training for police officers

Properly applied BJJ would be good incase you were takendown, or slipped. If you are always aware of your weapon and everything on your duty belt it will definetly help with weapon retention. Obvious no one is going to be pulling guard during a deadly force level assault (atleast I would hope not), but just because you train BJJ doesn't mean you can't be taken down, so if you were you could atleast stay composed, control your weapon and do what you have to do.

You would also want to train some level of Boxing/Muay Thai, depending on your schedule. Not that you will be KOing people on the job, but it will help your reflexing and avoiding a sucker punch, attack on the feet, ect..

Like I said with BJJ, much the same would go with Judo. So if possible learning some basic BJJ with either wrestling or Judo will definetly help out with weapon retention when your life could be on the line, so long as simple logic is used of course.

Hey I love this thread. Thank You superbeast for giving out the info. As an Officer I like to cross train in Thai-boxing and freestyle Jiu-Jitsu. I will try to keep the following short not to bore everyone else.

1) Training in a style that has ground fighting. BJJ is a good style and has some chokes that can be used against someone with a shirt on, but it also has techniques which will not work for us.

2) Remember your "use of force policy" isued by your department. It is probably pretty open and you can use almost anything if you can articulate "Your life was in danger."

3) The down fall to most styles are that they do not consider the fact that we carry a gun. When I am on the ground with a suspect (and I am not going to shoot him), I have to protect my gun from being taken from me. A guillitine choke hold is useless because my gun can be taken from my holster while I am trying to sink the hold (I did this to several Officers to prove a point). A kimura can work by controling the suspect's hand which is closes to your gun but you have to watch ot for a knife in the other hand.

4) Remember ANY ONE THAT FIGHTS AN OFFICER IS TRYING TO KILL US. It is best to take top control and maintain it. Go study a style that teaches ground fighting for the more that you know the better your chances of survival.

Info only while on duty 1 gangmember tried ot armbar me and on another ocassion another tried to roll and take my ankle. Officers 2 gangsters 0.

Email me if you have any questions about arrest and control techniques I have an officer only video which will be out in about a month (Sherdog will be advertising it for me). Thanks

jiu jitsu is great, but i hear alot if cops use Krav Mega sp*? am i right? i think they do some throws, standup, and gun self defense, (gun on the back etc.) i don't know if they do ground work.

hockeyfacekilla said:
jiu jitsu is great, but i hear alot if cops use Krav Mega sp*? am i right? i think they do some throws, standup, and gun self defense, (gun on the back etc.) i don't know if they do ground work.

I believe Krav Maga does include some ground work these days as it is constantly developing, in part thanks to MMA guys like Bas working with them. I believe Bas Lil Sis aka Shannon Knapp is actually a qualified Krav Maga instructor.

Superbeast said:
I believe Krav Maga does include some ground work these days as it is constantly developing, in part thanks to MMA guys like Bas working with them. I believe Bas Lil Sis aka Shannon Knapp is actually a qualified Krav Maga instructor.
i was even going to say i've seen a little of krav maga in bas

I checked out Krav Magaw and all of its moves are planed out. You practice moves like, jab, right cross, elbow to the face then sweep your opponent to the ground. It has very little ground work unfortunitely. Also I know several Officers who went to instructor school for Krav Magaw and became instructors in 1 month (Who ever heard of style saying someone couold teachater a month). All I can figure out is it must have been an instructor course for only a few techniques? I like all styles and believe that they all have something to offer. Take care

Hey guys, thanks for all the great advice. One more question does anyone know of a good school in the Providence, Rhode Island area? Thanks

Killa_Cs said:
jiujitsu works, judo if you can adapt it to no gi, sambo is possible. manily grappling arts if you either dont have your weapon or cant get to it in time. i forsee standup being almost entirely useless seeing as cops carry mace/batons/guns

Why no gi? are you always walking around topless? A jacket works like a gi, a shirt works aswell.

golbe37 said:
Hi everyone, any advice on a good style for a police officer to study?
I am in my mid 30's and have never taken any martial arts classes before this will be my first. Any advice would be helpful............Thank you
for the purpose of systematic appendage control aikido is a must .control techniques especially in dealing with weapons .but if this is what you do then you'll need to also do some competitive striking art and some groundfighting .don't separate the three .good luck .

http://www.ribjj.com/

BJJ In Rhode Island. If you ask the instructors about standing locks and restraint techniques they should be able to cater to your specific needs.

Also, ignore Jason at your peril, you never know if he'll put a spell on you or not. :D

Superbeast said:
You could always pick up the Kibun jiujitsu DVD made by a police officer for police offers to use. PM JiuJitsu Cop about it, he's the man behind the DVD and I'm sure can give you some valuable advice based on his experiences in your line of work.

DAMN! This is the second time tonight I've been scooped. I really need to read the thread before I post. :redface:

Nice to see we think alike, though. :D

possenti said:
DAMN! This is the second time tonight I've been scooped. I really need to read the thread before I post. :redface:

Nice to see we think alike, though. :D

Great minds think alike.

hey i tried to post a thread about an unrealted MMA question-i know its dumb but i really needed the help and couldn't find it elsewhere...is there a police officer here i can just get a simple answer to a rather simple question to please?

ok i guess that piost didn't get registered....i just need to have a police officer answer an unrelated question for me, i'm sorry to waste your time i know its unrelated to MMA but ii really could not find the answer i needed elsewher eis there a officer here who could help me with a simple question?

sorry it did register just not on my screen.....anyway sorry for the double post....so if any officer can help i'd be extremely grateful

a good police officer diet would be dunkin donuts, as far as training I'd go to the great southern hospitality of georgia and learn how to work a shotty like a pro from some of the true americans down there.

On a serious note as far as law enforcement training don't they teach a lot of jiu jitsu in the military (marines and army)? My friend just got back from basic and said he learned a lot of it but he's in the reserve so who knows. Wouldn't be a long shot though

golbe37 said:
Hi everyone, any advice on a good style for a police officer to study?
I am in my mid 30's and have never taken any martial arts classes before this will be my first. Any advice would be helpful............Thank you

BJJ and Boxing or kickboxing

There is a police officer in my class and only thing I think is, dang i would hate to be the person trying to run from him.

Back