Training Log, Notebook, videos

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by fightme, Sep 17, 2010.

1. fightme

fightme Green Belt

Do you guys keep notes on what is taught in class? I have been struggling for years with a way to keep the techniques that I learn at my academy organized. I have tried each of the following with limited success.

- Notepad in my gym pad
    Pros: I could log info right after(and sometimes during class)
    Cons: a.) Notepad got all torn up from my sweaty gi b.) I would often rush my notes and not get the necessary level of detail.​

- Notes after class
    Pros: Plenty of time to record details.
    Cons: a.) Depends on what is going on after class I may have to wait until after CrossFit b.) Some times forget details.

- Video recording techniques
    Pros: Picture worth a thousand words.
    Cons: a.) Gotta make sure not to damage my camera b.) Have to extract and video after I get home.​

2. HEAVY GRAPPLER

HEAVY GRAPPLER Brown Belt

I am trying to use a blog. But it is infits and starts. I haven't updates it in weeks. Soon I will start using videos.

3. fightme

fightme Green Belt

I have a blog but I have gone from a few blog posts a week to a blog post every couple of months. I know..bad blogger..

4. fightme

fightme Green Belt

So most of you do not take any notes whatsoever?

5. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

I take a variety of different types of notes:

1. New techniques
    -I use a short hand system of writing stuff down that makes sense to me and that is pretty clear so I can write quickly. I try to write down not only what I remember of the technique, but how the instructor explains it (analogies, etc....). Sometimes the way something is explained teaches a lot more than the actual move itself.
    -I'll make a video sometimes recreating the instruction of the move and then compare my explanation with the way I remember the instructor showing it. This, as a form of teaching, also helps me learn more about the move and maybe remember points that I may have forgotten.

2. Old techniques
    -I take notes on moves that I already have in my arsenal. I will deconstruct the moves, try to figure out what each part does, how my body is supposed to move and dig out any other relevant things that seem meaningful in the technique. Then I will try to figure out if the move makes sense to do, if there is a more efficient way (or a variation that is better for another situation) to do it or if it is just a move that doesn't really make any sense to use when I break it down.

3. Philosophical/strategic ramblings
    -I'll write about certain positions, situations, strategies or philosophies that I have regarding certain things in BJJ and use the writings to help crystallize my ideas. Then I take the ideas and apply them to my training and go from there.

4. Performance notes
    -Technical and mental breakdowns of tournament matches and sometimes training sessions that I have at my school or other schools I visit. I focus on mistakes that I may have made or things that I could have done better. Video is a very very useful tool for this, but I also go from memory a lot also as it helps me to keep myself used to being more aware during my matches rather than relying only on video.

There are also times, like right now, where I take a break from note taking and that type of stuff and just enjoy training for the sake of training without a concern for systematic improvement.

Hope that helps!

6. ItsArun

ItsArun Green Belt