Training in Okinawa

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Corrosion, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Creonte

Hey folks,

I'm a blue belt with sporadic training the last few years due to military life. Looks like I'll be moving to Okinawa in a few months. Does anyone know any good places to train there?

2. APWiseman

APWiseman White Belt

I visited a friend stationed there 1-2 years ago. There is a black belt that teaches at Kaedena (sp?) air force base (M-W-F) as well as one of the marine bases (Tues-Th). Classes are usually around 6pm. There is also Muay Thai at one of the bases.

Here it is:

http://www.mccsokinawa.com/martial_arts/

3. sak

sak White Belt

Fredson Paixao's brother from another mother! Ivan Sakamoto!

4. Strychnine

Strychnine Steel Belt

I was stationed there from 06 to '10 and there was a gym (if you're leaving Kadena) going towards Camp Lester.... Go past the Arcade and past the Naval Hospital... There's a gym inside of like a four story building on your right.. Some of the Gyrenes I played poker with trained there..

5. someoldguy

someoldguy White Belt

Depending on where you live...Camp Hansen's "House of Pain" used to be a big and impressive facility (upstairs) with some BJJ and MMA going on, not sure about now-but it might be worth a look.

6. MitsuyoMaeda

MitsuyoMaeda White Belt

Waka BJJ (ATOS lineage) in Naha, My BJJ Team, Capoeira Gym, and Ivan Sakamoto. There use to be a Shooto gym on Okinawa close to Naha I think. That's all the gyms I can remember. If you go up north to Nago there are some community Judo dojos. One of the instructors there is very old but he is very knowledgeable in Ne Waza. Also Okinawa has several kick boxing gyms and they have the best boxing gyms in all of Japan. Hope this helps.