training grips

McBryde Mats LLC

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey guys, does anyone use training grips? I'm looking at buying some new ones, I lost my last set in the move.
I was using heavygrips, but I never really liked them as the position of the handle wasnt ideal and didn't sit well in my palm, also, they must have been made for people with bigger hands than mine, because i used to have to curl them around the edge of the grips and squeeze to get started with my other hand.

Anyways, does anyone else here use some sort of grip training equipment like this? I've also been doing silks lately to try and bring the grip up, but i need something stronger now, recommendations?

Hey guys, does anyone use training grips? I'm looking at buying some new ones, I lost my last set in the move.
I was using heavygrips, but I never really liked them as the position of the handle wasnt ideal and didn't sit well in my palm, also, they must have been made for people with bigger hands than mine, because i used to have to curl them around the edge of the grips and squeeze to get started with my other hand.

Anyways, does anyone else here use some sort of grip training equipment like this? I've also been doing silks lately to try and bring the grip up, but i need something stronger now, recommendations?
I use these and they work well for me (in the car or when I'm reading). I find the most efficient way of working on my grip is to do pull-ups on really thick bars (or doing pull-ups with a towel).

What are silks?

I use these and they work well for me (in the car or when I'm reading). I find the most efficient way of working on my grip is to do pull-ups on really thick bars (or doing pull-ups with a towel).

What are silks?

For sure, I agree, use them everywhere .. I used to keep my grips all around the house, so they gone, never to be found in some box somewhere that will never be opened.
I like using fat bars for dead-lifting and pull-ups as well, but nothings improved my grip strength like sets with those 300lb grips.
Silks are just long silk cloths, hung from the roof and you use them to climb, or for acrobatics, just like a rope really, but its murder on the grip and fore arms...its like climbing a curtain

I just looked at that link, thats a pretty innovative idea :) they need to make some with a bit more poundage tho, 80lbs is for schoolgirls... haha My 350lb Heavygrip was a real monster, getting that sucker for 3 will make your collar grips and cuff holds unstoppable

For sure, I agree, use them everywhere .. I used to keep my grips all around the house, so they gone, never to be found in some box somewhere that will never be opened.
I like using fat bars for dead-lifting and pull-ups as well, but nothings improved my grip strength like sets with those 300lb grips.
Silks are just long silk cloths, hung from the roof and you use them to climb, or for acrobatics, just like a rope really, but its murder on the grip and fore arms...its like climbing a curtain

I just looked at that link, thats a pretty innovative idea :) they need to make some with a bit more poundage tho, 80lbs is for schoolgirls... haha My 350lb Heavygrip was a real monster, getting that sucker for 3 will make your collar grips and cuff holds unstoppable
Wow, I need to try those grips. I've been using the school girl ones...

They say that the 80lb. Iron Crush is comparable to a 200lb. heavy grip.

I'm mainly adding this to feel less like a school girl. But it's true.

Last edited:
Do you guys just squeeze these things all day long or do you do a set of exercises?

Wow, I need to try those grips. I've been using the school girl ones...

They say that the 80lb. Iron Crush is comparable to a 200lb. heavy grip.

I'm mainly adding this to feel less like a school girl. But it's true.

Haha, yeah, I could see how the dynamics of the thing might make it a bit tougher...but the 200lb grip is for warm ups..haha

Do you guys just squeeze these things all day long or do you do a set of exercises?

I used to do grip training 4 times a week at any stage of the day where I was chilling, or at my desk, where ever, its flexible & thats what makes it a great exercise to do anywhere.
My structure looked like this;
150lb - 20 reps each hand
250 x 12
300 x 10 x 2 sets
350 for as many as possible, usually 2-3 good ones before form goes

The pump is crazy

Back