Training in humid climate similar to training at altitude?

xilliun

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Was thinking cos of the humid weather at Muay Thai training tonight was making me gas out a lot faster than normal. The benefits of training at altitude are well documented (except shane carwin, lol) so the main question is that if you were to train in a humid environment for extended periods, come fight time, would your cardiovascular endurance be better off due to this?

No. The benefits of altitude training derive from the body's adaptation to rarefied oxygen. Humidity doesn't affect oxygen levels at all.

Was thinking cos of the humid weather at Muay Thai training tonight was making me gas out a lot faster than normal. The benefits of training at altitude are well documented (except shane carwin, lol) so the main question is that if you were to train in a humid environment for extended periods, come fight time, would your cardiovascular endurance be better off due to this?

Actually no but one thing it does help in is developing your ability to move blood. People who train in warmer weather have improved cooling systems in their body. You must stay properly hydrated and it is a good idea to take breaks for extended time to help keep your temp. down. Not good to do long runs in this heat and your training should be done indoors if possible. But stay hydrated and if you feel a little cramping drink a little more water. Improved cooling systems do help a little with endurance as your body has to work harder to cool you so if your body is better able to bring your temp. down it reduces the strain on your cooling systems.

EDIT: The best distance runners come from warm climates and high altitudes so in combination makes for great endurance athletes.

No, but it can help you mentally.

It can ruin your damn day also. Its been 100 w/90% here. Freakin ridiculous. I just run at 5am and then hide in side all day. Freakin pool feels like a jacuzzi.

Not that bad here, just coming out of winter so 20c during the day, but tonight was just cold, humid and miserable. haven't experienced that here before in australia.

It can ruin your damn day also. Its been 100 w/90% here. Freakin ridiculous. I just run at 5am and then hide in side all day. Freakin pool feels like a jacuzzi.

Are you in southern china too?..lol

Yeah I have to say since I have started training here again. I do seem to cool off alittle faster than before. But I should probably drink more water.

Are you in southern china too?..lol

Yeah I have to say since I have started training here again. I do seem to cool off alittle faster than before. But I should probably drink more water.

No. Central Alabama. Its stupid humid.

Back