Towson wins national debate

Was it mentioned that this is a debate format? From what I understand, the debates are scored on points made vs. points refuted, therefore, the optimal strategy is called spreading: make as many points as possible in your allotted time, making it as difficult as possible for your opponent to respond to every point that you made.

Given that this is the optimal strategy given the format (which the Towson students didn't invent, btw), why is everyone all like "...I just read this book by Nicholas Wade, and..." all of a sudden?

Presumably, if they were white kids from NYU who had won the debate format this thread wouldn't even exist, and Jared Taylor wouldn't have made an appearance.

Yikes, guys.

Is spamming the N-bomb part of the format? lol

It's not racist to say that the format is dumb. But a lot of the comments don't stop there. A lot of the comments are more directed towards the debaters than the debate format itself. Like, how all these debaters did was say niqqa a bunch of times to beat kids from elite institutions. That's a little racialized IMO, insofar as ebonics is. It's a problem to some people here that speaking like that could lead one to success.
It has been pointed out that the other teams were also talking as fast as they could.
So, now it is racist to point out the usage of N----r? Or ebonics, which is a term for African American Vernacular English.
The Towson team is in the OP, of course most of the comments are going to be about them; you think the comments should be about teams that aren't in the video? If that was happening someone would probably post that posters are being racist for ignoring the Towson team.

I don't see how speaking like that could lead one to success outside of this debate competition or a career as an auctioneer.

Speaking out against this debate will cost you your basketball team.

Free Sterling!

Outside of this Martialarts guy (who is obviously obsessed with race) and maybe a couple others, most are commenting on how retarded this so-called debate is, and how yes, if that is the format, then it's terrible. It's shouldn't be racist to point out how dumb this is.

I'm not obsessed with race, I'm simply not afraid of discussing obvious issues. Your last sentence proves my point, you can also google "racist" or "racist hoax" and see how irrational Americans tend to deal with racial issues. The racial achievement gap is real, racial tensions are real, and it is fact that cultures always change along with demographic changes. I find it interesting and relevant, you clearly have some difficulties with this, which is common.

It's not racist to say that the format is dumb. But a lot of the comments don't stop there. A lot of the comments are more directed towards the debaters than the debate format itself. Like, how all these debaters did was say niqqa a bunch of times to beat kids from elite institutions. That's a little racialized IMO, insofar as ebonics is. It's a problem to some people here that speaking like that could lead one to success.

You are not aware of the fact that in multi-ethnic America, there is a lot of pressure on making decisions involving minorities?

An obvious example is the Police Department which asked Henry Louis Gates for an ID after he tried to open his door without a key, President Obama then criticized police officers simply for doing their job, because it might have been "racist". Naturally this is not the case, but there are thousands of such examples in the Western world.

I don't see any argument why I and others cannot discuss that demographic changes cause cultural changes. This again proves my point though, there is a lot of pressure on these subjects, and those who confront political taboos are not greeted kindly. The Taylor video gave additional background to the political views which are common on Towson University, and are of obvious interest to those who are not, like you, afraid to discuss such issues.

You are not aware of the fact that in multi-ethnic America, there is a lot of pressure on making decisions involving minorities?

An obvious example is the Police Department which asked Henry Louis Gates for an ID after he tried to open his door without a key, President Obama then criticized police officers simply for doing their job, because it might have been "racist". Naturally this is not the case, but there are thousands of such examples in the Western world.

I don't see any argument why I and others cannot discuss that demographic changes cause cultural changes. This again proves my point though, there is a lot of pressure on these subjects, and those who confront political taboos are not greeted kindly. The Taylor video gave additional background to the political views which are common on Towson University, and are of obvious interest to those who are not, like you, afraid to discuss such issues.

Agree with all of this but wanted to say as an alumnus of Towson I wouldn't call these views common to the university.

Back