Trained with Eddie Bravo yesterday

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Tyler Justice, Oct 23, 2005.

1. GracieStudent

GracieStudent Orange Belt

i actually have eddie vs royler..has everyone basically seen it? i'm a newbie so, you know

and if you did wanna see it is there anyway i can post it somewhere so everyone can see it? just wondering. it's pretty crazy to see royler tap... wow

2. The Man Monster

The Man Monster Orange Belt

PHWrestler, where do you train?
    And Eddie teaches in Cali for whoever was asking.

3. FutureBxer

FutureBxer Brown Belt

lol he's not so anti-gi as most ppl think.

I think he respects the gi and it's techniques for gi bjj..... just not for no-gi bjj and feels training no-gi is more beneficial for no-gi.

infact... last night at 10th planet we had gi night... which is supposedly once a year lol.

was funny to see eddie wearing the gi

4. Andre00

Andre00 Green Belt

10th Planet Jiu Jitsu is located at;
    7327 Santa Monica Blvd.
    in West Hollywood

what i've heard and read, he looks at it like this: you have so much time to practice bjj, you can split your time, and you'll be good at both. If you concentrate on one area (no gi) then you'll be great. No-Gi is more realistic for everyday settings.

I also have been to a Bravo seminar and it was great.
    lots of good moves and he breaks it down so you can remember it years later. Rather than the attitude of just do this and combined 5 moves together, he does it step by step.

5. fightme

fightme Green Belt

I have Eddie Bravo's book and the Twister video. The dude is no joke. His book completely changed the way I think about the half-guard. While I still train with a gi most times I have started embracing the no-gi game a lot more.

I had some questions about some the techniques in his book. I sent him and e-mail and he answer it the same day. If you use the sh*t that he teaches against someone that hasn't train using his techniques then you will own them.

If I'm ever down in L.A. I plan on training at his school.

http://www.thetwister.tv/10PJJ.htm

My .02

TMG

6. FutureBxer

FutureBxer Brown Belt

his school is tight man. lots of cool guys there and lots of shit to learn.

7. ATTGrappler

ATTGrappler Banned Banned

In Eddie's book "Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed" he talks about how while training with Jean Jacques Machado he learned to use underhook and overhooks so well to control his opponents. He learned this from watching his instructor Jean Jacques because of course, Jean Jacques has no fingers on his left hand. With all the Gi jiu-jitsu that Eddie was taking he watched how Machado controlled with underhooks because obviously he could not ever grab a sleeve or collar with that left hand.

No disrespect to the GI but I doubt I will ever train in it. If your ultimate goal is to do MMA and nothing else then why waste your time learning GI stuff. Eddie ultimately isn't anti-gi he says that through his experience that people who train with the GI ultimately rely on GI techniques, such as holding a collar or a sleeve. Once you're in a fight and you go for a collar and there isn't one and you go for a sleeve and there isn't one, well of course you see where I'm going. Training specifically NoGI (especially this variation) and only no gi further negates the possibility to develop and habits (good or bad) that the GI may have or require (by good ones I mean the ones that work but which require a sleeve or collar that isn't there, which would in turn not be good at all, woah).

Necessity is the mother of invention so if you have no sleeves or collars to grab then invent lockdowns and under/overhooks that work instead.

Joe Rogan makes a very good point in the promotional video on 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu's website when he calls Bravo a "Jiu-Jitsu Revolutionary" and says, "people look at Jiu-Jitsu differently now because they have to because if you roll against them and you don't know this shit, you're fucked!" I agree, if you have good traditional nogi jiu-jitsu and you roll against someone your same skill level but using the techniques taught at 10th Planet or that follows his concepts I guarantee you'll be on the losing end 75%-100% of the time. This is coming from a student of ATT main facility. It's just works best I don't know how else to put it, if you want to be more effective give it a shot....I think the book is $16.