Training with a fresh tattoo...

possenti

I knew all the rules-but the rules did not know me
@Black
Reaction score
I'm going to get another tattoo this fall on my left upper arm, and I'm wondering if it would be safe to train in BJJ while it's healing up. If you have tattoos, I'm sure you're familiar with the scabbing over and itching while it's healing. If one of the scabs gets rubbed off while grappling, would it damage the tattoo in any way? I usually get small bruises in that area from training, and that tells me that a scabbed area would surely rub off.

I got one when I used to train 7 years ago on my upper right arm. I took a week off just to be safe. Time to do a little name dropping...I went to class anyway to just watch, and I remember Rich Franklin jokingly giving me shit about it and he called me a wussy. Of course, I couldn't do much about it - he was a badass then, even before his MMA career started :D .

Anyone have any experience with this, or am I being a wuss?

as it heals you should be lightly washing it and using a&d ointment on it regularly to keep it moist. after a few days switch to a good lotion. don't let it scab up, that's bad for tattoo. as far as rolling it would be ok if you put something over it, but it wouldn't hurt to take a couple of days off.

You want your tat to lightly scab up and flake off. What you have to worry about is the infection, not the scabbing. Once the ink is in the skin it is not coming out. I have heard some people say that the ink will fade. Not true. What you have just done is poked thousands of little holes in your skin and they are as susceptible as any cuts. That is why you want to wash it and lightly rub an ointment on it. I always take about 10 days off and plan my tats around a vacation or days away from work, gym, etc. Think about how much bacteria is on the mats and in a gym. Is it really worth it to cover it up with a bandage and risk having the bandage come off? If it gets infected it can booger up your skin and tattoo and make it look fucked up. A week is nothing when thinking about long term grappling. But your skin is.

Rich Franklin called you a wussy? You should have sneak attacked him!
jus playin

Put on a rash guard under your kinono. and don'y train for a week at least after your tatt is done. My arms are covered in tatts. Don't remove the scabs by yourself.

Back