Training Gloves Question

mitsugi

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi There,

How do you guys maintain your boxing gloves in a way that it will not smell bad?

After training I noticed my hands are all wet with sweat and Im worried that after sometime it will start to smell.

Btw, I just started Muay Thai, I have a 16oz gloves but my gym is giving me a new boxing gloves as a "join in" gift. should I take the same size?

thanks! :p

Keep your handwraps clean. This is often overlooked, but it goes a long way. I use clean handwraps each time I train.

I wash my wraps in a mesh bag such as this:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=16616240&findingMethod=rr

I connect the two sides of the velcro together before I put the in the bag to prevent them from snagging things.

Also, keep the gloves dry. Stuffing them with newspapers after you use them is good for absorbing the moisture. It's also very cheap (or free). Glovedogs work the same way.

Boot dryers are also good for this.

To clean the outside, I wipe it down with a damp paper towel or rag after every time I use them. Then every couple weeks or so, I use weiman leather products on them. That is, if it's real leather.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Weiman-Leather-Cleaner-Conditioner-16-fl-oz/21467425

To answer the second question, I would get 12oz. I'd use the 16 for sparring and the 12 for mitt/bag work.

Last edited:
thanks Radan!

For 16, its not advisable to be used when doing bag work?

sorry,. im pretty new to Muay Thai, but my instructor has these "flat gloves" he holds and asks me to punch it for practice while he holds it,..

for that kind of training,. i should get the 12?

im pretty new, so i think sparring will not be anytime soon,.

I use 16's for everything....but I am a bigger guy(225 lbs.)

Also spraying the inside of your gloves with a deodorizer/anti bacterial spray will help prevent smell along with what radan53 suggested.

I am currently using Odor Aid that i purchased from Amazon. Works great.

thanks Radan!

For 16, its not advisable to be used when doing bag work?

sorry,. im pretty new to Muay Thai, but my instructor has these "flat gloves" he holds and asks me to punch it for practice while he holds it,..

for that kind of training,. i should get the 12?

im pretty new, so i think sparring will not be anytime soon,.

Those flat gloves are mitts. lol.

16 is fine for bag/pad/mitt work, but they're more commonly used for sparring. The extra padding that the 16oz gloves have will help to prevent injuries to your sparring partners; however, like you said, I doubt that you'll be sparring any time soon. Using 12oz gloves for sparring is generally frowned upon because of the lack of protection for the partner.

I prefer 12oz for bag/pad/mitt work because I feel like I can practice proper technique with them, maintain good hand speed, and still get adequate protection for my hands.

There really isn't anything wrong with using 16's for mitt work though. It's just a matter of personal preference.

So, it's really up to you; however, if you ever do choose to start sparring, please have separate gloves for sparring and bag work.

Edit: To add to what Taskmaster99 touched on, heavier people generally tend to use 16's for bag work because they're harder hitters. I'm a a pretty light guy(125 lbs), so 12oz is fine for me on the bags.

Glove dogs or socks filled with cedar chips. Keeps your gloves dry, and smell like wood. Which isn't that bad.
But don't over fill the sock you want just enough to fit inside on the finger area where most of the sweat is.

Back