Training on a heavy bag, any advice?

STRYDG

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Looking to do some more cardio work but most things are boring and its hard to be motivated to continue doing them so considering heavy bag work.

I've got wraps and gloves, did muay thai for a year but this was probably 5 years ago so my questions are...

Is it a good idea concerning technique? As its hard to break bad habits and can anyone recommend certain channels/sites? Happy to start with complete basics in boxing/kickboxing and probably better to go that way. Any other info most welcome and thank you in advance!

Punch with your arms, kick with legs and block with ya face, it's pretty straight forward really.
And if the bag starts taking it to you, maybe consider cutting a weight class and fighting a smaller bag.

Use realistic combinations, use headmovement and work footwork on the bag. Don't go all out like a dumbass (unless you want to get stronger punches and kicks, by going all out on the heavybag in the last 30 secs).

Try to brush up on shit by using youtube, and than as you keep doing it, start hitting the heavy bag HARD.

If you are talking about cardio kickboxing/boxing just for fun. I would say work on volume and set a round timer to help keep yourself pushing the limit.
There are of course things like the Bas Tutten cds etc.. none of these will make up for actual time in a gym with a coach. That being said if this is just for fun and some exercise and you have the equipment, why not?

Work combos always finish with the jab so if you throw a 1-2-3 finish with a jab after the hook.
Burn outs at the end of rounds final 30 seconds. So just high volume non stop straights if you can’t continue switch to hooks etc..

It is really easy to develop bad habits on the heavy bag. You are always on the right end of an arse-whipping. Make sure you stay on top of your technique.

@eternaldarkness - I fear its worse, the bag sexually assaulted me. What do I do?

@zapataxiv - it is just for fun/cardio currently but if I get back to an actual striking gym dont want to have bad habits or be a spaz.

Make sure you supplement with shadowboxing. In a fight it's very different to hitting a bag because so much of the time you'll be hitting air. And keep your hands up always, it's easy to drop them while hitting the bag. Also hit the bag with intensity, it can great for conditioning if used properly it's like sprinting for the upper body

heavy bag has many purposes just depends what you want to achieve for cardio reasons just push yourself if your wanting t work technique then work your technique again its a broad area

Punch with your arms, kick with legs and block with ya face, it's pretty straight forward really.
And if the bag starts taking it to you, maybe consider cutting a weight class and fighting a smaller bag.

This is terrible advice!!! It's obvious he's gasing and the bag is taunting him, he needs to fight at his natural weight, so the bags are slower....

@eternaldarkness - I fear its worse, the bag sexually assaulted me. What do I do?

@zapataxiv - it is just for fun/cardio currently but if I get back to an actual striking gym dont want to have bad habits or be a spaz.
One step at a time.
Not being in the gym and not being around a knowledgeable coach or teammates will lead to bad habits, stagnation, or regression. Especially with only a year of striking training you most likely don’t have any idea about what drills and exercises to do to even grow or maintain on your own.

It’s not all doom and gloom though. Like you said you are doing this for fun and fitness which you can do. When you find your way back to a gym just put your ego too the side and follow what they teach you and that will make up for the lack of gym time.

Back