Training Methods of the Old-time Boxers

YukisHeart

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Dempsey.Jack.Back2.jpg

Jack Dempsey

It has often struck me how different the old boxing legends look from the modern greats - at least from the perspective of near-total ignorance which I enjoy. (I am open to being told I've got it completely wrong.)

Fighters like Jack Dempsey, Gene Tunney and Rocky Marciano often lacked the puffed up pecs, shredded stomachs and bulging biceps sported by a lot of big boxers today. Some people have told me that this is because they just took things less seriously back then, but I'm not sure I believe that. Although it was not always immediately obvious, old footage shows that their backs and shoulders in particular were built for real power.

The Boxing section on Sherdog has always seemed uncommonly knowledgeable to me (although I haven't contributed much to it since the glory days of Kid McCoy), so my question for you savants is how did these old-timers train? Were their methods significantly different from modern methods, and do you think they did anything particularly well? Is it true, as I've heard some old salts suggest, that contemporary fighters only look more "buff" because the sorts of exercises they do focus less exclusively on functional strength than the ones the old-timers did? Or does this belong in the same category as the mythology surrounding kettlebells?

All answers gratefully received! (Well, all good answers.)

Last edited:
Better training methods overall, with better diet and better knowledge; thats why so many fighters can come in looking schredded.

i see few boxers with massive pecs. the only ones i can think of are journy men and roy jones when he went up to HW. most have a very lean look. despite what people insist on, pretty much all top boxers stregth train and most train with wieghts. they dont do 8 sets of chest like a meathead but beleive that they do practical compound exercises with dumbells.

old timers did do push ups and pull ups, work with medicine balls, chopping wood, throwing around bales of hay, ect. basically they did primitive versions of what boxers do today, for better or for worse

ive heard they did almost no pad work and almost all bag work, which is something i agree with. pad work seems to lessen what a fighter gets trained to throw into a punch because its so focused on fast precise combos that it gets too cute some times. bags encourage pounding on it with all your stregnth. if you dont beleive me, just last week before his fight with devon alexander, tim bradley was given a few pointers by tom hearns. you would think it would have just been a novelty, getting a 'boxing lesson' from a legend a few days before a fight, but bradley claims he actually learned something very valuble. hearns taught bradley to throw a right hand properly, putting into the whole body into the punch, rather than the pitter pat punches the mitts get a boxer in the habit of throwing

Tom Sayers was a bareknuckle boxer in the 1800s, who weighed about 150lb but had more power than a lot of heavyweights. People couldn't figure out how he hit that hard, so he was examined by physicians and they thought it must be because part of his job was throwing bricks over his left shoulder all day, which is an action similar to punching. There's an article about Sayers here: Forgotten Champions: Tom Sayers - The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board

Joe Choynski was about 170lb, but pretty much everyone who fought him is recorded as saying he was the hardest hitter they ever faced. People who fought Bob Fitzsimmons as well (including Jim Jeffries, Jim Corbett) said Choynski hit much harder. Choynski was a blacksmith and taffy puller. Fitzsimmons was also a blacksmith.

Jack "Chappie" Blackburn, a contemporary of Joe Gans, trained Joe Louis' jab or punches by having him catch flies. Joe Louis was known for having really short punches with knock out power. He sheared someone's teeth off at the gum shield, and a person watching said it was the sharpest punch he had ever seen. A friend of mine was an Olympic level swimmer, he was in the national team and trained for Athens although I don't think he competed, and I got him to explain to me how come Joe Louis had power at such short distance. My friend said most people only train strength to increase power rather than speed, and the reason Joe Louis could punch like that was because he could accelerate his punches very well. Because Joe Louis had long flexible muscles, the muscles would be contracting before he actually began to move his fist. So there's a yaw moment where tension is building, and then his fist moves forward with tremendous acceleration. It's sort of the opposite to the way a lot of wrestlers like Brock Lesnar punches, Lesnar wouldn't be able to contract his muscles that much.

I've heard that Archie Moore used to walk on his hands to develop his arms, but don't know if that is true. I do know that he used to train using a sledgehammer to develop power and he had Earnie Shavers do that, and also made Shavers cut down trees. Earnie Shavers also grew up cutting down a lot of trees and throwing bales of hay around.

I know that Jack Dempsey used to chew gum (resin from trees) to strengthen his jaw, wash his face with brine to toughen his skin, and beside that I don't know what he did. He was mostly homeless and used to travel around in his early years, he often fought hungry. In a biography he said that working the fields, just general manual labour, was the best asset for him because it strengthened his body.

There's an interview with Frank Mir here: Frank Mir - Frank Mir - Zimbio where some guy who knew Dempsey said he could do 30-40 pull ups. Also, I've heard that Rocky Marciano could do over 30 pull ups. But I imagine they developed that kind of lat strength through punching not by actually training by doing pull ups. It's in fashion now to do things like rope climbing or pull ups on gym rings, but unless you can casually do more than 30 those exercises put a lot of strain on the stabilising muscles for the scapula, which will stiffen and limit your ability to extend your arms rapidly or fluidly. Rocky Marciano apparently trained with a heavy bag 3X heavy as normal. Tyson also trained with a very heavy water-filled bag, and during his early years his trainers said he only did calisthenics like push ups didn't weight train. There's videos of Tyson doing squats and stuff recently on youtube though.

Last edited:
Rocky Marciano apparently trained with a heavy bag 3X heavy as normal. Tyson also trained with a very heavy water-filled bag, and during his early years his trainers said he only did calisthenics like push ups didn't weight train. There's videos of Tyson doing squats and stuff recently on youtube though.
Tyson's neck bridges look amazing. I also read about Marciano using a 300 lbs. punching bag to develop his power.

Ken Norton never did any weight training too, right?

I haven't looked into it specifically, but yeah I heard Ken Norton just did calisthenics. It was common in the 70s. After Ron Lyle got stabbed and was put in solitary confinement, to pass the time he started doing over 1000 push ups a day.

I'm not saying doing that kind of extreme high repetition is a good idea though, if only because it takes too much time. Herschel Walker still does over 1000 push ups a day, but has started to supplement that with hand stand pushups. If I could do that many, I would reduce the number and increase the intensity by doing hand stand or tiger bend pushups, or just certain kinds of military presses. Also, instead of doing 1000s of crunches you could probably greatly reduce the number by doing evil wheels, and even less by doing dragon flags.

There's a calisthenic routine supposedly done by Mike Tyson floating around the web, which claims he did well over 2000 push ups a day, and shrugs and dips, but this whole routine is bogus. The person who wrote it later admitted he made it up for laughs. He referenced an old article which didn't actually exist and he made up. Tyson did do 2500 sit ups a day though, with a 20lb weight: YouTube - Mike Tyson Broken Back Interview which is a strange thing to do.

Already some really interesting material so far; thanks guys.

A few people have mentioned the smaller size of old-time athletes. I suppose it's not really deniable, but a case could be made that the more famous champions of the era such as Dempsey and Marciano - cruiserweights by today's standards - were somewhat atypical. Dempsey's predecessors were much bigger men; Jeffries in particular stands out as looking most like a tyical modern heavyweight:

jeffries1900.jpg

Jim Jeffries

Someone posted a link to an article on this subject in S&C, and I thought it might contribute to the discussion here. Some pertinent points have been bolded by me:

The Mike Casey Archive | The Cyber Boxing Zone

They don’t make ‘em like that anymore. How many times have we heard that age-old adage? Every boxing son of every boxing father has probably heaved a heavy sigh whenever dear old dad has uttered the famous words.

Those fellas from days gone by had to fight a far greater number of battles, the old sages will tell you. They had to be tougher because the competition was so much greater and far more intense. They had to fight over longer distances with lighter gloves and often suffer terrible punishment. By God, laddie, they didn’t stop a fight if you got a nose bleed in those days!

Let us pause right there, which is about the point when I would start nodding off as a teenager when my own father went on a roll with one of his ‘glory days’ lectures. Can you spot any untruths in the words above? Any unreasonable exaggeration?

As I matured and took the trouble to delve into the training methods and boxing techniques of the old masters, so I realised that they did indeed represent a breed apart. They simply had to be in the peak of condition, it’s that simple. Half measures wouldn’t get the job done in the era of Jim Jeffries and Bob Fitzsimmons, any more than they would do in the times of Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano.

Throughout that long, golden age when boxing teemed with competition and the sounds of bags being punched echoed on every street in every major town, aspiring boxers needed to commit themselves to their discipline totally or be crushed in the stampede. There is nothing misty-eyed about this. It is a plain, cold truism, a law of much harder times. A boxer with a roll of suet hanging over his waistband would be quickly found out. A fighter taking a layoff would be quickly forgotten and kicked down the greasy pole by those looking to scramble ahead of him.

Just recently, my good pal and fellow historian, Mike Hunnicut, sent me a teasing little message. Said Mike: “The story goes, although I can’t confirm it, that Battling Nelson would shadow box for 40 rounds with a pair of 10lb dumbbells.”

Well, I’ve heard that story too and I can’t confirm it either. But I can believe it of Nelson. The Durable Dane was an astonishingly hard man, too much so for his own good. He and Ad Wolgast might have killed each other in their Homeric battle at Point Richmond, but for their incredible toughness and conditioning.

Accompanying this article on our Newswire is a famous picture of Jack Dempsey, where Manassa Jack is flexing his muscles and showing off his formidable back. And what a back! It resembles solid steel coated in bronze paint. Some while ago, on one of those zoo-like boxing forums that thankfully hover in a different galaxy from the CBZ, an excitable youngster stopped talking about Shannon Briggs for a few minutes and exclaimed to his pals: “Hey, have you seen that picture of Dempsey that’s just gone up? Unbelievable! Look at his muscle definition! I’ve never seen anything like that!”

Of course he hadn’t. Dempsey’s wonderful physique was hewn from hard times, hard old-fashioned training and Lord knows how many unofficial street brawls against toughs who would come to test his mettle. Why does that picture of Jack’s back continue to elicit gasps? Because it is wholly NATURAL. His muscles look as muscles should do, not like cartoon balloons. There is nothing overstuffed or bulked up about that great body. It is the body of a true athlete. Look at the muscles of many boxers and bodybuilders today and you feel that they would burst if you stuck a pin in them – as indeed they often do when the individual has been quaffing the wrong potions for too long.

DEMPSEY'S%20BACK%20jpeg.JPG

The Dempsey picture reminded me of some other great photographs I have in a real old gem of a book. In 1927, Ring editor Nat Fleischer published his ‘Training for Boxers’ manual and I am fortunate to own a 1960 edition, with a foreword by Jack Dempsey. The book is a priceless and educative trip back in time.

Writes Dempsey: “Conditioning is the most important factor in the life of a boxer. He may be as clever as Jim Corbett and Young Griffo rolled into one. He may be able to hit as hard as a Jeffries. But if he lacks conditioning, all these attributes mean very little. The first blows of the opposition will wear him down and his own first efforts will leave him puffing and panting.

“To attain condition the boxer must train. And here we come to a very important subject. There are all sorts of ways to train and attain condition. And too many of these ways are either absolutely wrong, or they are so old and antiquated as to become useless.”

Flicking through the pages of Fleischer’s terrific little manual, one striking impression is immediate. Everyone is out in the open air. Jack Johnson strengthens his shoulder by carrying a heavy log. Freddie Welsh chops wood. Battling Nelson, typically, clambers up a steep mountain and follows up with a spot of hurdling. Johnny Kilbane plays leapfrog in Central Park. Luis Angel Firpo ‘chins the bar’ whilst hanging from a tree. Dempsey swims in a lake, rows a boat, slugs baseballs and strengthens his arms and abdominal muscles by working a water pump. Abe Attell climbs a tree. Ad Wolgast lifts a heavy trunk to develop his shoulders, arms and thighs. Jim Jeffries strengthens his mighty body still further by wrestling.

Essential

Wrestling? Yes indeed. Here was a vital and essential component in the training manual of the great fighters of the past. Jeffries was a very able wrestler, as was Dempsey, who was greatly admired and respected by the great grapplers of his day. Historian Tracy Callis offers us some valuable opinions on this subject. Says Tracy: “Personally, I believe that whatever exercises one does is an aid to the physical well-being of the individual and improves the energy level. So I will not criticise techniques that are utilised to train boxers today.

“Instead I will only say that stronger attention needs to be given to a few areas that appear to be deemed less important today. A number of old approaches have been abandoned in favour of the more direct needs, and I speak primarily of wrestling. This process places stress on the muscles of the body in all the right places – arms, legs, shoulders, back and also requires the body to manoeuvre and stay balanced as it deals with opposition.

“A boxer wrestling is similar to a football player doing push-ups. Why does he do this when push-ups are not done during the game when it is played? This was done to build overall body strength, stamina, body control and balance as one manoeuvres. The various muscles learn to work together in an entirely different way from boxing techniques. They are engaged differently and learn to complement each other so as to maintain leverage and power, even when tired. This activity increases the internal body chemistry that enables prolonged performance. When this chemistry is not present, the stamina component is greatly reduced.

“All too often in today’s ring, heads collide and one man comes away with a gashed forehead and fights the swelling and blood the rest of the contest. Sometimes the injury is worse than a gash. On occasion, a nose is bashed or the gore is simply too great to allow the fight to continue. Fighters are taught to step into their punches, but not enough time and technique is spent on how to attack and at the same time avoid that clash of heads that might occur. This art was a primary task in the days of old. First things first. Attack, yes, but not recklessly – not at the expense of cracking a noggin and possibly losing the fight.

“To the Neanderthal, whose dome is made of iron, the head butt can be a winning technique. ‘Ring those chimes’ with that ‘bowling ball head’ and bring home the bacon. Many a talented fighter in the past used this weapon to his advantage. To watch out for, to avoid, to attack aggressively but not to the extent of getting beaned – was the method of the day. Today’s men would profit from more work in this area.

“Almost always, in a heavyweight fight today, at least one man’s belly hangs over his shorts. It sadly reminds one of the daily visitors to the local beer pub. What a soft spot for a heavy hitting body attack! Several rounds after the bout begins, these same fellows are panting, mouths open and gasping for breath. Not only are their fighting skills diminished at this point but they are victims for the taking – plodding around, likely flat-footed and barely mobile.

“To quote a famous football coach, ‘Poor conditioning makes cowards of us all’. It’s true to boxing too and this is a major reason for the lack of top quality heavyweights in today’s ring.”

Last edited:
Concluded:

Historian and film collector Mike Hunnicut has talked to many of boxing’s greatest legends. Over the years, Mike has had countless personal conversations with the likes of Ray Arcel, Teddy Hayes, Cus D’Amato and numerous others. Here is Mike’s take on how standards have slipped: “The main event fighters up to around 1960 tended to be in optimum condition due to the comparatively high rate of scheduled 10 to 20-rounds fights against other main event fighters, in addition to being conditioned by master trainers or excellent trainers at least. This made maximum condition possible.

“Say Ad Wolgast was training for a 45-rounds fight – and this would obviously depend on how long ago his previous fight was – he would do 10 miles on the road every day and maybe eight to ten rounds of sparring. The trainers in those days knew how to achieve the right balance and bring a fighter to his peak. Lots of sweating it out, a fast build-up, but also slackening the pace at the right times to ward off staleness. Then they would go for the peak, with nothing overlooked. If a boxer had a couple of fights three weeks apart – very common in days gone by – he would be in the gym in between and stay there all day, almost to bedtime.

“The old-time trainers knew all the psychological ploys too – no sex, ice packs to stop nocturnal emissions, no water on the day of the fight until the first round was over.”

Mike Hunnicut had some wonderful conversations with Ray Arcel on this subject, and here is some of what Ray told him: “Fighters for a long time spent a lot of time in the gym after their roadwork, at least until dinner time. In more recent years, there has been much less time and effort and preparation on a daily basis.

“You have to analyse and prepare a fighter physically and mentally for his opponents. True conditioning requires a fighter to always be busy, having fights all the time and having a trainer good enough to at least be attentive to him. There is no secret to hard work and plenty of it. You also need the best sparring partners and there are fewer of those around now.”

Teddy Hayes, who did such a sterling job with Dempsey and a host of other outstanding fighters, was also glad to give Mike Hunnicut his views: “Conditioning obviously depended on when the fight was and for how long. For a 10-rounder every three weeks, 10 miles of roadwork a day is enough – five miles out and five miles in. Sparring would be eight to ten rounds, with half-minute rests. There were so many exercises to do, I can’t name them all. Some form of manual labour was used, such as chopping wood or hitting weighted bats against tyres, things of that nature.

“You always wanted to bring the fighter to a peak by fight day. If 10 rounds of sparring isn’t enough, we add more. If it’s too much, we drop back and then re-condition the fighter. For the day of the fight, no water is to be drunk for motivation and even greater energy.”

Summing up his own views on the subject, Mike Hunnicut says: “The serious pros of past eras – Ray Arcel’s era for example – would have plenty of fights and plenty of preparation. They would find out about the fighters they were going to face across the country by phoning around. It wasn’t hard to do, because there were so many people in the business they could contact.”

As Mike points out, there was every incentive to reach the top and enjoy the perks that came with hard-earned success. “Champions, top contenders and sparring partners had the best of it, because their status gave them access to the outdoor training camps, where everything was at their disposal. They had hills in which to run, trees to chop and the best sparring partners geared to the style of their opponents. In the gyms only, you had all the rowing machines, lead-weighted bats against tyres, etc.

“You see, the pros of that era worked hard, but they did so wisely. The top trainers knew when to tell their charges to cool it and take the foot off the pedal – and when to up the pace again. There was plenty of work on the most important exercise boxing has ever devised – the heavy bag.

“I have tried to sum up here the most important workouts and exercises that a boxer can do. And the boxers of old did them. It’s a unique game. You need muscle and strength, but the right kind of muscle and strength. Stay away from weights. I hear all this stuff about weight training and it’s a waste of time and energy. Weight training has produced how many great fighters? Maybe a couple.”

Mental Strength

Times change, for better or worse, and of course we should not forget that progress in society has re-shaped the fight game like everything else. Fewer people in the stable nations of the world are starving hungry. Illnesses that once killed people can now be offset with the jab of a doctor’s needle. The standard of living, in general, has vastly improved.

As a somewhat perverse consequence, we have all become a little softer in mind and body. Gone is the ‘get over it’ attitude of yore when a cloud appears on the horizon. So many people yearn to be pampered and consoled, whether it takes the form of consulting an analyst or blubbing on the evening news because their pet cat died.

In 2007, a man really doesn’t have to fight for his next meal when he steps into a boxing ring. His world won’t cave in if he fails to win a tacky ‘world’ championship belt, because there are always plenty of others to aim at. By the simple law of averages, Shannon Briggs eventually had to win some kind of title, surplus lard and all.

As a result, the mental discipline of fighters has, in general, weakened. Tracy Callis picks up on this point when he says: “The society of earlier years in America, and most other nations, insisted upon strict adherence to its rules. This attitude prevailed in athletics as well. An athlete who was trained in a certain manner to fight a certain way generally followed the rules while in training and fought his fight as planned.

“Absolute insistence to follow the rules by those in charge developed an absolute resolution to do so on the part of the fighter. This, in turn, cultivated an absolute will in many cases. So, it seems that an earlier time in our history produced men of greater will and has the advantage here.

“Furthermore, many of today’s boxers fight dumb. They follow their opponents around almost in a straight line. They do not cut off the ring, they fight in a straight-up stance, they hardly ever crouch and they position themselves at a range that is perfect for the opponent to strike. No wonder Muhammad Ali was able to jab his foes so easily, which is not meant as a put-down to Muhammad.”

Mike Hunnicut agrees. “The great lessons of the past are being lost. Now, take the two-hands-high defence. Didn’t anybody tell these guys today that once a kid is able to slip, roll and counter with impunity, his defence will be far more effective? The best way is to master those skills, which then allows you to hold the left hand down – where it should be, where it is most versatile and effective. The hands can then be brought up and around at any time.

“Marcel Cerdan was a poster child for the hands-up defence and was a natural slipper of punches. But when he got nailed, he was not an excellent roller and counter puncher in the way that Mickey Walker was. Nobody ever said Gene Tunney was easy to hit in close or otherwise with his looser and more relaxed style.

“Didn’t today’s guys ever figure out that Jack Dempsey whips Joe Louis nearly every time? I can prove it to anyone by the evidence of their respective styles and opponents. Jack was simply harder to hit, especially cleanly, because he was an absolute master of the tactics I have described.”

The simple and sagely advice of Nat Fleischer continues to ring out from his little treasure of a boxing manual. “There’s plenty of room for good boxers in this world of ours, and if you start right in with the idea that you’re going to get somewhere, you’ll succeed.

“Get into the game with a bang. Pitch in with the spirit that makes a fighter. Show your ambition and don’t let it lag. That’s what will lead to a successful career. Persistence, courage, willpower, gameness, conscientious study – in short – stick-to-itness – will get you to the top.

“By mastering the technique of balance, stance and fist-making, you have the three most important items in boxing under your control.”

Once upon a time, boxing was a big and sumptuous cake in the sporting world. The size of that cake has sadly diminished in recent decades, sliced up by the greedy and the self-serving within. For all that, we still have some wonderful fighters and excellent trainers who continue to heed Fleischer’s great clarion call. The simple argument here is that we should have many more and that we should not be too proud to look to our rich and glorious past for inspiration.

The old masters showed us the way and handed us the keys to the castle. We dropped them and regressed.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that Rocky Marciano did a lot of Crossfit workouts and that Jake Lamotta was big into yoga and pilates.

Also rumor has it that Harry Greb credited his superior conditioning to cross training in BJJ

Also rumor has it that Harry Greb credited his superior conditioning to cross training in BJJ

That you've even heard of Greb suggests you have some knowledge, so it's disappointing you've decided to just act the fool.

That you've even heard of Greb suggests you have some knowledge, so it's disappointing you've decided to just act the fool.

I was just messing around dude, actually I have read I'm quite a few places that Greb preferred the pub to the gym. But that still didn't stop him from laying a beat down on Gene Tunney. They also credit Freddie Welch as the first boxer to use sprint intervals, he would run hard for 3 minutes,rest 1 minute, then repeat.

I do know that one of the oldest boxing training methods is wood chopping, which is great for boxing because it develops explosive power. People lump "strength" training together but there are so many different TYPES of strength that each requires a different amount of attention. One of the best breakdowns of it put in a very concise manner is right here: Video 1 combatsportspower.com

They also credit Freddie Welch as the first boxer to use sprint intervals, he would run hard for 3 minutes,rest 1 minute, then repeat.

Bob Fitzsimmons did something similar, he used to alternate between sprinting and walking between telephone poles as part of his road work. But on other days he also did straight jogging.

Managed to learn a fair bit about old school nutrition after starting this thread; broke it off into its own topic but may as well post what I have in here too for the discussion's sake: Diets recommended by the old-timers, found through links provided by another Sherdogger and leafing through my father's old copy of Jack Dempsey's Championship Fighting.

First up, Jim Jeffries's thoughts:

The Mike Casey Archive | The Cyber Boxing Zone

Big Jeff’s thoughts on training and technique were interesting and insightful and he could never learn enough. For Jeff, it was hunger, in its most literal sense, that was the great spur. When preparing for a fight, he attached great importance to eating and drinking only the required amounts. “A man can dissipate more and hurt himself more by eating than by drinking,” he insisted.

Jeffries gave himself five months to train for his championship winning match against Bob Fitzsimmons and did so meticulously. Jeff’s physical and nutritional preparations for that historic battle were a telling reflection of his precise and organised mind.

“I trained two months on the road in the ordinary way,” he explained. “Then I put in three months of the hardest kind of work, running, boxing and above all, dieting for the fight. I weighed 247 pounds stripped when I began the real work of conditioning, and that was my normal weight – not fat.

“For three months, I ate hardly anything. You’d be amazed to know how little a big man really needs to eat and how much stronger a man becomes if he doesn’t eat too much. It’s no joke that people dig their graves with their teeth.

“I would eat two small lamb chops for my dinner, with all the fat trimmed off. That made about two small bites to each chop. I had a little fruit and toast. I had dry toast for months – very little. All through that hard training, I ate as little as I could and drank nothing at all but a little cool water with lemon juice in it.”

Jeffries's fighting weight was normally just a little over 220 lbs.

jeffries1900.jpg

Jim Jeffries

Next up, and much more detailed, is this diet recommended by Dempsey, "for an amateur who has a job":

6 A.M. Rise. Drink a cup of hot tea, or a cup of beef broth or chicken broth.

6:30 A.M. Hit the road.

7 A.M. Arrive home. Take a brief sweat-out and shower. Have breakfast of fruit juice, cereal, eggs and milk or tea.

12:30 A.M. Lunch of lettuce and tomato on toast (perhaps with two or three slices of bacon). Glass of milk or cup of tea. If you do not have bacon with the lettuce-tomato sandwich, you can drink a malted milk.

6 P.M Gymnasium. Have a cup of hot tea with lemon before the workout.

7:15 P.M. Workout completed.

7:45 P.M. Home and dinner: half grapefruit or glass of fruit juice or cup of broth. A salad with olive oil and perhaps lemon juice. No vinegar! Meat - anything broiled [grilled] or boiled; nothing fried. Steak, chops or chicken. Stews are good if you need to gain weight. Also, a baked potato, if you need to gain weight. But no pork, veal, lobster, shrimp, crabmeat or starchy foods like spaghetti.

For dessert: stewed fruit, apricots, pears or rhubarb, etc. Also hot tea. No pastries.

8:15 P.M. Relax half an hour.

8:45 P. M. Take a fifteen minute walk.

9 P.M. Bed.

Some further thoughts are offered by Dempsey in an amusingly outdated copy of Muscle Builder, popular with S&C types for its unapologestic praise of the "strong, robust fellow" and editorial contention that "Weakness Is A Crime":

Muscle Builder - February 1925 - Part One

Muscle Builder - February 1925 - Part Four

"A few words concerning diet cannot be amiss, for it is one of the most important items on the program of the man who would keep his muscles and internal organs at their best.

"The things I eat in abundance are fresh vegetables and fruits, fresh and stewed. I like both equally well. And fruit and vegetables, plus good water, are the foundation of a healthful diet. Red meats, such as steak, I seldom eat when not in training. When doing me heaviest work I eat steak about twice a week. I go light on fowl; partaking of it only about once in seven days.

"My favourite meat is lamb chops. When other kinds are served me they usually come in the form of boiled dinners, in which they are cooked with many vegetables. Cereals, eggs, cheese and all kinds of salads and ice cream just about make up the remainder of my menu.

Pastries are splendid - to decorate the windows of ... restaurants. But the fellows who decorate their interiors with that stuff are playing with gastronomical dynamite."

dempsey1.jpg

Jack Dempsey

So, compared with the modern approach, how would you chaps evaluate this sort of dietary programme, just in case anyone was thinking of kicking it old school?

Back