training enough?

gtsbjj12**

White Belt
Reaction score
hey guys,

I train 6 days per week, usually 2-3 hours per day. I go to the night classes on monday-friday and open mat sat. monday and wednesday I go from around 7-10, then tuesdays, thursdays and fridays 6-830 and saturday 12-2. I plan on competing in naga and grappler's quest in the next upcoming months. do you guys feel this is enough training for competing and doing well in these competitions? I know they're not world level at all, but they still will bring in some good competition from around southern FL.

Yeah man, that is a pretty good schedule. Its not enough to make you a world champ (unless you are a prodigy or something) but it is definitely good enough for you to be successful at local comps.

would training twice per day monday-friday be an almost world level schedule? I want to train as much as possible, but due to my school schedule, there's no way I can make morning class on tuesday or thursday and we don't have it on fridays. I'm also starting 1 private lesson per week every friday from 3-4.

To be a world champion, you would really have to ask your coaches and some actual world champions. I get the feeling they eat/breath/sleep BJJ.

Local stuff you should be ok.

I talked with JT Torres a few weeks back.

3 times a day training for when he's getting read to compete 6 days a week.

Morning - Drilling/light rolling or strength and condition (seemed to alternate days)
Mid afternoon - drilling/drilling/drilling moves
Night - grinding sessions of trying to murder each other or drilling sessions where you get a fresh person trying to pass your guard every minute etc.

would training twice per day monday-friday be an almost world level schedule? I want to train as much as possible, but due to my school schedule, there's no way I can make morning class on tuesday or thursday and we don't have it on fridays. I'm also starting 1 private lesson per week every friday from 3-4.

Yeah, just about. We have a few guys that have won worlds at purple and brown at my school and they usually get in 10-11 training sessions in per week and also do extra strength and conditioning on the side. To win at black belt level you would need to be doing even more than that of course and btw if you are interested in competing in the big comps like worlds you should really try to hit up the Miami open in 3 weeks. It will give you a feel for how IBJJF comps are, it will be a better experience than NAGA or GQ in my opinion.

Last edited:
Whats your goal in BJJ? Everyone is giving you the advice for how best to win the major competitions. Do you have a part-time job? Full-time? Panhandle? How long have you been doing jiu jitsu?

Whats your goal in BJJ? Everyone is giving you the advice for how best to win the major competitions. Do you have a part-time job? Full-time? Panhandle? How long have you been doing jiu jitsu?

I want to become the best bjj practitioner possible. I want to do many competitions and try to win at high levels. no job, but I am a student in college. I've been doing bjj for just under a year now.

troll_2.jpg

haha I swear I'm not a troll, man. you can even check my facebook if you want me to prove I'm in college, doing bjj, etc.

i don't think this is something others can answer for you. if you excel in skill and in performance at competition, then it's enough. if you aren't, then it's not enough..

Back