1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Training for children

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by dvermillion15, Jun 15, 2008.

1. EZA Joel Jamieson

The Russians believed that there is a finite period of about 8-10 years where an individual can reach their genetic potential for performance. Because of that, when they did their recruiting into their athletic programs they took the kids they believed were capable of becoming national level athletes and they began their training around the ages of 10 and intensivied their training in their early teens. These athletes would then reach their peak performances in their late teens and then be finished with competition.

The athletes they selected for Olympic level competition they did much less training with at young ages until about the age of 14 when they would then begin their intensive athletic development. They believed by waiting until the athletes were older to begin their intensive training programs they would be able to maximize their development and reach their peak performances in their early to mid 20s, which is when they believed phyiologically speaking the human body is primed to perform at the highest levels.

Their overall philosophy in general is that you should wait until the body is able to maximally respond and adapt before you use the most intense methods. If you use more intense methods at younger ages they will not be as effective when utilized later in life.

This is the same principle that conjugated loading was developed around by Verkhoshansky. You systematically replace the means and methods with more intense ones as each one starts to lose its effectiveness.

This is a very intelligent and well thought out philosophy of training children and athletes in general and has worked very well for the russians and eastern europeans for a long time.

2. God damn EZA, that's like the 4th amazing post I've read by you today. That's good shit man.

3. Chaos Mitten** Banned Banned

Unfortunately, German children are not taught about humor until they are 17 years old.

4. dvermillion15 Purple Belt

Thanks for all the contribution guys. Really apreciate it and that was my intention. I want to build up his endurance, hand eye cordination, flexability, form, balance, and motor skills. Obviously I am not going to force him, but he really wants to.

5. Lusst Red Belt

All bullshit aside dude, video games made my hand/eye coordination King Shit.

You should see me play Guitar Hero...

6. I'll smoke you...

7. Lusst Red Belt

Let me practice some more...I'm a bit away from finishing the Normal level.

As to how people do shit like this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-9ao_vOsZkg&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-9ao_vOsZkg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'll never know.

8. I'm not as good as that guy, but I'm nasty. I've beaten every song on expert except that one, and have gotten 5 stars on most of them as well. I win.

9. dvermillion15 Purple Belt

Wow, I only can do normal, and I cant even beat through the fire and flames or raining blood.

10. TrinitronMaximu Orange Belt

I'm the king of guitar hero mwuahah. Jordan, TTFAF on expert. But I stopped because there's no competition involved. if only i had been that good at halo or smash... :(

11. Merrill Purple Belt

12 year old kid who can play real guitar gets way more pussy than anyone playing Guitar Queero.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wO74rMcPfjE&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wO74rMcPfjE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

12. grrthetree Green Belt

Wow this thread got hijacked the fuck out of.

13. Merrill Purple Belt

This 8 year old Japanese kid is unreal.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qizRvpYHmrw&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qizRvpYHmrw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

14. w0cyru01 Purple Belt

You can lift more

15. JPC Purple Belt

You guys that can beat it on expert are all GEEKS. I beat it on normal and then got bored with it cause I'm not a GEEK!

16. dvermillion15 Purple Belt

so this thread got off topic real quick.

17. Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

bodyweight exercises, some overhead squats and very light olympic lifts are a good start.

as of now, your focus is to improve balance, coordination and motor skill learning. Once the kid hits puberty, then you can train him like any other indvidual

18. Meatpuppy Blue Belt

I bought this book and there is loads of infomation in it on training children. thanks EZA for telling me about this book

19. EZA Joel Jamieson

No problem, it really is one of the best books for training children out there. And yes you are correct in what your daughter should be working on. If you follow the guidelines outlined in the book I'm sure she'll do well.

20. megaseth7 Guest

I wouldnt suggest weight training programs so much as body weight programs. If I had a kid that age and wanted him or her to become more athletic I would encourage 6-12 of gymnastics. Why because what is probally best taught at that age is basic coordination.

From what I understand when they (eastern europeans) do strength training for children that young its usually with a broom stick...things like overhead squats, front squats, the snatch, the c and j...but just with a broom stick. That and simple jumping.