Training in Phoenix

rjanice712

White Belt
Reaction score
I'll be moving to Phoenix from southern California in the next 9 months and am looking for somewhere to train once I get there. I've heard good things about Gustavo Dantas, JC BJJ, and Megaton. Does anyone have any experience with the BJJ scene in Phoenix that could help me out?

There's good schools in any part of the valley, really depends on where you'll be staying.

If you want to excel in top position, passing and judo go with Megaton. If you like guard and sweeps, Gustavo is where its at. Both are excellent choices either way. I also would add Ryan Bulagard to this list, he's a great teacher and amazing in judo.

Megaton is located in Scottdale, Gustavo Tempe area, and Ryan in Mesa.

Tanquinho is at Megaton's alot too from what I understand... that alone would make me go there if I lived in Phoenix.

My game is better from the top position, but my guard and sweeps are slowly catching up.

Being that I'll be going to school in Tempe, working in Tempe, and depending on my roommate hopefully living in Tempe, it would make sense for me to train in Tempe as well. I'll be going around to different places this weekend to check em out. GD BJJ, and Megaton are on the list for Friday, and I'll be going to The Lab to see their gi class and to watch my friend spar on Saturday. Any others that would be worth the time going to?

I've trained with a lot of Megatons guys so I know they are very good. I'd say the caliber of their belts is typically higher than other gyms I've trained at. I actually like Megatons black belts better than Megaton when it comes to teaching. His place is the best place to train if you also want to have great Judo.

This said, there are maybe two things that annoy me there.

1) Dudes roll their like it is life or death and sometimes won't tap even if you are in a position to do serious damage. I saw this myself with lower bels and while watching others. In fact, I witnessed a knee injury happen that I believe was easily preventable. It isn't everyone there who does but it is worse than I've seen at any other gym and it was easily preventable.

2) Megaton only promotes if you go to his Christmas party (I got this one second hand from his students who I often rolled with). This means he only promotes once a year. This could bug some people but I could care less personally. My only real criticism is #1.

I've heard people criticize his students for sandbagging. If you know about his daughter that is an obvious example but last time I visited I'd most of their serious competitors could compete well one or two ranks higher. I think a lot of competitive schools do this and some people see it as a badge of honor of sorts (i.e., that he doesn't give away belts or that you really have to earn them).

If you want to excel in top position, passing and judo go with Megaton. If you like guard and sweeps, Gustavo is where its at. Both are excellent choices either way. I also would add Ryan Bulagard to this list, he's a great teacher and amazing in judo.

Megaton is located in Scottdale, Gustavo Tempe area, and Ryan in Mesa.

Beauregard

Also don't forger Lotus Club and Gracie Arizona. Lots of good schools to choose from really. Jay Pages BJJ too.

I actually train at Megaton's, so let me address some of these comments:

"1) Dudes roll their like it is life or death and sometimes won't tap even if you are in a position to do serious damage. I saw this myself with lower bels and while watching others. In fact, I witnessed a knee injury happen that I believe was easily preventable. It isn't everyone there who does but it is worse than I've seen at any other gym and it was easily preventable."

I think any school in the area will have people who roll competitively in their respective competition class. Megaton doesn't promote "no tapping" in any way. If you happened to have had that experience, I'm sorry.

"2) Megaton only promotes if you go to his Christmas party (I got this one second hand from his students who I often rolled with). This means he only promotes once a year. This could bug some people but I could care less personally. My only real criticism is #1."

This isn't true. While the majority of promotions do come at the Christmas party, there have been multiple people who get promoted throughout the year.

"I've heard people criticize his students for sandbagging. If you know about his daughter that is an obvious example but last time I visited I'd most of their serious competitors could compete well one or two ranks higher. I think a lot of competitive schools do this and some people see it as a badge of honor of sorts (i.e., that he doesn't give away belts or that you really have to earn them). "

You'd have to ask Megaton how exactly he prioritizes promotions. I think sandbagging is a funny term. If someone is better at their belt than YOU think they should be, is that sandbagging? Or, is it that someone wins multiple titles at a belt, and doesn't get promoted? I agree that if someone wins a local tournament/national tournament they should be promoted. From what I have seen, that seems to hold true.

In regards to which school:

We are fortunate to have such great training opportunities in the Phoenix area. You should really travel around and get a feel for which one you like the most. A fair amount of the schools cross train with other schools. It's a good environment for jiu-jitsu.

I've trained with Ryan Beauregard and his brothers. They periodically come by Megaton's to train. A good group of people. I haven't trained directly with John Crouch, but I have friends who enjoy the training there. I though his only school was at the LAB, but someone could correct me on that. The LAB is a great facility, but it's also across the valley from Tempe. Gustavo has always been very good to work with, but I haven't trained with him directly. I've just worked with him on competitions. His guys always tend to do well in competitions.

Any place you pick will get you great training, just pick a place that fits you best.

If you come by Megaton's on Friday, come to the morning class. First, it's the only class of the day, and second it's the best representation of the upper belts.

Thanks for all of the responses guys. I'll be there on Friday (I live in San Diego now) for the weekend, and after I check some places out I'll come back and let you know what I think.
I wont be able to go in for a class or open mat until the spring, last Wednesday I had shoulder surgery for a torn labrum and ligaments, so I have some recovery time ahead.

Back