Training over 10 times per week

Started to feel like a chore/job.

Shit was getting insane. My life was:

Wake up, Shower Eat, School, BJJ, shower, Eat, Nap, BJJ/Wrestling, Shower.

Repeat next day.

Love/hate.

Love getting to work on things again and again. Hated the feeling of neglecting other important areas of my life.

Loved the boost in learning. Hated that my body never felt repaired and refreshed.

And this was not even 10 times a week. It was 6 classes over 5 days.

Depends...do you work?
Do you go to school?
If yes to either, I wouldn't recommend that much training.

I would only train 10x a week if I were an ammy/professional fighter.
Unless you want to go pro, I wouldn't train that often.
You're very likely to get injured due to muscle fatigue.

How the hell can you train 10 times a week? Unless you're a professional grappler/fighter, you can't possibly work nor really study if your in school o college. BJJ isn't going to put food on your table unless you are unbelievably good. You should get your priorities straight. Plus lets not mention overtraining :rolleyes:

I did 10 / week for two years. You see good improvement compared to the people who started at the same time as you because you are training much more than they are.

Fun for a while but does eventually feel a bit like a job. You go if you are tired, injured, etc just to keep up the schedule and not miss a class. It isn't necessairly a bad thing, just changes it from a escape / hobby to something you feel obligated to do.

I would recommend trying it if you have the opportunity, most people cant afford to put that kind of time into bjj. You will see massive gains in your skills simply because of the amount of mat time. If you start to feel burnt out, take a week off then go back to a less frequent schedule.

Dubanka

Lol, it is possible to train before work in the morning if you can find someone will to work with you. You can also train at night after work right? So if you do this monday through Friday that's ten times per week. Add in one training on Saturday and Sunday, that's 12 times a week. I don't have a family by the way. I think it all depends on you.

Lol, it is possible to train before work in the morning if you can find someone will to work with you. You can also train at night after work right? So if you do this monday through Friday that's ten times per week. Add in one training on Saturday and Sunday, that's 12 times a week. I don't have a family by the way. I think it all depends on you.

I don't reccomend training 365 days a year.

lol, why not?

You need rest days to let your body recuperate. Also, most of us will have trouble keeping the food intake high enough to maintain weight and muscle mass. That's why a lot of athletes around here mention "splurge days" when they get to rest and eat whatever they like.

You need rest days to let your body recuperate. Also, most of us will have trouble keeping the food intake high enough to maintain weight and muscle mass. That's why a lot of athletes around here mention "splurge days" when they get to rest and eat whatever they like.

Around where? I've never heard of "splurge days." In Brazil they training two or three times a day, 365 days a year.

This may be a surprise to you, but there is much more to life than BJJ. Even if you have that kind of time, I don't recommend that much time devoted to BJJ.

1. You will overtrain
Your body will become tired and not have enough time and energy to repair itself. Eventually you will get injured, and the layoff will hurt more than if you had just been going half as much (5x/week)

2. You will burnout
What you love will become a chore, and you will hate going. Most likely you will burn completely out and again have a big layoff.

3. You need to focus on other aspects of your life.
Like a Mixed Martial Artist needs to be well rounded, so should be your desire as a person. That much time spent on BJJ, means you aren't spending time on other aspects of your life. Even if you don't have a family, you should have other interests and relationships outside BJJ. Read, educate yourself, take music lessons, join a club, enjoy an outdoor activity, spend time with friends and family outside the dojo.

Frodo used to train upwards of 15x a week in his early days. It is definitely possible.

I think that kind of training is just too much. I used to make him just watch classes when he'd come in after having already trained two previous times that day.

it no longer becomes fun, i train because i enjoy it, not to make a job out of it

Train before work?

Are we talking 1 hour of training per session here or something? 'Cause then 10x isn't very impressive at all.

for the last month i've been training 12+ times a week ive been loving it but yes your very prone to burnout,small injuries start to creep in etc, just listen to your body and skip sessions as you need to.

Never to that extent, and never solely in BJJ, but between semesters, I spent 5 weeks training 6 days a week. Mondays and Wednesdays I trained BJJ for 2 hours, Tuesdays and Thursdays was TKD for 2 hours, Fridays was an hour of TKD followed by an hour of BJJ, and Saturday was a 3 hour MMA training. I was working full-time as well. 13 hours a week seemed like the perfect amount of training, I progressed a lot, but never got burned out. I thought about adding some running or lifting to the routine, but that probably would have ruined it for me.

I go to one of the most time intensive colleges in the US, and between teaching, learning, and rolling I do BJJ/Wrestling anywhere between 7 and 12 hours a week. It takes me about an hour and a half both ways to get to BJJ during the week. Then again, I'm 21 and I've been grappling basically my whole life, so although I get sore I never really feel "broken down" as some of the older guys on here do. Sore sure, but not excessively. Shouldercharge has the right attitude. As soon as the pan ams are over I'm going to start re-incorporating gi, judo and striking which I haven't been doing for the last month and a half.

Its not all that hard to do if you really try to find the time, and I've seen immense increases in my skill level. Granted I'm relatively new to submission grappling, so naturally I would see more gains relative to people who have more experience, but I'm progressing much faster than other guys who started around the same time as me, and I would definitely attribute it to training so much.

Frodo used to train upwards of 15x a week in his early days. It is definitely possible.

I think that kind of training is just too much. I used to make him just watch classes when he'd come in after having already trained two previous times that day.

Jimmy is a beast!

if you dont have work, school, girlfriend, it (training 10+ times per week) is paradise. If you have any or all of these things, it can be tough. And no one trains 365 days per year.

Back