Training in Chiba, Japan.

Spyder Guard

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello,

For two weeks I will be visiting a friend in Japan this July, staying in Chuo-ku, Chiba City, Chiba. I had a quick look at BJJ places to visit in Chiba, but didn't come up with much, or anything too English friendly. I see there is an Axis gym, but it appeared they didn't want people who weren't Axis affiliates (I'm a Will/Machado purple belt).
"Students of others academies or clubs will not be allowed to participate in the training sessions."

I don't really want to take a gi when it is not a training trip, but maybe it would be fun to stop into a no-gi grappling session somewhere. In fact, it doesn't need to be BJJ, just something grappling-focused. Leg-lock oriented would be a big plus as I don't get that much at home. Any suggestions that are easy to find? I'm going to struggle to find anything not really obvious, I cannot speak or read Japanese.

I've already got tickets to sumo organised and there will be occasional trips to Tokyo, but mostly for touristy things. Additionally are there any worthwhile martial arts shops to check out in Chiba or Tokyo? Not really looking for anything in particular though.

Cheers.

anything too English friendly

You probably won't find anything english-friendly outside of Tokyo. Don't let that stop you though, most people can understand basic written english even if they don't speak it. Just message them on Facebook or something.

Or just show up, I would be very surprised if you get turned down.

There's a Paraestra in Chiba City that I've trained at. El Karlo used to train there. If you are looking to do some drop-ins, everyone is really friendly and welcoming. Send him a PM.

Back