Training for competition !!

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Aprentice, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Aprentice

Aprentice Blue Belt

I got my blue belt about 6 weeks ago. At whitebelt, I won many local tournaments both weight and absolute. This is all in the GI

I haven't been in any competitions yet as a blue belt, but I've decided to go at it full speed immediately. I live in the northeast of brazil, but i got my ticket today to Florianopolis in the south for the IBJJF Sulamericano. This will be in 16 and 17 november. Until then I will participate in two competitions: a small competition in Fortaleza on october 4 and 5, and a larger one in october 19 and 20 (Panamericano of a federation called CBLP also in Fortaleza)

I am not a professional of course, but my office is right next to my academy and work is the only priority after training right now. Also, my work is an office job, not a physical one that would not allow me to recover from training. Also I have a nice mat at my house for mornings and weekends so i dont waste time driving to practice at all....

So basically, what I want is help with any information you might have of what the training schedule, intensity and details look for the top competitors. I would also like any information you might have about what their died looks like and what supplements they take. I heard the Myiao brothers for example have one of the craziest training schedules. I am in a moment where I am feeling great and I am willing to sacrifice alot for this. It would be a shame not to optimize this due to lack of information.

I would also like to know if there is another forum where you think i should post this!

This is what my training schedule is looking like right now*:

Monday thru thursday:

From 6 to 7 AM : technical training, positional drills, repetition repetition
    from 7 to 8 AM: sparring, usually three 20 minute rolls with a black or purple
    12:30 to 1:30 PM: Normal class, warm up, drill, about four 6 minute rolls
    8:30 to 9:30 PM: same normal class, warm up, drill about 4 6 minute rolls

Friday: REST

Saturday and Sunday:

8:30 to 9:30 AM: weight lifting
    10:00 to 11:30 AM: super awesome general academy training, about 8 to 10 6 minute intense rolls, sometimes all of them with in shape black belts
    11:30 AM to 4:00 PM: work, rest, eat
    4:00 PM to 5:00 PM: other activity/sport like surfing or jogging at the beach with my dog
    6:00PM to 8:00PM: 1 hour of warmup technique and drilling, 1 hour of sparring

* This is what normally happens, but ofcourse there are exceptions like birthdays, small work trips (though i compensante by training at other places), the eventual cold, etc

I try to eat as healthy as possible, always eating many fruits and juices and keeping it very diversified. Lots of chicken and fish and sweet potatoes and etc...

As for my supplements, I am talking personally to professionals about it but I would also see opinions and articles regarding this and BJJ competition and fitness. i take:
    - 1 megamen when i wake up and 1 megamen before sleeping
    - 1 high quality BCAA before and after each training
    - 1 high quality weigh protein scoop with malto before and after each training
    - 5 grams of creatine and 5 grams of glutamine

I stretch every day and i see a physiotherapist friend of mine about once a month regardless of injuries. I am in an extremely good phase, with no injuries for a while and feeling great. I just turned 26 years old a couple days ago, so i guess i could be younger

THANKS EVERY HELP IS APRECIATED

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  2. Kevza

Kevza Blue Belt

If you are winning comps, just keep doing what youre doing. It seems to be working for you.

3. Aprentice

Aprentice Blue Belt

I have been winning local comps. Some are CBJJ (IBJJF) some are from other federations. Now I will go to my first larger and important IBJJF competition and then worlds next year. I am looking to take it to a new level and I want to do my homework.

So again, any articles, schedules, information, opinions are welcome. Any references as to what the top guys schedules look like, or what you think they should look like even!

4. BJJArsenal

BJJArsenal Brown Belt

To be honest man, that schedule looks great. I remember watching one of your vids when you were a white belt and there were definitely things for you to work on which I wrote down for you if you want to check them out if you haven't already fixed them all... BUT if you're training like that a lot with lots of high levels guys then you'll be in great form quickly.

All the best man, keep us posted on the comps.

5. spectrum

spectrum White Belt

I know you're looking for ideas of templates, but as others have said... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm guessing that top level guys are training as much as their schedule allows. They're eating relatively healthy. They're doing accessory training (lifting, mobility) for injury prevention and recovery. They're training with other top level guys. They're competing regularly.

Sounds like you are doing most (if not all) of that. Keep it simple, don't overthink it. Train your ass off, stay healthy and hungry.

The best indicator of preparedness is your performance in recent tournaments, big or small. Did you have your nerves under control? Did you have an adequate warm-up? Did you have a game-plan and were you able to execute it? Were you able to dictate the pace of the matches? Were you able to survive and escape bad positions? Even if you won every match, it's likely that you (or your coach) discovered areas that need improvement.

6. Aprentice

Aprentice Blue Belt

Thanks my man! I will keep posting all my comps here whenever i have someone to film. Hope they have people filming in Florianopolis, since im going alone and wont have someone to film for me..

I have all my posts links saved and you have had some good advice for me. I have definetely improved tremendously since my last competition, i think that i have fixed most of my larger faults... I will post my next competition, which should be a small one, in the second week of october!

thanks alot man, all the best

7. Aprentice

Aprentice Blue Belt

Thanks man! I guess youre right, i have to stop overthinking it. You are right, there were wholes in my game even in the matches I won (specially finals, dead tired) and now these wholes are smaller. I will find out how much smaller in my next comp first week of october... I hope that my training structure will have made them alot smaller...

8. outonbail

outonbail Living My Dreams

your putting in enough time
    although i would hate it to go train 1 hour and then go back to work LOL
    probably smash everyone in the office