Training Judo and BJJ at the same time

i think 12 years is the new F12 necro record

I've been doing Judo 6 1/2 years (brown belt) and BJJ 4 1/2 years (3 stripe blue belt). I used to train 2 x Judo + 2-3 x BJJ + 1 x Karate a week, but have cut back to 1 x each per week this year due to saving $ to buy a house. To improve you really need at least 2 x a week in each style. 1 x a week I don't feel like I'm improving now, just keeping the same level.

Anyway, I feel very comfortable in standup situations at BJJ, even against bigger or higher ranked guys. I also feel more comfortable in ground situations at Judo. Judo guys tend to be a bit more aggressive and strong, I guess coming from the explosive nature of the sport, so strength is a bonus. Judo guys tend to turtle up and give their back too easily on the ground. Doing both is great, I love it.

As for time to black belt in Judo, fastest I've seen is about 5 years. That would be training 3x a week and regular competitions. Average is more like 7-8 years. I hope to get there in 10 years lol.

I'm brown in both BJJ and Judo and have trained side by side since I started BJJ 8 years ago, or so. haha, got my brown in Judo 15 years ago. Anyway, I think they're great to train side by side as you can employ almost all the concepts from one to the other. They really do work hand in hand and will give you better takedwons than a BJJ guy and better ground work than Judo guys.

I got my black belt in Judo when I was 17 years old, however I started when I was around 9/10. I started BJJ when I was around 13, I am now 22, but I have a brown belt in it. But I did get promoted twice when I studied in the usa, I think ranking in Russia takes a longer time as you usually need to wait for a seminar.

I think Judo has benefited my game somewhat, for grip fighting; sure. But I have mostly always trained in freestyle at a pretty high level, I have usually used my high-c and low single/lateral drop in no-gi sub wrestling, but usually went for more judo takedowns in gi bjj.

Back