Training in Thailand Questions

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Strats, May 17, 2014.

1. Strats

Strats White Belt

So I will be going to Thailand in a few months on holiday but wanted to get some training in whilst I'm there. I will be staying in the Karon Beach area. As someone fairly new to Muay Thai and from reading other threads Sinbi seems like the best place to go .

My question is what is the best way to get from my hotel (the Hilton) to Sinbi for training sessions and how much will it cost? Renting a car or motorcycle is out of the question.

Also, in terms of gear where's the best place to buy gloves etc from? The Sinbi shop or somewhere else?

2. Strats

Strats White Belt

A couple more n00b questions:

Is there somewhere safe to keep your things whilst you train?
    Do you need your own skipping rope or are there ones you can use at the gym?

3. Travs

Travs White Belt

You will definitely be able to get a taxi to Sinbi each day, it will add up though..... Best bet would be to email Sinbi gym and they might know the cost. I can't see it being any less than 400bht each way.

The Sinbi shop is pretty good, decent choice of gloves etc.

You will be able to buy a rope there, but if you are new to skipping i'd get your own before you go, or you will end up with a thai 'heavy' rope. But you can also cycle or row to warm up at sinbi.

Most people seemed to just leave their bags at one end of the gym, i can't see you ever having a problem at sinbi with leaving valuables around.

4. Deathstriker

Deathstriker I eat Simba and wear his skin

1. If you are staying at Karon look into Chang or Sitsongpeenog.

2. If you don't want to rent a car or motorbike (the cheapest option) then you will have to take a tuk tuk taxi. It is 500 to 1100 baht a trip based on your negotiation skills. I strongly advise you stay closer to Sinbi (use agoda.com for hotels close to camp) if you aren't willing to motorbike it.

3. The Sinbi shop is overpriced but has merchandise with their name on it minus gloves and shinguards. Fightlab on the main street will have whatever you need for a cheaper.

5. ironwolf

ironwolf Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Why is renting a bike out of the question? its probably 15 minute ride to sinbi from Karon/Kata beach area.

and x2 on fightlab.

6. Strats

Strats White Belt

Thanks guys

Are you guys being serious about a taxi costing 500-1000 baht? That's more than it would cost in London or NY. What's up with that?

And I've never ridden a motorbike before and apparently Thailand isn't the place to learn given how crazy the driving is

7. Strats

Strats White Belt

Deathstriker, are Chang and Sitsongpeenong as farang friendly as Sinbi? Will they make you run etc?

8. Deathstriker

There is a tuk tuk mafia that jacks up the prices. Phuket has highly inflated prices due to lots of tourism.

You can learn to ride one there, takes about an hour. Find an isolated place to practice by nai harn and get someone to teach you. Or just rent a moped at home and try it out. If you don't want to ride a moped, Phuket will be harder to traverse. If you are insistent on staying at that hotel, you will have to man up and ride a moped like the rest of us.

No idea about those camps, but they should be farang friendly. Check out muaythailand.com for reviews.

9. gotobread

gotobread Purple Belt

Even if you learn to ride a motorbike in Thailand, I wouldn't recommend the trip between Karon and Nai Harn. There's the hill, the trip through Kata, etc. Not particularly newbie friendly. If you have your heart set on Karon, one of the Patong gyms will likely be easier for you to get to.

10. Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

While Kata hill between Nai Harn and Kata isn't as dangerous as it use to be. I still wouldn't want to drive over it too often at night. I had a crackhead Thai try to kick me off my motorbike a few years ago to rob me.

11. whitesport

whitesport Brown Belt

True, don

12. Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

Chang use to be very good, but then it changed owners.

13. GoatyP

GoatyP Blue Belt

Lol. I learned how to ride a moped in krabi. I had to pretend that i had ridden before so they would rent to me. Be careful when u accelerate because those things fly!!
    It took abt 30 minutes to get the hang of it. I even got decent enough to ride around bali with a crowd of people.

Btw be careful when u fill up with gas cause i had no idea how much to put in and got ripped off.

14. Strats

Strats White Belt

The hotel can't be changed...this is more of a holiday with training rather than a training trip. The people I am going with don't care for muay thai so i've been overruled on this.

Are motorcycle taxis viable and will they be cheaper than normal taxis/tuk tuks?

15. My little Tony

My little Tony Orange Belt

Depends on how much you're carrying. I used a lot of motortaxi's, but I only had a backpack.

16. Cyclone Mike

Cyclone Mike Amateur Fighter

I got a motorbike without ever having rented before and I was fine. That being said though... on the trip between Karon and Nai Harn on a motorbike, I always felt like I was going to die.

17. Strats

Strats White Belt

This might be the best option...to and from training I would only have a backpack or holdall

18. Deathstriker

I've only seen motortaxi's in Patong, don't know about Karon. I didn't have a problem driving to Karon from nai harn. Did the trip to Patong every weekend.

19. ironwolf

ironwolf Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I learned to ride bikes in Thailand. Did the red from nai harn to karon/kata an to patong lots of times. I actually really like biking it.

20. Deathstriker

I just looked up everything, Sitsongpeenong is actually north of Patong. Chang is on the far south side of Karon so the walk will be long.