Trained at Cicero Costha PSLPB

Difeco

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I went there for the noon class, but arrived 11AM. There was a black/brown only training going on and the Miyao's were dominating everybody with DLR/Lapel/Worm stuff. On a side note, Yago Souza and Igor Schneider were pretty awesome too.

The atmosphere is something different. It's a "kill or be killed" place. But don't get me wrong, it's also a friendly enviroment, it's just not so friendly to the occasional bjj practitioner (It's also not so clean, but it's a social project with little to no money invested, so that's understandable).

12AM: I introduced myself to Cicero (I've talked to him via facebook previously) and He tells me that it's 1 hour drilling and 1 hour of sparring, and that he wouldn't charge me nothing for the training. I don't think that would be the same if I were a 'gringo' (so don't expect to go there and train for free).

We drilled whatever submissions we wanted (because it was "submission week"), and started sparring.
It's INTENSE, it's almost prohibited to sit out for one round. 8 minutes of sparring x 2 minutes of rest. (the Miyao's were training the noon class too, right after the 11AM class full of killers).
I'm a purple belt and I compete occasionally, so I could hang with Cicero's blue belts...but most purple belts (and above) smashed me.

By the end Cicero talked about the Abu Dhabi Trials and the Europeans, while everybody was sitting on the floor listening. He also ranted about leaving shoes and backpacks in the wrong place and checking social media instead of warming up. He was trying to tell the guys to be good in the gym, so they could be good outside...to lead by example.
I took a photo with Paulo (Jo

Very cool –*I didn't train while there but this matches my experiences. Insanely hard training at CCPSLPB!

Sounds awesome.

I like that kind of training environment. We don't do that all the time where I train, but occasionally we will have days set up that way. Just free drilling and then sparring.

If you have a dedicated group, you can learn a ton just by doing classes like that.

Sounds awesome.

I like that kind of training environment. We don't do that all the time where I train, but occasionally we will have days set up that way. Just free drilling and then sparring.

If you have a dedicated group, you can learn a ton just by doing classes like that.

I only go to one formal class a week, mostly just for formality's sake. The majority of my training is self organized and I do exactly what Cicero does, an hour of drills and an hour of sparring. You really only need a few other guys who are willing to train like that for it to become your main training method.

I only go to one formal class a week, mostly just for formality's sake. The majority of my training is self organized and I do exactly what Cicero does, an hour of drills and an hour of sparring. You really only need a few other guys who are willing to train like that for it to become your main training method.

The difference is that almost everyone at C

What do these kids do for money? I mean how do they eat and shit? Training like that I would be starving.

Some of them live at the academy. All they have to do is eat, and most of them have sponsors and parents, so there you go...

I've seen enough videos of that place to know it's exactly like you are describing. Not a hobbyist gym at all. LOL Very cool experience.

Wow sounds awesome, would love to visit.

That's awesome! I remember on that BJJ Hacks vid that during drilling a lot of times (or all the time?) that there's a theme and you can basically drill whatever you like. We do that sometimes. So did you just drill submissions from a whole series, (for example a pass, to the back, to a choke) or was it more like a submission from a more static position? Also, once you started working on something, did you kinda have to stick with that submission, or you could basically do different things? I imagine the latter for some reason, since it seemed like you were basically responsible for your own training.

That's great that you got to train there! If I ever go to Brazil, I'd love to.

Even if youre a gringo he will let you train for free

Even cooler. @Difeco mentoned a social project? So it's almost like a non-profit?

That's awesome! I remember on that BJJ Hacks vid that during drilling a lot of times (or all the time?) that there's a theme and you can basically drill whatever you like. We do that sometimes. So did you just drill submissions from a whole series, (for example a pass, to the back, to a choke) or was it more like a submission from a more static position? Also, once you started working on something, did you kinda have to stick with that submission, or you could basically do different things? I imagine the latter for some reason, since it seemed like you were basically responsible for your own training.

Even cooler. @Difeco mentoned a social project? So it's almost like a non-profit?

- No, it's divided by weeks. One week for sweeps, one week for subs, one for passes and one for takedowns. When I went there it was submission week.

- It's not non-profit. For what I know, ONLY THE NOON CLASS IS FREE. I didn't want to risk by saying it's free to gringos, because maybe people could decide to go there based on this post.
But now we know :)
His social project that I mentioned is for (talented) guys that really can't pay or afford to live in S

Yeah, it is. There's paying students but Cicero says it's only to maintain the place (water, rent, etc.), even it's a low price monthly. Cicero also maintain a place for all the guys from others states to stay, sometimes he helps with money ot the guys eat. Cicero is one of the humblest human being I know.

Last edited:
Do they do any kind of strength/weights/conditioning on the side? Seems like a bit too intense

so how do you maintain that level of intensity (2 hrs training + side workout). Multiple times a week

Back