Training while injured?

sfortune85

White Belt
Reaction score
How do you guys alter your training while sidelined with a particular injury? Currently I have a healing knee. No tears, but injured it back in Jan during BJJ and neglected it. Stuck to Muay Thai since because I'll brilliant like that thought kicking things wouldn't affect it as much. Finally taking a month off from training (my physical therapist made me) and I'm just wondering, what the hell can I do with myself (from a strength and conditioning perspective) w/o placing too much strain on my knees so I'm not a complete blob when I get back to training.

Im always injured but never with something serious. When i pull a muscle a lot of the time i just workout through it and let it heal on my off days. If theres something serious that would get aggravated from certain exercises just avoid those and do as much as you can. Use it as an excuse to work on your upper body and use an exercise bike or some other form of low impact cardio.

Put a lot of weight on your bench, get stronger in pullups, and do a lot of grip work. Thats what I did when I raped my knee a few months ago.

Nobody can really tell you since we don't know what's wrong with you. Do what doesn't hurt.

If you're not squatting or deadlifting you should do extra for core work. Stuff like back extensions, reverse hypers and glute ham raises (if they don't bother your knee). Also, when you're done taking time off from lower body stuff, you might want to consider including dragging a sled or pushing the prowler (if you have or can get access to either) since both are easier on the knees (I.e. you might be able to go heavy on sled drags while you still have to take it easy with squats).

Simply: do other exercises that not involves use of injured area. In your case: bench press, seated press, incline bench press, lateral fly, reverse fly, pullups, chinups, pulldowns, pullovers, biceps/triceps isolation work, grip strength, neck strength, reverse hypers, abs various ways, stretching. Not sure for seated calf raises.

Back