Tracey Goodell Blue to Brown? Legit

A few local competitions is different to a few competitions like pan-ams, NY Open etc...

The possibility exists, in judo as well as BJJ, for those exceptional students to advance faster.

I bet you would not complain if it were YOU who got promoted. I bet you WOULD complain about "sandbagging" if someone dominated your division for 2 years instead of moving up a division.

Ive been watching Tracey Goodell and she is a grappler. But she went from blue to brown very quickly.

Is this deserving?

My opinion

just because she was winning all those tournaments does not mean u get promoted. maybe dominate for 2 two years in a row. if you look at the internview she won 1 tournments as white belt and was promoted to bliue right away. Me i won my first 4 tournaments as white and still had to wait a long time before i got promoted to blue.

BJJ is about payiung your dues. Look at Kron, he was for sure a black but was held back and paid his dues than got to black

thats my opinion anyways

YouTube - Tracey Goodell Blue to Brown Part 2

Holy Fail Batman!

Why you playa hatin so hard?

You may be right. You should go to Lloyd Irvin's academy and tell him that and see how that blows over. Hahahahah.

Let me know how it goes Mr Hater.

None of those named have done anything to amazing at Blackbelt.......it seems as if their lacking that long term experience other bb have but lloyd guys dont have.

Ryan Hall won third at ADCC, and just won two weight classes up at the Chicago Open, as well as the open weight. At Mundials he submitted his first two opponents in a combined 3 minutes, before losing to Rafael Mendes 5-2 in the quarterfinal. He recently subbed Wilson Reis in a superfight, and more recently beat Hermes Franca in a superfight while deathly ill.

JT Torres is probably the next American black belt Mundial champion, won second this year at the Brasileiros, including a submission win over Lepri. He also won his black belt division at the NY Open, as well as the open weight division. He fucking took it to Durinho at Mundials as well, and this is including the smaller stuff (GQ black belts open weights, etc)

Fowler I believe won the open weight of last years Asian Open. I believe he took second or third in his weight at the NY Open as well.

So keep saying stupid shit...

LI produced Hall, Fowlet, JT, Vera and I'm sure I'm missing some. So if he wants to give someone a belt id agree with him because I haven't seen him giving any spencer pratts brown belts.

Lol@ Lloyd Irvin "producing" JT.

Uhh if you win a gold medal at mundials doesn't that technically make you the best grappler in the world at your division/belt? So why wouldn't you be awarded the next belt?

Ive been watching Tracey Goodell and she is a grappler. But she went from blue to brown very quickly.

Is this deserving?

My opinion

just because she was winning all those tournaments does not mean u get promoted. maybe dominate for 2 two years in a row. if you look at the internview she won 1 tournments as white belt and was promoted to bliue right away. Me i won my first 4 tournaments as white and still had to wait a long time before i got promoted to blue.

BJJ is about payiung your dues. Look at Kron, he was for sure a black but was held back and paid his dues than got to black

thats my opinion anyways

YouTube - Tracey Goodell Blue to Brown Part 2

It wasn't just a jump from blue to brown in 1 yr. She was promoted from blue to purple, then dominated the nationals, worlds and pan ams at purple belt. She cleared out world class purple belt competitors, skill wise she was ready. She may only have been training for 4+ years, but she is a legit brown belt.

Watch her match with ADCC black belt world champ Penny (Marshall) Thomas,Tracey controlled the pace, sub attempts and where the match took place, losing 2-0 to Penny after 10 minutes. Even Eddie Bravo was doubting her quick promotion at the beginning of the bout, by halfway through he was still amazed at her skill.

Only and years is pretty stupid to say when these people clearly train fulltime

The original guidelines are outdated and probably count on people training 3-4 times a week tops.

Ryan Hall won third at ADCC, and just won two weight classes up at the Chicago Open, as well as the open weight. At Mundials he submitted his first two opponents in a combined 3 minutes, before losing to Rafael Mendes 5-2 in the quarterfinal. He recently subbed Wilson Reis in a superfight, and more recently beat Hermes Franca in a superfight while deathly ill.

JT Torres is probably the next American black belt Mundial champion, won second this year at the Brasileiros, including a submission win over Lepri. He also won his black belt division at the NY Open, as well as the open weight division. He fucking took it to Durinho at Mundials as well, and this is including the smaller stuff (GQ black belts open weights, etc)

Fowler I believe won the open weight of last years Asian Open. I believe he took second or third in his weight at the NY Open as well.

So keep saying stupid shit...

yeah but none of them have cured cancer so they aren't legit. Come on man, get with the program don't you know it's better to rip on other people than actually worry about your own training.

some tournaments require you to move up to the next level if you win your division, this is from naga website (Please note, if you placed 1st in a prior NAGA event you MUST move up a skill level!)

Does this apply to the gi in their events? I can see for no gi, but if you win at Blue why would they make you compete at purple next time even if you are still a blue belt?

None of those named have done anything to amazing at Blackbelt.......it seems as if their lacking that long term experience other bb have but lloyd guys dont have.

Imo, Torres, Fowler and Hall are all doing terrific at Black belt level. None has won the mundials....yet....but look at the guys they are beating and look at the divisions they are in. Pena, Leve and Medio are all super tough divisions and almost everyone that is in those divisions is amazing.

Does this apply to the gi in their events? I can see for no gi, but if you win at Blue why would they make you compete at purple next time even if you are still a blue belt?

Why would it make sense for nogi but not for gi?

Why would it make sense for nogi but not for gi?

Because with the gi on you are at a certain belt level unless promoted by your instructor whereas in nogi matters are less complicated. I guess this kind of touches on the debate about whether or not it's ok to compete up a belt level in tournaments or not.

Coming onto an internet forum and complaining about someone else getting a belt promotion is a sucker move.

THIS^

Here is the main old thread about this for the OP: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/blue-brown-30-days-1253273/

Here were her accomplishments for 2010 prior to getting her brown belt:

*blue belt gold at this years brasilieros
*double blue belt gold at this years New York open
*double blue belt gold at this years pan ams
*double purple belt gold at the mundials

The concept of 'paying dues' is a retarded notion that sadly exists in BJJ and fortunately doesn't in judo, sambo, wrestling or nogi.

That's pretty darn telling.

She is quite impressive. And cute.

lol tsom ftw.

-----
TS unless you actually train with the person, you shouldn't criticize them for "fast promotions." She's done extremely well in competitions (proving it at the highest level) and who knows how often she trains. There are people who train full-time, several times a week, couple times a day, and also teach. Use some logic. One person who trains for a year could log 100 hours and the other can log over 500. The quality of instruction and people you roll with also play into the equation.

It wasn't just a jump from blue to brown in 1 yr. She was promoted from blue to purple, then dominated the nationals, worlds and pan ams at purple belt. She cleared out world class purple belt competitors, skill wise she was ready. She may only have been training for 4+ years, but she is a legit brown belt.

Watch her match with ADCC black belt world champ Penny (Marshall) Thomas,Tracey controlled the pace, sub attempts and where the match took place, losing 2-0 to Penny after 10 minutes. Even Eddie Bravo was doubting her quick promotion at the beginning of the bout, by halfway through he was still amazed at her skill.

Yep. Also, I understand the point system is there, and is a very good system, but Tracey obviously controlled the pace of the match with Penny and pretty much won the match. Obviously Penny got her 2 points early on, but Tracey controlled all of that match.

Because with the gi on you are at a certain belt level unless promoted by your instructor whereas in nogi matters are less complicated. I guess this kind of touches on the debate about whether or not it's ok to compete up a belt level in tournaments or not.

why on earth would that be a problem?

you might have a very specific game due to a judo or wreslting background but lack the over all knowledge

As a Super Super heavy I would for sure like that they mashed divisions together so I could have more matches. Only done one open and I was paired up with a purple and he won on points just for having my back and doing nothing for 6 minutes (I scored two takedowns)

Back