Training When You're Sick

farmboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok, last night I was up most of the night throwing up and with diarrhea. This morning I've got a headache and am just plain physiacally exhausted. My question is, how long should I wait before I go ahead and start my weight training? Should I do it if I feel better this afternoon or should I just wait to see how I feel tomorrow?

farmboy said:
Ok, last night I was up most of the night throwing up and with diarrhea. This morning I've got a headache and am just plain physiacally exhausted. My question is, how long should I wait before I go ahead and start my weight training? Should I do it if I feel better this afternoon or should I just wait to see how I feel tomorrow?

Whats the problem to wait a day or two until you feel 100%? You are probably also dehydrated.

Agreed.

Take a day (or a couple days) off until you feel well rested. When your body's that sick, you're not doing yourself any favors by punishing it in the gym. Your workout will be more beneficial if you rest up until you can blow through it rather than limping in there and suffering through it right now.

Thanks, guys. I guess my worry was that it's so hard for me to make any gains thatI'm afraid of losing what little I have. Add to that the fact that any time I eat it wants to come back up, and it makes for a long (feeling), frustrating day!

We all get sick sometimes. Think of it as an opportunity to relax and take some days off training.

Head Cold= Go train you pussy
Flu like symptoms = stay home, and uninjured to lift another day

If you train too early it'll set you back usually. For example, I was sick last MOnday, but by Wednesday I felt pretty good, just a little stuffy, so with some cough drops and a caffeine pill I went ahead and pulled (got a PR too). That Friday I was too sick to bench.

Oh hell, what am I saying, I'd do that over again. I got a PR. The point is, don't train if you're vomitting, or if you're experiencing a lot of achiness/malaise.

You def. want to stay home and relax when feeling sick to your stomach. That is your bodies way of saying that it's time for a rest. Don't worry about losing yoru gains, you will regain them very quickly. Good Luck and Hope you feel better!

Dont work out until your back to 100%. You will hurt yourself more than help if you work out.

Agree w/ Carnal. Training when I have a cold is the norm. Just make sure to spray and towel all your bars/benches/etc. when you get done using them or else I'm gonna call you out.

If you're throwing up, etc., you're probably too weak to make it worthwhile, anyhow, so take the day off. You'll feel like shit and it will take a toll on you mentally, as well, having just gone through a workout that was, for all intents and purposes, worthless.

You know when you shouldn't be working out. If you're unsure or have to ask, get in there and hit it hard, even if it's for an abbreviated period. Don't just go through the motions to pretend you got your session in. You're better off getting 20 minutes of intense work than you are loafing through an hour's worth.

You should wait untill you feel totally up for it, but the act of working out releases endorphines which might actually make you feel better if kept at a moderate level.

the rule is: if you can go into work, you can go to the gym.

Urban said:
the rule is: if you can go into work, you can go to the gym.
I suppose technically you CAN but I know to many idiots who I wish would stay home instead of getting everyone else sick. Plus, when they come into work, alot of them are looking for some hero status, even though their production drops to nil. Urban I've got to disagree with you on this one bro, even if you can drag your ass into work, if your feeling that horrible, just take the day off and relax/recover. Just my opinion.

I've never really thought of having a cold as being all that sick. I wouldn't even have considered taking time off for that. But, this is different. It's the vomiting and diarrhea that got to me. Today is the second day I stayed home from work. It's the type of sick where you get dizzy and nauseous.

I've just been trying to drink losts of fluids, because I feel dehydrated, and trying to keep some food down. This sucks!

Thanks for the info and well-wishes. You guys are the best.

What I've always been told and gone by is this:

If your symptoms are above the neck, (i.e. runny nose, sneezing, basic "head cold") go train. If you have a fever, are vomitting, or have anything that severely impedes your breathing (bronchial infection, swollen glands, etc) stay at home."

I find that working out and sweating can sometimes help my body get over a cold faster, but for anything more serious, training just makes it worse.

If you workout hard while being sick your body is spending energy and time trying to rebuild the muscles your tore down.. Instead of working with your immune system to fuck up what ever it is that is making you sick.

Thats why doctors tell you to drink plenty of fluids and get plenty of rest.

Working out will exhuast more fluids from your body as well as the complete opposite of getting rest. So if you want to stay sicker longer.. go work out.
You want to get better and get back to training.. take some days off. Stay hyrdrated and lots of sleep.

If anything go for a brisk walk and move those arms.. Get fresh blood to all your body parts. Could help with the healing process.

Could I wear a headband, and some of those gelatin filled wrist weights while I took a walk?

CarnalSalvation said:
Could I wear a headband, and some of those gelatin filled wrist weights while I took a walk?
I don't know about that. YOu should RELAX if you were sick. Picture yourself being half way around your block with a wet doodle knocking at the door. Huh, see, now you would wish you were home relaxing until you were better instead of in your neighbors bushes being a leaky swamp ass. It' s your call bro. Atleast you would have your head band, you know, to "clean up" with.

Back