Training twice a day High intensity too much?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by MMouse, Jul 10, 2010.

1. MMouse

MMouse Now you enter...the shredder Banned

For example:

training HICT before lunch and then training numerous bag and pad work in the afternoon

2. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

Yes, why do you feel the need to do that?

EDIT Are you planning on doing this every day?

3. MMouse

No not every day.

Hard to spread everything throughout the week especially with work.

My plan was to improve on muscular endurance/alactic work and maintain aerobic ofcourse.

M- HICT before lunch....Alactic power heavy bag, pad work

T- LSD (nice and easy shadow boxing and bag work, - working on technique, weakness, just maintaining HR 120-150). At night attend class boxing or MT

W - Alactic power (weights)

T- LSD in the morning, Alactic power at night working heavy bag.

F- HICT

S- Class about 3 and half hours long

But yea, i guess it does look too much, maybe i should just cut back on HICT. I mean afterall both HICT and doing weights (following guidelines of muscular endurance) work the same thing

4. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

If you`ve read EZA`s book he suggests 3 general conditioning sessions a week. There`s really no need to do more provided you train mma too.

EDIT Also, you`d only train for 1-2 goals at once. Doing one type of training in the morning, one in the evening and a different one the day after is not going to be really productive.

In general my opinion is you need to relax a bit. Stop worrying so much about everything. Start from training the basics - I repeat, the BASCS - and add one thing at a time and see if it works. LyleMcD has a nice rule he came up with: try something for 4 wees and if it doesn`t produce an results within that time just discard it.

Now, there`s no need to start a thread everytime a new idea pops into your mind. You should follow a training program for at least those 4 weeks before you can have any reasonable doubt. So, have you done that?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  5. MMouse

Thanks paolo.

I'll admit, I've annoyed the hell out of everyone with me starting new questions, but I just wanted to make sure so that I know what I'm doing.

If you don't mind, how would you structure my routine? I'm just looking for something to help out w/ my muscular endurance. Should I just add 1x HICT and 1x weights to my training?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  6. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

You could do HICT twice a week and weights once for a while and work on endurance and then do the opposite for a while and work on strenght. And by a while I mean 4-8weeks. That`s provided you train your kickboxing regularly.

7. MMouse

Awh thanks.

Classes are most of the time anaerobic, odd time just a lesson and not even break a sweat, so wouldn't it be counterproductive if I did one of the methods the same day as classes which would turn out to be HICT morning, Anaerobic (class) at night?

Or is it advisible to do these conditioning methods on non-class days

8. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

How are classes anaerobic? How long do they last? Sure there may be moments where you go above anaerobic threshold but that won`t be the WHOLE time? Have you done a class wearing a HR monitor?

9. MMouse

Class is about 1.5 hours to 2.5 long. First 30 mins most of the time is conditioning and cardio can be either circuits, 2.5-4k run, combination of calestenics and shadow boxing which can be randomly heavy or light (that depends on what the trainer says), after that is 30 minutes of having to do pad work and switch between partners after 30 minutes (which again depends on what the trainer says that can be heavy or light). After that you have the option to do 1 hour of sparring session.

Or there could be those odd days were it is just all instructional and just very light and technical, no bag or pad work what so ever. But I wouldn't know since the trainer doesn't tell any of us ahead of time. We just come in and do what he says.

And since class gets reptitive with the techniques that I've gone over, I thought I could spend some time training on my own, and at the same time while working on technique, I can incoporate some conditioning methods on areas I lack on such as alactic power/capacity bag work which won't take as long but can get the job done.

If there's anything else you'd like to know by all means let me know paolo, I would like to recieve as much help as I can

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  10. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

^^^That doesn`t sound overly anaerobic. As I said, try doing that wearing a HR monitor, my guess is you won`t spend that much time above anaerobic threshold.