Tracey Goodell Blue to Brown? Legit

nobody accuses you of sandbagging?

None of the NAGA guys have ever said anything to me and I have been to enough NAGAs that several of them know me now. I am still a blue belt after all.

None of the NAGA guys have ever said anything to me and I have been to enough NAGAs that several of them know me now. I am still a blue belt after all.

why do you think it's different for nogi v gi, as far as having to go up a level for winning the tourney?

I think a lot of it has to do with gi BJJ having clear and identifiable rank. A lot of BJJ tournaments will not let you fight up a belt rank, period. Also as a whole I don't think some people enjoy competing against a person of lower rank since it kind of represents a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario. If you bet a person of lower rank, then big deal of coarse you should have beat them. On the other hand if you lose, then it can be viewed as a public embarrassment.

I remember a Lutador tournament where I was fighting in the purple belt division as a blue belt. The buddies of the guy I was facing were all laughing about him having to face a blue belt. Well I ended up beating the guy 5-0 and winning the division. I imagine the guy caught some slack from his friend from losing to a blue belt. Some people will view losing to a lower rank as an embarrassment and an indictment of their skill and rank.

In no gi there isn't any clear indication of rank. Which presents a couple of problems. Competitors who lose will be more likely to cry about sandbaggers because there is no rank to go by and years of grappling is used instead. So it is easy to claim the only reason you lost is because the other guy was sandbagging since there is no clear indication of rank to refute the assertion.

I believe NAGA implemented the rule of having to compete up a division if you win a lower division in no-gi to combat not only legitimate cases of sandbagging, but also the perception of sandbagging.

fuck that. this thread is pure shit. and to you, TS, and anyone questioning the validity of her rank....

VP_haters_gonna_hate.png

And stupid is as stupid does...:icon_chee

shut up hater

If you read my original post, you would know I said the girl was a great grappler, and I had no opinion as to her ranking. And if you knew me, you would know that I don't hate anybody! Not even narrow minded people who can't handle someone elses opinion!

I like how the haters state: Its based on mat time or you gotta pay your dues. What they fail to notice is that like many of these other "stars" (for lack of better words) they are essentially professional grapplers. They train 8 plus hours a day 5-6 days a week. They put in more mat time in week than most of these haters put in a month.

How a you hate or say someone is non deserving if they train that much, 40 + hours a week and prove themselves at tournaments.

Ding ding ding ding! Exactly, think about this if she trains 6 days a week 3 times a day for 2 hour blocks. That means in one year she has spent 1728 hours on the mat. Against say the average person who trains 3 times a week for 2 hours, every week for a year. That totals= 288 hours on the mat. The average person gets their black belt in 10 years they have averaged around 2880 hours on the mat. In three years if she trains consistently she has almost doubled the amount of mat time compared to your average black belt. (5,184). There's no secret it's just hard work, but when put in perspective it's no wonder why they're doing well. (Not to say they aren't talented though, but add talent on top of it and shit...)

oh. my. gawd. is it just me or did lloyd talk and talk and talk and actually say very little? yarg.

i have absolutely no investment in criticizing anybody's rank but my own. congrats to tracy. sounds like an incredible accomplishment!

LOL.

After I watched this video...

I decided...
i%27d+hit+that.jpg
[/

Oh I definitely agree, on the subject of her ability though (and this has been pointed out by others before) Irvin has a reputation of cherry picking very talented people from other schools. As Tracey said in the beginning "they only had three classes a week at the school I started at". Then she went into how she became associated with Lloyd.

The guy is very good at picking up on talent and pushing them a lot further and harder than a majority of us. 99% of us wouldn't even get a second look from Irvin, one curiosity I have is does he have anyone at the elite level that started out as a day one off the street white belt. That is something I've never seen but not saying there aren't any. I'm sure there are some that will start to come out as people will start to seek him out for training.

As far as women training, there is rarely the middle ground, the women are either dedicated to it or they quit, it isn't like the guys that show up once every couple weeks for a few months or get motivated whenever a major tournament/MMA fight is coming up. Additionally the women area almost always outweighed and out muscled by their male training partners. So there is a stronger weeding out of women in class, so the women that do last have to develop quick, so in that light it makes sense that they would develop quicker to a point hence why you see more parity of women purple belts to women black belts and in between than you do with male purple belts to male black belts.

Either way, if someone wants to bitch about it and feels they are being slighted, send Irvin a tape of yourself and see if he invites you to train with him. When he says "no" you will know why someone like Tracey is progressing so fast and you are not.

Oh I definitely agree, on the subject of her ability though (and this has been pointed out by others before) Irvin has a reputation of cherry picking very talented people from other schools. As Tracey said in the beginning "they only had three classes a week at the school I started at". Then she went into how she became associated with Lloyd.

The guy is very good at picking up on talent and pushing them a lot further and harder than a majority of us. 99% of us wouldn't even get a second look from Irvin, one curiosity I have is does he have anyone at the elite level that started out as a day one off the street white belt. That is something I've never seen but not saying there aren't any. I'm sure there are some that will start to come out as people will start to seek him out for training.

As far as women training, there is rarely the middle ground, the women are either dedicated to it or they quit, it isn't like the guys that show up once every couple weeks for a few months or get motivated whenever a major tournament/MMA fight is coming up. Additionally the women area almost always outweighed and out muscled by their male training partners. So there is a stronger weeding out of women in class, so the women that do last have to develop quick, so in that light it makes sense that they would develop quicker to a point hence why you see more parity of women purple belts to women black belts and in between than you do with male purple belts to male black belts.

Either way, if someone wants to bitch about it and feels they are being slighted, send Irvin a tape of yourself and see if he invites you to train with him. When he says "no" you will know why someone like Tracey is progressing so fast and you are not.

not sure but this sounds like somewhat of a backhanded compliment . . . like a subtle knock on LI.

not sure but this sounds like somewhat of a backhanded compliment . . . like a subtle knock on LI.

Depends on how you look at it, taking people from other schools for your competition team in some corners is looked down on. On the converse side, those people have developed a lot quicker working with Lloyd than they did at their other schools so some credit has to be given to Lloyd for that. Tracey started training in 06 so she spent time in the white and blue belt realm for three years, she progressed two belts in one year with Lloyd you have to give the guy some credit. I could give you a lump of Damascus steel that doesn't guarantee you could make a quality knife.

Depends on how you look at it, taking people from other schools for your competition team in some corners is looked down on. On the converse side, those people have developed a lot quicker working with Lloyd than they did at their other schools so some credit has to be given to Lloyd for that. Tracey started training in 06 so she spent time in the white and blue belt realm for three years, she progressed two belts in one year with Lloyd you have to give the guy some credit. I could give you a lump of Damascus steel that doesn't guarantee you could make a quality knife.

but where is your evidence that he is actively poaching from other schools?

what if it's the other way around. as in, people are coming to him instead of vice versa. if people like what they see and join his gym as a result, i don't think LI should be faulted for that.

but where is your evidence that he is actively poaching from other schools?

what if it's the other way around. as in, people are coming to him instead of vice versa. if people like what they see and join his gym as a result, i don't think LI should be faulted for that.

In that interview TSOM posted she even said she didn't know who Lloyd was. This has been talked about ad nauseam about Lloyd "poaching" people from other gyms. I'm sure some do approach him especially since the success of some of his students. It has been widely discussed on here about people like Ryan Hall were approached by Lloyd. For the most part these people don't pay to train with Lloyd, but he does expect them to produce. If you don't produce at tournaments then your free ride is cut.

Do a search on here or just about any other website with a BJJ forum and you will find the proof you are looking for. Again this subject has been done to death.

The reason Lloyd is so polarizing is because he puts out videos like the one with Tracey, he is a publicity machine. It has been said many times by many people on here, "like him as an instructor, don't like him as a public relations person"

In that interview TSOM posted she even said she didn't know who Lloyd was. This has been talked about ad nauseam about Lloyd "poaching" people from other gyms. I'm sure some do approach him especially since the success of some of his students. It has been widely discussed on here about people like Ryan Hall were approached by Lloyd. For the most part these people don't pay to train with Lloyd, but he does expect them to produce. If you don't produce at tournaments then your free ride is cut.

Do a search on here or just about any other website with a BJJ forum and you will find the proof you are looking for. Again this subject has been done to death.

The reason Lloyd is so polarizing is because he puts out videos like the one with Tracey, he is a publicity machine. It has been said many times by many people on here, "like him as an instructor, don't like him as a public relations person"

she said she didnt know who lloyd was when she got in contact with mike fowler and started training with him.

dont know the whole story, and we cant just assume and make up random details based on this video, not enough info at all.

It sounded like Mike Fowler referred her. I'm not sure if this is a case of poaching.

the problem i have with this is that the proof you speak of is just more hearsay and gossip from internet forums.

so there is a problem with lloyd getting people who he sees having potential and not making them pay to train with him and improving their skills better/faster than their current school? And promoting them/getting there name out there.

This is an outrage! how dare he?

Back