Training submissons

the_Dark Knight

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do you guys ever spend time just training 1 paticular attack? And if so, about how long do you spend on it..meaning do you train that one tech for a mth, 2 mths? do you put other attacks on the back burner? I really would like to become better at the omoplata, and really learn how to work that attack from different positions and finish it.

Also, are there attack you tend to avoid all together? For example, I'm horrible at the triangle. Since I have short stocky legs its really quite hard for me to finish. Not that I avoid it, but if i manage to get it, i really use it as a a bait for something else (omoplata, or armlock). So with that, i avoid really training it. Are there any attacks you stay away from?

I will sometimes go through phases where I see a new sub I like, and will work on it as much as I can.
And there are some basic bread and butter subs that I always drill, and probably always will, such as the cross collar choke, armbar from guard, triangles, etc. I feel that the basic subs are always good to try to master, and the key to mastering anything is repetition.

Sure, I'll focus heavily on a particular sub for a few weeks or months, then do something else and eventually cycle back to each sub that I'm working on. Drilling, troubleshooting, sparring with and trying to figure the ins and outs of a technique is a great way to make those subs higher level than they were before.

i always have a particular attack or sweep that i'm working on for each position. i usually rotate every month unless i feel the need to dwell more. for example, i'm currently working on the gi brabo from guard and 1/2 guard, cross collar from the mount and a loop variant from the back, etc. slightly different stuff in no gi.

i don't entirely ignore every other opportunity, but i try to figure out ways to use the other things to set up or transition to my flavor of the month.

Back