Training after ACL injury for Kickboxing or MMA

jacraydensky

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello

7 months ago i ruptured my right ACL and got surgery

i am pretty much "out of the rehabilitation period"

in the past i did some kickboxing, weight training, cardio..all kinds of stuff but my body is more geared toward

weightlifting (bulky type)

i would like to pursue mma (or at least kickboxing)

but am afraid i will rupture the knee again...

am pretty stable in most positions but there just are scenarios (like making a sudden move) where i am afraid it may rupture

the problem may be i never had any consistent kickboxing training in the past so i basically

am stuck in a more weightlifting/ bodybuilding type of body (pretty good strenght but not very mobile)

i would like if you could give me some tips/ directions as to how to pursue mma/ kickboxing

( grappling is pretty much out of the ecuation probably, i tried it in there;s an even better likelyhood the acl shall pop)

any suggestions?

should i just renounce the ideea of kickboxing altoghether also ?

you serious bro? i'm gonna bust my knee up
You'll still need to pivot in muay thai / MMA, so if boxing is out of the question, so are the others. As shitty as that sounds.

The only thing I can see is a modified form of BJJ where you only train from the bottom, leg attacks of all sorts are banned, take it slow on the sweeps, etc

I would rather train boxing than kickboxing after an ACL surgery. When you kick there is pressure on the standing leg...

I tore my ACL fully wrestlng 5-6 years ago. I boxed for a while without an ACL, it's doable, but my knee gave out a few times. I then got my ACL replaced 1½ years ago and have been doing MMA again for about 4-5 months. I am taking it easy on the grappling, but doing standup without too much of a hassle. I don't like to kick on my repaired leg though. It just doesn't feel right, and my motor pattern is not good. However, I am practicing the motions a lot and hope it'll get more comfortable. Luckely I am more of a boxer anyways and so far I've been able to grapple without any re-injury.

Boxing is without a doubt the best choice if you have had a torn ACL. Wrestling, grappling and kicking puts a lot more unpredictable pressure on your knees.

Most important part is your rehab and injury prep. You said you got ACL repair 7 months ago? You shouldn't even be thinking about going to classes after at least 9 months. 9-12 months is how long a ligament takes to regain whatever strenght it can. It takes a long time. You are at that spot where it feels pretty good, but it's actually very vulnerable.

You might be done with your mandatory rehab, but it can take years to develop sufficient strenght. You should always keep pre and rehabbing, especially after a tear. What exact exercises are you doing for it now?

PS: I'm an aspiring physio, so there's that too.

You can also try taping it to prevent the anterior translation but you'll need someone who knows how. And will have to shave your legs. Manliness.

Just box instead. You don't need to have your day ruined from one leg kick that lands a little low and tears up your ACL again

And will have to shave your legs. Manliness.

mj-laughing.gif

Everyone's wearing neon colored patterned spats these days, so it won't really make a difference anyways, lol.

Just box instead. You don't need to have your day ruined from one leg kick that lands a little low and tears up your ACL again
Not to mention landing wrong on a bad sweep, or some jagoff trying out oblique kicks cause they saw a Jones highlight reel

Ah the hipster jiu jiteiro and their spats....we have a few at my club, weirdo's (literally).

Back