purple Belt

After talking to some friends and doing a bit of research, I believe I have a stress fracture in my upper shin. (yes I know, I"m not asking for diagnosis so this isn't a "forbidden topic" asfaik. And yes, I will go to a doctor soon).

But anyways. Yesterday, I did my squats (after not lifting for 2 weeks, vacation/christmas and all). My shin felt a little sore at first, but as the weight got heavier it started hurting more. It felt almost like shin-splints but just in a specific location.

I didn't think too much of it, but as the day went on it got worse. Now if I put any press up on my toes (think sprinters starting stance on the back foot). It feels like a knife is stabbing me lol. Now, I know squatting is out of the picture, and possibly deadlifting (I'll have to check tomorrow and see how much/if at all that bothers my shin.

So I'm definately going to be focusing on upper body for a while it looks like. But what excercises would y'all recommend for making sure my lower body doesn't "disintegrate". In the mean time, from what i've looked up so far it seems like the average lay-off for something like that is anywhere from 2 to 5 months. Y'all got any recommendations?

And i was finally making good progress on my squat too...:(

2. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Leg extensions and leg curls. Back extensions, bent leg back extensions, and heavy ab work. Only what you can do pain free.

3. Gfreak

Gfreak Purple Belt

I also forgot to mention that really all I have access to, is a barbell + weights, squat stands (can be used for bench and stuff). And some KB's/ DB's

I don't go to a commercial gym anymore lol.

I think I'll be able to do some KB swings or Good mornings (will check) pain free. But for My quads I'm not really sure.

And thanks for the suggestions tosa, I believe I can rig something up for back extensions. And can obviously do the ab work.