Training in Wrestling?

Dake

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How many of you guys have a place where you can train just straight wrestling? I never wrestled in high school, but I'd like to wrestle in Junior College when I get out of the military, and I was wondering if there are schools where I could just work wrestling. I know there are stand-alone boxing gyms, does such a thing exist as a stand-alone wrestling gym? If not, is there any chance I could maybe volunteer coach at a local high-school or something? Any input is appreciated! Thanks guys:)

without any experience i doubt any high school is going to let you work on the coaching staff. but there are a lot of open mats at community colleges and community centers where you can just go to drill moves and live wrestle with people

Interesting, I'll check out community centers. The closest community college that has wrestling is about 3 hours away.

There's wrestling classes where I train, and God knows I need to get some sort of TD/TD defense, but I've never been to one. I don't do enough submission stuff as it is, and it would feel like I'm not using my time wisely if I was wrestling when I should be grappling. I know, my mind doesn't always make sense.

If there were 8 days in a week, I'd probably do the wrestling :icon_chee

If u can't find one...just find a jiu jitsu school.....or an mma school thR does a lot of no gi grappling

I train in judo an no-gi BJJ. We never do any real wrestling. I'm limited by being far from any real schools that would have wrestling.

Look up a wrestling club, there all over where I live. Usually they've got great coaches, smaller amounts of other wrestlers (for more individual attention, and give a better quality wrestling experience than say a MMA gym. MMA gyms only teach wrestling that's applicable for MMA, so I suggest a club.

And sorry, guys who coach have usually been doing it their whole lives.

You may try finding an MMA or jujitsu gym with a lot of wrestlers and just asking them if they can help you with some of the basics. I'm always happy to give someone advice on wrestling. MMA is really helping to juice interest in wrestling which kicks ass.

Tough to find something like that. I would definitely look around for open mat times at the local colleges. You may alsow ant to check and see if there is a CSW affiliate near you.

Email/call the local high school wrestling coach and ask him. If you have never wrestled, you could probably benefit a lot from working with one of his students. And since he is probably 16 or 17, he would be pumped to get $15 a lesson once or twice a week for some extra spending cash.

call every MA academy whether it is grappling or not and see if they have a wrestling program. Here in Vegas there are no such clubs for wrestlers out of high school, so i took it upon myself to make a deal with the owner of an academy to teach his students wrestling also. Joined up with the kenpo karate school and started a wrestling program for people who just wanted to get some wrestling under their belt. Started two weeks ago and the numbers are now huge.

join a bjj/mma gym. u may find other things that u like, n there's always wrestlers at these places, so just ask some of them to help u out. also people dont usually say no to rolling or doing takedowns.

Most local high schools have offseason clubs where they practice greco/freestyle. Call around and ask about that. In off season (usually spring/summer) there are a lot of open tournaments you can enter as you continue to practice. I know you said you are miliatry but after one offseason of training look at going to 1-2 wrestling camps. If you live around PA or SC I can recommend a few good ones for you. Just PM if interested.

The more face time you get with local coaches, the more camps and tournaments you do, the more opportunities you will come across as well. Couple years of doing those and by then you should have a conenction with a local high school that will let you come roll around with their guys during regular season.

Back