Training Age

LilLydi9

White Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys think the best age to start training is.

BJJ/Judo at an early age like 4-6, wrestling in high school/college, and heavy muay thai/sparring throughout adolescence.

Last edited:
Why do you think you should be able to start judo at 4, but have to wait until high school to wrestle?

Besides since this is in the standup forum my guess is he asking when one should start training striking arts.

To answer TS, everyone has their own opinion and it differs for the individual.

Why do you think you should be able to start judo at 4, but have to wait until high school to wrestle?

Besides since this is in the standup forum my guess is he asking when one should start training striking arts.

To answer TS, everyone has their own opinion and it differs for the individual.

Precisely why he asked for an OPINION not a definate answer.

You should probably wait until the body has developed properly, I know that people discouraged me from weighlifting until I was 16 but were more than happy to have my uncle show me throws and locks when I was 7 which I always found weird.

id say around 14-16.

I started training in MT when i was 16, i am now 21..Your body also starts to mature up around then and all that jazz.
I think the risk with people starting at a very young age is that they may lose the hunger, and just grow bored of it..but i guess you could say that with any sport.

As young as possible yet still be at an age where you can understand what is being taught. On my wrestling team I practiced with a guy that was an all American wrestler and he started at the age of 4. 12 Years of experience by the time you're 18 is pretty damn good in my opinion. Starting young can only do that.... more experience.

as young as possible for me. It teaches discipline and alot of other values I think all Children have learned. I took TKD when I was 6 then Kickboxing/krav maga/wrestling/Defendo at age 11 and now mma at age 16.

there's really no need to start before you're around 20. It's all hype

Back