Training again after a long break: Restart from scratch or pick up where I left off?

Marvin Covar

Amateur Fighter
@Brown
Reaction score
It's been close to a year since I last trained. I've been training for about 3 years prior to this and got burned out, became "carefree" and gained a few pounds.

Now, fast forward to about a month before Christmas, I started Bas' MMA Workout (the Thai Boxing cd's) up until now and rekindled the fire. I'm afraid that I might have picked up a few bad habits on my own so should I start from scratch or pick up where I left off?

I would start from scratch man you gotta get back into the shape you were before the lay-off IMO

Oh, and a side note, I'm not going back to training without a single shred of exercise. I used Bas's workout to get myself closer to the conditioning required for Muay Thai, but I already know my cardio will suck. lol So should I relearn the techniques from step 1, etc. or jump right in and go do pads, bag training and maybe a little sparring?

Are you planning to go to a gym? If so why dont you just go and see how you do. Depending on how much you knew it might be you just need to get your "ringrust" off.

im in the same boat as you, but first i need to get in shape before i start again.

It's been close to a year since I last trained. I've been training for about 3 years prior to this and got burned out, became "carefree" and gained a few pounds.

Now, fast forward to about a month before Christmas, I started Bas' MMA Workout (the Thai Boxing cd's) up until now and rekindled the fire. I'm afraid that I might have picked up a few bad habits on my own so should I start from scratch or pick up where I left off?

You train MT at Philippines right? What gym/chapter? Can i borrow your Bas' MMA CD?:D hahaha

you cant start from where you where but you dont need to go back to scratch take it easy at first and your technique will return

Focus on basics. Footwork. Drills. Fundamentals. You will not be starting from scratch because you have accumlated knowledge. But you can't pick up where you left because your body is not at that point. You'll have rust and that is to be expected. Guard yourself against bad habits, now is when you are most susceptable, your muscle memory is off and yet it all feels so familiar. (ie little things like dropping your hand before throwing a punch or leaning into your punch or dropping your head, etc, etc.)

Just got back from training. I didn't gas 'til after an hour, so I'm guessing this is good. There were quite a few bad habits that were corrected, I'm now working on re-ingraining them.

im in the same boat as you, but first i need to get in shape before i start again.

not to flame you, but lots of people use this as an excuse to push when they go to the gym away. I dont know that ive seen a gym where ive been told im not in good enough shape to go too.. thats kinda the point of going to the gym.

what im saying is jump on the horse and get in shape while you learn again. Thats if you want to do it.

wasnt trying to be an ass just pointing something out.

I say suck it up and get back in the gym, you'll be hurtin' for a week or so... Best to just jump back in head 1st.

not to flame you, but lots of people use this as an excuse to push when they go to the gym away. I dont know that ive seen a gym where ive been told im not in good enough shape to go too.. thats kinda the point of going to the gym.

what im saying is jump on the horse and get in shape while you learn again. Thats if you want to do it.

wasnt trying to be an ass just pointing something out.

well its more or a personal thing for me. id rather get in half decent shape before i jump back into it.

you dont understand how out of shape i have gotten. i use to be pretty ripped and lean, since then i have gained about 40 pounds, and its not muscle :redface:

it would just feel bad and i think insulting, to the trainer and fellow partners.

well its more or a personal thing for me. id rather get in half decent shape before i jump back into it.

you dont understand how out of shape i have gotten. i use to be pretty ripped and lean, since then i have gained about 40 pounds, and its not muscle :redface:

it would just feel bad and i think insulting, to the trainer and fellow partners.

I went to the gym 40+ pounds what i am now. i found myself saying for 6-8 months i wanted to get into shape before i tried it. long story short i never got into shape until i said screw it and went into the gym, and the weight shedded off.

One year hiatus you say? Dude not long at all. If anything its just a years worth of ring rust, i dont think all your muscle memory is obsolete yet.

Its like taking bong rips man (because weed and fighting are so similar :rolleyes:), if you havent taken one in a long time you're going to choke like a chicken. Then you just get used to it again.

lol bad analogy but you get the point. Its not like your lungs have totally forgotten the harsh burn of the smoke just like im sure your body hasnt forgot how it feels to be in combat. All it'll take is a little tune up and you're good to go. I dont see how you COULD start from scratch.

Ive been there several times lol.

Start by walk-jogs, some shadow boxing to 're-learn' proper form, then some punch bag. throw basic combos and mind the form first before power and speed. After a few sessions you can go back to clinch training and padwork.

goodluck kaibigan ;p

The biggest dis-service you can do to yourself is make excuses! I would be willing to bet the trainers and partners would agree. Throw out your ego and excuses and just get to the damn gym and work your ass off!

P.S: I speak from experience........ gained 20pds after I stopped playing college b-ball, that is how I found Muay Thai..... 2 months later 20pds gone!

Back