International Tragedy at sea claims 31 lives in deadliest day of Channel crisis

Does Europe not have any coast guard? Anybody patrolling their borders? How are people entering Europe via lifeboat and a paddle?
French police apparently stood by and watched these migrants load up. That's why the UK are keen to get British patrols on the French side. I doubt the French will go for it though because if they really are letting the migrants go unchallenged they don't want the UK to find out on what scale and it would mean more migrants stuck in France.

50913229-10238171-At_least_27_migrants_have_drowned_in_the_Channel_attempting_to_c-a-10_1637830583577.jpg

It's a shocking tragedy and one that everybody though was inevitable.

It's sad that it's becoming a political football between Britain and France as politicians pander to their bases on both sides of the channel.

France needs to step up here. It's not as if these people carried a boat from Syria to Normandy on their backs. Its local criminals facilitating this.

Also, it's deeply ironic that Britain passed a Brexit referendum largely off the back of anti-immigrant fearmongering and that very Brexit has resulted in an increase of immigrants coming to Britain.
I think that might be partly why France seems to be letting them come across, it's a fuck you for Brexit. We'll see how they respond. We are calling for UK patrols on the French side. So we'll call their bluff and see how they respond to that.

French police apparently stood by and watched these migrants load up. That's why the UK are keen to get British patrols on the French side. I doubt the French will go for it though because if they really are letting the migrants go unchallenged they don't want the UK to find out on what scale and it would mean more migrants stuck in France.

50913229-10238171-At_least_27_migrants_have_drowned_in_the_Channel_attempting_to_c-a-10_1637830583577.jpg

I was going to post that picture. Yes France have turned it down. Last I read is that Britain are looking to send them to Albania at a massive cost. I was in France after brexit (that also coincided with English fans smashing up a few french towns) and several locals I met on nights out said things to the effect of “let them move the jungle to England” I’m sure those kind of opinions were not isolated. Theres very little political motivation for the french authorities to crack down on this, especially since they are no longer obliged to do so.

I think that might be partly why France seems to be letting them come across, it's a fuck you for Brexit. We'll see how they respond. We are calling for UK patrols on the French side. So we'll call their bluff and see how they respond to that.

What a ridiculous request.

Exactly what I mean about grandstanding for the political base instead of solutions.

Terrible tragedy, I hate hearing about this stuff.

On the other hand, I also despise illegal immigration.

If governments (Hello, America) would immediately deport any attempted illegal immigrant, instead of giving them handouts for life, this shit would stop immediately.
This...
if there's no reward at the end of the journey...they won't even get on the dinghy in the first place...

31 people and out of those on the raft only 5 were women?

Guys escape to 3rd world while leaving their women to struggle in poverty... What a shame.

R.I.P. to the deceased.
These boats are always full of fighting age men, this is a war but no one wants to say it.

What a ridiculous request.

Exactly what I mean about grandstanding for the political base instead of solutions.
I thought it was a good idea. What's ridiculous about it? The French claim to be overwhelmed, there is over 100km of french coast to patrol, we are already paying them money to do the patrols, there are photos of them ignoring the migrants as they load up, and they say they are willing to cooperate with the UK to save lives.

Last edited:
I was going to post that picture. Yes France have turned it down. Last I read is that Britain are looking to send them to Albania at a massive cost. I was in France after brexit (that also coincided with English fans smashing up a few french towns) and several locals I met on nights out said things to the effect of “let them move the jungle to England” I’m sure those kind of opinions were not isolated. Theres very little political motivation for the french authorities to crack down on this, especially since they are no longer obliged to do so.
I guessed they would. As you say they have no motivation whatsoever to stop it from happening. Interesting to hear what you heard in France post-Brexit.

This is almost like what Belarus is trying to do to Poland, short of arranging the flights and visas.

I guessed they would. As you say they have no motivation whatsoever to stop it from happening. Interesting to hear what you heard in France.

I haven’t been back in a few years and they did have the actions of the English hooligans fresh in their minds granted but they all seemed adamant that with Brexit the UK would end up having camps like the jungle on their soil

Last edited:
I haven’t been back in a few years and they did have actions of the English hooligans fresh in their minds granted but they all seemed adamant that with Brexit the UK would end up having camps like the jungle on their soil
Well they knew better than our politicians and the idiots who voted for it.

How about whoever rescues the most immigrants from a patch of water also gain the fishing rights there? Solve two of the major Anglo-Franco problems.

Sounds more like a Darwin Award than a tragedy IMO

The real question is why are they fleeing France

I suspect a lot of them already have friends and/or family here to help them with work etc in the UK , also once they get here they are extremely unlikely to be removed initial applications take years to process and even if they are then refused very few end up actually being deported .

Back