Training BJJ at home?

tylerL

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone I was wondering if training BJJ at home can be efficient. I come from a wrestling background (6 years of it) but I'm quitting wrestling this year because I cant stand the coach. But anyways I dont want to quit grappling, so I want to learn BJJ but there isnt a gym in my area. So im wondering about an efficient way to train at home (I have mats and my brother is interested to). Any tips would be helpful.

then check the Draculino online training or the Gracie online stuff.

Where do you live? Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, there should be some sort of school near you.

you live in the boonies? yeah i understand with the price of gas and 1.5 hr in rush hour may not be worth the drive. you should just stay in wrestling.

edit: are you wrestling in h.s atm? universities have judo club. do running start just to do judo =)

look on the internet and see if there's a Gracie garage or a tenth planet hotbox around somewhere

then check the Draculino online training or the Marcelo Garcia online stuff.

Fixed that for ya.

We don't need another person claiming he's a blue belt when he's never trained under anyone in person.

Ok, now I have to ask. What is a 10th Planet Hotbox? I've heard of Gracie Garages, but a quick googling doesn't show anything substantial about the hotboxes.

its the same thing as a gracie garage

except eddie doesn't make you buy his mats

I had the same problem but I bumped my post here a few times until eventually I found a place where a bunch of legit blue belts and a few decent white belts trained out of a blue belt's garage.

There are some decent instructional videos you can find on the internet. I did that for a while and it's better than nothing for sure but if you really wanna get better it's best to get some formal training.

its the same thing as a gracie garage

except eddie doesn't make you buy his mats

I see. I'm not too familiar with stuff like feet measurements, but 100 square feet of mats sounds like something obscenely expensive... and huge. I'm picturing a soccer field full of mats.

I see. I'm not too familiar with stuff like feet measurements, but 100 square feet of mats sounds like something obscenely expensive... and huge. I'm picturing a soccer field full of mats.

lol 100 square feet is like 9,3 square meters?

That would be about 3x3 meters of mats?

Imho you shouldn't have quit wrestling. When I took BJJ after wrestling I was able to roll with some of the blackbelts, though I quit because I had to move. But ANYWAY. I would never trust myself training at home without proper instruction.

I'd drive the 1,5-2 hours a few times to get some good basic training , than go and train the stuff you learned with your brother... write down the problems you experience , questions you have ...

And go to the bjj training again.

I guess you shouldnt learn the basics on your own and accustom to wrong habits.

But than again if you drive there and get some techniques properly explained, you can drill the shit out of them at home.

Visit the real school twice a month (or as often as you can) then train on your own with your buddies. It's not ideal, but you do need some real instruction. THe Gracie online stuff could supplement what you learn at class, but never replace it.

Ok I dont live in the boonies, I just live in a small town not really close to a real city, and Im 15 so I dont have my drivers license yet so I cant drive myself there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back