Training over 10 times per week

i train 6-8 times a week and don't feel like that is excessive at all... if i did not have a wife, full time job + other hobbies & a social life i would train more :icon_chee

That's exactly how I feel. It is more of the family thing, plus since my gym isn't actually a dedicated BJJ gym that volume of class isn't offered. I do everything offered though and the social life part I could probably work around as well.

Man I can understand someone posting and saying "thats too much for me," but to post and actually feel that you are qualified to tell someone else training twice a day is too much? Seriously, where do you get the nerve? Newsflash: Some of us are in shape and working towards a goal, and therefore put ourselves in positions to accomplish them. We have no complaints and are not burnt out or hurt or whatever else you think the consequence of taking something seriously will be. But I guess that is what separates the future champions from the hobbyists.

"Get your priorities straight." Really? Straight up, fuck you.

Thats alot more than I can train. Five a week is my max pretty much. I usually work about 55-60 hours a week and commuting time is a bitch too. When I go back to 40 hours, and our dojo starts doing daytime classes I will try to make more. I feel like going from two times a week to 4-5 times has gotten me so much better so fast, cant imagine 10-12 times a week. Anyone who can balance training that much with the rest of their life is a beast imo.

Man I can understand someone posting and saying "thats too much for me," but to post and actually feel that you are qualified to tell someone else training twice a day is too much? Seriously, where do you get the nerve? Newsflash: Some of us are in shape and working towards a goal, and therefore put ourselves in positions to accomplish them. We have no complaints and are not burnt out or hurt or whatever else you think the consequence of taking something seriously will be. But I guess that is what separates the future champions from the hobbyists.

"Get your priorities straight." Really? Straight up, fuck you.

Keepin it real

depends on your sleep and diet, tbh

However re: training 3 times a day all year in brazil...aren't steroids pretty common down there? I've heard that a few times...no first hand knowlege though.

Anyway, overtraining is the number one cause of injury. (#2 is trying "something I learned off submissions 101")

however, try it. see if it works for you

myself personally, I don't sleep anywhere near enough for that.

I can't offer sound advice but I don't do it and wouldn't recommend it unless you're thinking about going pro. Your muscles need recovery time and the extreme fatigue might contribute to a greater risk of injuries.

Recovery time and extreme fatigue? Not even close to being at my limit.

I'm 34 and while I am relatively "in shape," I can get even in better shape. 10x a week really is not near extreme fatigue for most people that are in shape IMO.

I lift weights to supplement my training also.

It's not an issue of fatigue, it is an issue of time/time management. Luckily my gym offers tons of classes which helps in this aspect.

I do it at times. Usually it's in spurts several times 2-4x a year peaking for competition. To avoid injuries I take a bunch of supplements and make sure I get good warm ups in general. If something feels tight or wrong I warm it up extra, if I am caught I don't hesitate to tap. There is a big difference between guys who train
2x week or less and guys who train more. In general I train 4-6x week outside of work. I work 12x a month and we also train/drill at work. So extra reps there.

Personalized coaching with a good understanding of teaching, psychology and physiology would probably be much more benefical with less time invested, but who has such a coach analyzing each move you make and customizing things specifically for you? few.

The amount of training and quality of training you do is a reflection upon your commitment to get better.

People aren't world champions cause they trained 2-3x a week. They're world champions and succesful cause they commited to do what it takes to get there. Whether that is frequency, diet, conditioning, psyhcology, etc. They go the extra mile and then more.
Go to McDonalds. Look at 99% of the people in there. Who the hell in there do you want to look like?
If you want what other people don't have then you must do what other people will not do.

It is fine to be a recreational player and train for fitness and fun. That is a small piece of my goals. Taking my game to the next level and proving it in competition is what drives some.

I've never trained bjj 10x a week, however, during my university days we had morning and evening practice for the Judo team during the week. It was murder at first, couldn't stay awake in my classes and was always fatigued. After about a month I settled in and it was fine. Now I was a student who didn't hold a job and didn't study much either and very little to no social life during the week, so take it for what it's worth. (I didn't end up with a very good gpa though :( )

My brother does at least 10 sessions a week during wrestling session between folkstyle, judo and bjj. He's unusually intelligent though and never studies yet maintains a 4.0. With that said his life is training, eating, showering, sleeping and school.

Hillary has a blog about her training at alliance 3x a day. Sounds like it took a real toll on her body. I think that was just for a week or so, and didn't sound sustainable for the long term. I could be wrong though.

I would rather use a couple of those days to crosstrain or something fun like swim.

depends on your sleep and diet, tbh

However re: training 3 times a day all year in brazil...aren't steroids pretty common down there? I've heard that a few times...no first hand knowlege though.

Anyway, overtraining is the number one cause of injury. (#2 is trying "something I learned off submissions 101")

however, try it. see if it works for you

myself personally, I don't sleep anywhere near enough for that.

I personally have only heard about taking steroids. I haven't heard anyone admitting it, although some people in my gym talk in a very veiled way about taking the "porcarias" and having to stay without drinking and having to eat clean for a month to "prepare the liver"... hmm. I never took the BOMBA, though. Sometimes I really think I should.

I've had the opportunity to train from 8 to 10 times a week, this week I have already trained 8 times, and that's probably going to be it thanks to the guy who wanted to become Paul Harris on my injured foot. It's good because I feel like I waste less energy, also because I gotta watch what I eat better. I don't think we train at a crazy pace in my gym, though. What sucks is that I feel I'm not well equiped enough for that. I gotta buy a speedo and maybe one of those fancy rashguards, but I can't find them anywhere for cheap. Training with a moist gi isn't nice either...

you guys who are training this much and are not aspiring mma/bjj champions are hardcore. i do 3-4 1.5 hour sessions each week and it's tough as it is, trying to fit in life, work, etc.

Back