Training Supplements?

CapnTango58

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering if someone could advise me in what I should be taking for training.

Right now I'm 5'11" and 205 lbs. I'm not exactly sure of my body fat I'd have to say that it is at the lower end of average. I have been weight training for a while now and not taking any sort of supplements.

What I want to know is what should I be taking to gain strength and muscle. What I've thought would work is the following:

- Protein (Soy or Whey?)
- Nitric Oxide
- Amino Acids

Are there any particular ones I should check out? Or anything else that you would recommend for supplementation?

What does your current workout look like? Sherdog does have a supplement forum.

Barut said:
What does your current workout look like? Sherdog does have a supplement forum.

Currently this is what I do:

Monday: Chest
Tuesday: Back
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Shoulders
Friday: Arms

In three week cycles I do super sets on Chest and Shoulders one week, the next super sets on Back and Arms and the next I take off from super sets and just lift regular. I do abs every other day or so and Cardio often between Judo, MMA training, hockey, racquetball, and all sorts of other sports.

You get better answers to your questions in the supplement forum. You might also want to submit your full routine for review here in the S&P forum. The feedback will feel like someone's ripping you a new one with a red hot ball of razorblades, judging from your "split," but you'll probably have a more effective athletic routine to show for it.

Read the stickies, too.

If your goals are really strength and muscle in that order, then you might be better served with a new routine. Would you be willing to change your current routine?

Personally, I think it's more important to get your routine and diet in order before fucking around with supplements.

Use whey protein as a food supplement. It'll help you get calories you need when you're on the go or when you're too lazy to prepare a meal.

Forget the other supplements for now.

http://www.allthewhey.com/

chia said:
Use whey protein as a food supplement. It'll help you get calories you need when you're on the go or when you're too lazy to prepare a meal.

Forget the other supplements for now.

http://www.allthewhey.com/

+1 for alltheywhey. Product and service are both terrific.

HULKAMANIA said:
You get better answers to your questions in the supplement forum. You might also want to submit your full routine for review here in the S&P forum. The feedback will feel like someone's ripping you a new one with a red hot ball of razorblades, judging from your "split," but you'll probably have a more effective athletic routine to show for it.

Read the stickies, too.

Actually, my entire routine is rather large and complicated, it's not like I just go in and bench on monday and then leave. Everybody has their best routine suggestions. Mine was designed by a very credible source to say the least. I'm not going to change my routine because I feel it is the best for me and has shown the best results out of all of the various routines I've tried over the years thus far.

As for posting in the wrong sub-forum my bad on that I didn't read through all of the sub-forums, just put it in this one. I didn't think it would be that critical.

You may have had a credible source design your routine, but what was it designed to do?

CapnTango58 said:
Actually, my entire routine is rather large and complicated, it's not like I just go in and bench on monday and then leave. Everybody has their best routine suggestions. Mine was designed by a very credible source to say the least. I'm not going to change my routine because I feel it is the best for me and has shown the best results out of all of the various routines I've tried over the years thus far.

As for posting in the wrong sub-forum my bad on that I didn't read through all of the sub-forums, just put it in this one. I didn't think it would be that critical.

Unless your credible source knows more than Dave Tate, Louie Simmons, and Ed Coan, you still might want to consider changing your workout to something more geared toward developing strength. If you're shooting for the Lee Hotti look then you're on the right path. Use whey protein. I prefer allthewhey. You'll probably buy whatever your friend suggests from GNC though...

Simple, it was designed to build muscle.

Haha, Barut, you're stepping all over my diplomatic approach.

Barut said:
If your goals are really strength and muscle in that order, then you might be better served with a new routine. Would you be willing to change your current routine?

Personally, I think it's more important to get your routine and diet in order before fucking around with supplements.

I'm not gonna change my current routine. Like I said before it's long and complicated. It entails a lot of core exercises but on the specific days I do a lot of focus exercises on the particular muscles. I've been doing that routine lately and have had the best gains in strength and muscle so far.

The problem that I've had with working the groups specifically more than once a week but for in shorter duration was that I wouldn't get as good of a workout in and would tire more easily. By taking a week off after a massive chest workout and hitting it a little bit the rest of the week I'm able to better recover and get more out of my workouts.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Barut said:
Unless your credible source knows more than Dave Tate, Louie Simmons, and Ed Coan, you still might want to consider changing your workout to something more geared toward developing strength. If you're shooting for the Lee Hotti look then you're on the right path. Use whey protein. I prefer allthewhey. You'll probably buy whatever your friend suggests from GNC though...

Actually he suggested whey protein and amino acids. But thanks for smart ass remarks though. I'm sure those are the only guys in the world who lift and they know everything don't they?

As for being Lee Hotti I'm not shooting for either goal in particular. I do want more strength however, who wouldn't mind looking better at the same time?

CapnTango58 said:
As for being Lee Hotti I'm not shooting for either goal in particular. I do want more strength however, who wouldn't mind looking better at the same time?

If you want strength you need to train for strength. Your current split kinda sucks for strenght training. I know its hard to change but when you do you will regret not having switched to a strength based program sooner once your numbers start climbing. And you will still gain size as long as you eat more. Its the "muscle speparation" and "cross striations" that we can live without.

I feel like a moron. Here I was thinking that chia was coming in on the side of CapnTango58, possibly even the guy who made his routine. I seem to have completely misjudged the situation. Ignore my previous post, chia. I just found out we're on the same side.

Sorry. :redface:

Sarcoplasmic, isolation, sheer mass.

Take some m-test, it gives you 10lbs in two weeks, and you get stronger too.

Back