Training problems

0121mma

What do people think of training pure mma at one gym, as compared to training pure BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai etc, seperately.
We have MMA classes which cover all areas but it is just MMA, class by class what we do changes, There is a Gracie Barra nearby and several quality amatur boxing gyms in the area.

(not sure which forum to post this in)

I think it's a great idea and the future of the sport. I think training individual areas of the game is also important, but the game as a whole must be considered when practicing those individual things. Every sports practices usually have drills designed for specific situations.

I think it's important when training stand-up for MMA to be weary of not only all 8 points your opponent has to strike you with, but also of clinches and takedowns. You won't be getting prepared for this when training pure boxing or kickboxing.
The same goes for grappling and BJJ. When training grappling on the ground you have to be weary of giving up positions and submissions, but you also have to weary of strikes and your opponent standing up. You won't get this preparation training pure BJJ.

I think in 10 years or so, you'll see almost 100% of the top guys in MMA training only pure MMA, and rarely ever guys who train each aspect at separate schools.

At my school we have classes specificly for muay thai and bjj. Then there is a class for mma. The mma class goes over how to mix your standup and ground game to work for you.

I think it's a great idea and the future of the sport. I think training individual areas of the game is also important, but the game as a whole must be considered when practicing those individual things. Every sports practices usually have drills designed for specific situations.

I think it's important when training stand-up for MMA to be weary of not only all 8 points your opponent has to strike you with, but also of clinches and takedowns. You won't be getting prepared for this when training pure boxing or kickboxing.
The same goes for grappling and BJJ. When training grappling on the ground you have to be weary of giving up positions and submissions, but you also have to weary of strikes and your opponent standing up. You won't get this preparation training pure BJJ.

I think in 10 years or so, you'll see almost 100% of the top guys in MMA training only pure MMA, and rarely ever guys who train each aspect at separate schools.

Yeah i see what your saying, my only theory was that if you can stand up with pure boxers and grapple with pure BJJ guys you would be elite. But its putting it all togther.

braulio estima gives classes in birm, you'll get top notch bjj :)

braulio estima gives classes in birm, you'll get top notch bjj :)

Yeah ive been there top class, just trrying to work out wherther to go there as well as mma. Maybe little extra cash but well worth it. Just a matter of translating it into mma with strikes.

I train individually, there is a huge difference between the people that take MMA classes and the people who take TIME and put effort into the individual areas.

Back