Training MMA...Good exercises to do on days off when your sore?

Murlik

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Pretty much like the title states. Good workouts to help me on the off days. Any ideas?

Do you mean for active recovery?

I like to jog a bit on an elliptical. Basically any light cardio is going to circulate blood through your muscles faster and get rid of the soreness. Plus the elliptical isn't hard on your joints.

Pretty much like the title states. Good workouts to help me on the off days. Any ideas?

The same thing you were doing on the mma training days. Why do you need days off? Just work through the soreness...you can train 6 days a week doing 2 a days and do a full rest on sundays. I guess it depends on why you are training and what you are doing though.

EAT! You'll train your ass off and have the energy to do it. And if you train hard enough you will not blow up, and gain abunch of weight. And SLEEP! Your body loves it when you fall into those deep sleeps and can repair itself. But eating is the most important, because without it there is nothing for your body to use to repair itself.

And with this advice I train 6 days a week, and most of the time the 7th day I do light sparring, or help other people train. I have experience soreness, but nothing that kept me from training.

I get deep tissue massages. They help remove the lactic acid. Also the hot tub or a sauna can help get some of the soreness to go away. Working out when you are already sore is a good way to overtrain. If you are not mentally strong enough the overtraining will cause you to not give full effort on the days you do train.

those gay ellipticals that have the arm movement involved. they are gay, but they do loosen you up pretty good. I like to start at no incline go all the way up and all the way down over 10 minutes. just to loosen up my whole back. works pretty well.

yoga, also gay, also loosens you up Do I feel retarded doing it? yup, do I care more about final goals than feeling retarded, absolutely.

swimming loosens you up. only kind of gay. I suggest freestyle, backstroke and breastroke in alternation... fly won't help you feel better.

Something I've foudn to be motivating, go play some team sport with people in not as good as shape as you (assuming your in really good shape) keeps you moving and feeling good loosens you up, soccer, basketball, ultimate frisbee. but if your really sore, and playing against people faster thann you...... it turns into another training day. which won't help you any. (Like when I play with 5 members of the University of Michigan team.... its my sprint day)

Last edited:
I get deep tissue massages. They help remove the lactic acid. Also the hot tub or a sauna can help get some of the soreness to go away. Working out when you are already sore is a good way to overtrain. If you are not mentally strong enough the overtraining will cause you to not give full effort on the days you do train.

Deep tissue massages are great but it has nothing to do with removing lactic acid from your muscles. Lactic acid is gone from the muscle within an hour from exercise.

Working out when you are already sore is a good way to overtrain. If you are not mentally strong enough the overtraining will cause you to not give full effort on the days you do train.

GTFO stop being a pussy and train threw the DOMS you wont be overtraining.

Thanks for the input guys, I guess what I'm looking for is strength and conditioning work I can do that isnt going to leave me to sore to go back to training the next day.

All good suggestions so far, thanks guys,

The same thing you were doing on the mma training days. Why do you need days off? Just work through the soreness...you can train 6 days a week doing 2 a days and do a full rest on sundays. I guess it depends on why you are training and what you are doing though.

I need days off cause my getting to my gym entails leaving work early and taking a hour and 15 minute drive down a mountainous highway. 2 and a half hours of commute through windy mountain roads makes it unrealistic for me in my current situation to train everyday.

That being the case when Im not improving my skills I would like to be improving my S&C without killing myself for the next day of training.

Some good advice in this thread, some bad.

Massage is good. If you aren't familiar with foam rolling, become familiar with it.

YouTube - Cressey Performance Foam Roller Series

T NATION | Feel Better for 10 Bucks

That covers pretty much all you need to know about foam rolling.

Contrast showers are super useful.

TonyGentilcore.com What You SHOULD Do On Your “Off Day”

That link is regarding what you could be doing on, "rest," days.

Your goal on rest days should be: to move around a lot, but not with a great amount of load or stress. This means no sprinting, no squatting four hundred pounds. But, still be active! Also, sleep good and eat good.

:-].

I need days off cause my getting to my gym entails leaving work early and taking a hour and 15 minute drive down a mountainous highway. 2 and a half hours of commute through windy mountain roads makes it unrealistic for me in my current situation to train everyday.

That being the case when Im not improving my skills I would like to be improving my S&C without killing myself for the next day of training.

Well that's reasonable. You can always do a little shadowboxing, body weight squats, burpees, pushups, scissors, jump rope, etc. at home. Come up with maybe a 30 min routine involving shit like that. Other than that eat and sleep.

Back