Training vacation destinations

LilFinger

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I recently got back from training muay thai in Thailand for a month, which was fun. Now I'm looking for the next place.

Was thinking of boxing in Cuba or wrestling in Mongolia. Do you guys have any experiences going to these places? Or any suggestions of camps in other countries that accept foreigners.

Maybe Judo at the Kodokan in Japan, kickboxing in Holland or BJJ in Brazil.

I've never heard of people traveling to cuba for boxing, since America is already really strong in this sport. Same with Mongolia, so if you ever go to these places please do a writeup!

I've never heard of people traveling to cuba for boxing, since America is already really strong in this sport. Same with Mongolia, so if you ever go to these places please do a writeup!

Yeah I agree, we probably got the best wrestlers, and boxers! So, if leaving the country do judo, bjj, or kickboxing!

Cuba has had the best amateur boxing in the world. The reason you don't see any Cuban professional world boxing champions is because it's a communist country and they aren't allowed to turn pro, though some defect.

Ever hear of Yoriorkis Gamboa, Kid Gavilan, Joel Casamayor, Angel Espinosa,...

The US has won 48 Olympic gold medals with a population of 400,000,000 while Cuba has won 32 gold medals with a population of less than 12,000,000. That means that Cuba has won 66% of the USA total with a population that is less that 3% of the US.

They dominate the world juniors and seniors, Pan-Americans and the Olympics. If Cuba wasn't a communist country, every second professional weight division would have a Cuban as the champ.

The Cuban's box like the Canadians play hockey.

Cuba has had the best amateur boxing in the world. The reason you don't see any Cuban professional world boxing champions is because it's a communist country and they aren't allowed to turn pro, though some defect.

The US has won 48 Olympic gold medals with a population of 400,000,000 while Cuba has won 32 gold medals with a population of less than 12,000,000. That means that Cuba has won 66% of the USA total with a population that is less that 3% of the US.

They dominate the world juniors and seniors, Pan-Americans and the Olympics. If Cuba wasn't a communist country, every second professional weight division would have a Cuban as the champ.

Why don't they move to florida turn pro and make a shit load of money then?

Also, your numbers are pointless, in the us boxing isn't as popular as say all the sports we have, Cuba has what baseball?

There have been several that have recently done that recently, most notably Guillermo Rigondeaux, Yuriorkis Gamboa, and Odlanier Solis. The Cuban's definitely have some of the best amateur boxers out there.

Heres the first part of a video series on kids amateur boxing in Cuba, you can find the rest on youtube also

Last edited:
The amateurs are paid by the government in communist countries thats why they always have good athletes.......

This might be obvious, but going to Rio would not only be an amazing vacation, but you would also get to train in some BJJ

Brazil - BJJ
Holland - Kickboxing/Muay Thai
Russia - Sambo
China - Sanda
Greece - Pancrase
France - Savate
Japan - Judo, Karate
South Korea - Tae Kwon Do

Each part of the world has something different and new for you to learn :icon_chee

After some research I think Cuba is the place to go to. Because I could not find anything about wrestling in Mongolia. While going to Holland or Japan would probably be cool, I think the more exotic destinations which are less developed are far more interesting to go to. Also means living and training will be cheaper!

The gym to go to in Cuba is apparently Rafael Trejo. It seems like they accept foreigners but nowhere on the web can I find telephone numbers or email to contact them. Although did find this article about an English guy who went there to train:

Trail Of The Unexpected: Boxing in Cuba - Activity Holidays, Activity & Adventure - The Independent

There is also some travel agent who has package trips to Cuba for boxing training, but it seems a bit unadventurous to go there with the help of a guide.

I don't know why you assume I'm from the US. And I agree the US has some fantastic places to go to such as Freddie Roaches gym or Gleesons in New York.

I don't know. Why don't you phone up their repressive, communist government and ask them why more of their world champion amateur boxers do not defect to the United States of America to turn pro and leave their families behind to deal with the consequences?

Beats me dude. I'm stumped.:icon_conf

For me, personally, I'd love to train Muay Thai in Thailand and BJJ in Brazil.

With $3000, you can live like a king in Thailand and still get full training.

Read "A Fighter's Heart" by Sam Sheridan. He travels around while training in a variety of styles.

Top Team in Brazil, Team Militech in Iowa, boxing in I think Oakland with Andre Ward, and the Fairtex gym in Thailand.

Pretty much any episode of Fight Quest looks like a fun trip to me...

China - Kung Fu (Wushu/Sanda)
Philippines - Kali
Japan - Kyokushin
Mexico - Boxing
Indonesia - Pencak Silat
France - Savate
South Korea - Hapkido
Brazil - Jiu Jitsu
Israel - Krav Maga
USA - Kajukenbo
Thailand - Muay Thai
India - Kalarippayattu (?)
Hong Kong - Wing Chun

It was a joke dumb ass, I'm not Cuban, I don't know how that shit whole of a country works.

Woah, hostility.

April 29, 2010
COUNTRY DESCRIPTION: Cuba is a totalitarian police state which relies on repressive methods to maintain control. These methods include intense physical and electronic surveillance of both Cuban citizens and foreign visitors. Americans visiting Cuba should be aware that any on-island activities could be subject to surveillance, and their contacts with Cuban citizens monitored closely. The United States does not have full diplomatic relations with Cuba, but Cuba welcomes American travelers and Americans are generally well received.

The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.

The licenses are fairly strict, but you may be able to attain one under an "Other" clause:

Amateur or semi-professional athletes or teams traveling to participate in Cuba in an athletic competition held under the auspices of the relevant international sports federation. The athletes must have been selected for the competition by the relevant U.S. sports federation, and the competition must be one that is open for attendance, and in relevant situations participation, by the Cuban people.

That's only if you're competing. Best bet is for free-lance journalism in Cuba forthe investigation of Cuban boxing athletes.

Cuba

Back